Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jstar002

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
I am considering which AT&T plan to get...

Is 1 gig of data enough if I will probably spend 2 hours a day surfing but not streaming videos or youtube/movies at all. Just forums, sites like Macrumors, twitter Latimes and other web sites... I surf around a lot though...

I maybe get around 100 e-mails a day max from all my e-mail accounts...

Do you think 1 gig will be enough?

jstar002

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
I did use the calculator btw http://www.att.com/att/datacalculator/#fbid=CRMZUhni-Co

Max number of emails I put as 3600 emails to be safe

I probably will visit at least 50 pages a day though... maybe 100 since lte is so fast so I dunno... I surf a lot. My blackberry takes 35-40 seconds to load a page and I still spend hours surfing on it daily... I only have a desktop so I use my phone for browsing when lying in bed etc.

I actually do have wireless but just curious how much data it would use if I didn't have wireless...

Which plan should I get?

I only have 1 line....However I'm considering the mobile share plan cause it comes with unlimited talk and text plus 1 gig of data for $85...

Second option is the individual plan with 450 min w/rollover and 5,000 night and weekend minutes ($39.33), 3 gigs of data ($30), unlimited text ($20).... for a total of $90...

It would be nice to have unlimited talk and text...

I actually work from home so I do have wireless. However, I read a topic on here about people still being charged for data while using wireless so it could be an issue.

And just in case I end up leaving my house more often and needing to use data... you never know...

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
How often are you able to connect to wifi? I'm almost always able to connect, so I don't use much data through AT&T.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
AT&T an unlimited messaging with unlimited mobile to any mobile plan (unlimited calling to and from any mobile phone on any carrier) for $20. Same price as unlimited texting alone.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Maybe they call a lot of businesses / land lines. Seems like this is a good option for you since you'll get 3gb of data and unlimited mobile calling for an extra $5 compared to the 1gb plan you were considering.

Less worrying about going over your data.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
I think you're over thinking it. Use wifi whenever it's available. I don't even watch my data usage during the month and I've never used more than 500mb.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
photo.png

Depends on your usage. I've had these stats unreset for about a year and see how much data I've used.

I think you would need more than 1GB. 100 pages a day is a lot. But I wouldn't say more than 3GB.

If you have Sprint LTE in your area, you might want to consider it. It's unlimited. And sure the LTE isn't *as* fast but past 10Mb/s you wont even notice

jstar002

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
photo.png

Depends on your usage. I've had these stats unreset for about a year and see how much data I've used.

I think you would need more than 1GB. 100 pages a day is a lot. But I wouldn't say more than 3GB.

If you have Sprint LTE in your area, you might want to consider it. It's unlimited. And sure the LTE isn't *as* fast but past 10Mb/s you wont even notice

From what I read on the Sprint boards its very spotty in my area (L.A). They are still in the process of getting it covered so some areas have it while others don't. I don't want to risk it and then get stuck with slow data. Who knows how long it could take.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
From what I read on the Sprint boards its very spotty in my area (L.A). They are still in the process of getting it covered so some areas have it while others don't. I don't want to risk it and then get stuck with slow data. Who knows how long it could take.

That's true.
Did you see Verizon? Heard that it is considerably better than AT&T in that area.

jstar002

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
So long as youre not downloading files or looking at video clips, it should be fine. Why not just try it for a month. If it doesn't work, upgrade.

Yea, not videos or downloading but I might be uploading photos to Instagram. I heard that takes up data as well...

jstar002

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
Do you only get charged data for emails you open or if they download (even if you don't open them).

jstar002

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
ok, well i signed up for the 1 gig plan mobile share plan with ATT even though i have 1 device cause its cheaper... so we'll see how it goes once i get my phone.

jwlbel

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
ok, well i signed up for the 1 gig plan mobile share plan with ATT even though i have 1 device cause its cheaper... so we'll see how it goes once i get my phone.

I was just about to say, then I read that you signed up for 1 gig. I would sign up for the 1 gig and then if you find that you are getting close to going over just call and upgrade to more data.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
1 gig of data enough?
As with any question on usage it really depends on your usage. It sounds like 1GB is enough but if you really want an answer you need to monitor your specific usage. X number of email and Y number of web sites really doesn't mean anything. Email size varies and web site content varies.

Do you only get charged data for emails you open or if they download (even if you don't open them).
You get charged for data used. If email is delivered to your device then data was used to get it to you. It didn't magically arrive on your phone through the ether. ;)

IIRC images and attachments are not pulled until you open the email though.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Am I the only one 100% covered by WiFi? Starbucks, Work, Home, Parent's House, Church, College, Relative's Houses, ..... Well *****... I don't know why I don't just get an iPod touch with Skype :(.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.