Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Necross

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
Hey folks

I'm planning to get a new 27" iMac to replace my 17" MBP (anyone wanna buy it? :) ) .. anyway, online it says it won't ship till January. I thought they'd have them at the mac store, but they don't yet. Just wondering if anyone knows if they'll be in stores in january, or if I want one then I should really order online and wait? I'd rather just get it in person, but I don't wait to wait and find out they're in super short supply and I gotta wait even longer.

Gelite55

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
No, the quickest way right now is pre ordering it from Apple.
BTW this isn't Ebay.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
At least on forum member reportedly went and picked up a base model 27" at Best Buy.

A quick search of the twenty nearest stores say Unavailable for the high end, and available for pickup in 3-5 days for the base. That's about a 150 mile radius of St. Louis.

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
i was able to pick up a base 27 at best buy as well. it was the only one in the area however so i got a bit lucky. best buy's do have them though.

Necross

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
Oh .. didn't think of best buy.. I just figured since it said January on the online store, it meant it wasn't released till then... I do want to get the i7 though, so I guess I'll just preorder it online then :)

clipsmeyer

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
I just got my new 27" with the 3.4 i7, 1tb fusion and 680 video card from the apple store. The apple store just got a few in today, and I was able to walk in and buy one.

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
I just got my new 27" with the 3.4 i7, 1tb fusion and 680 video card from the apple store. The apple store just got a few in today, and I was able to walk in and buy one.

Where was the store? None of the apple stores in the Bay Area offer the fusion drive.

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
Sounds like the same thing that happened with the iphone 5 would be happening now if there wasn't such a supply constraint on the new iMac. People who preordered the iPhone 5 sat around and waited while lots of folks walked into the Apple Store and bought one. Just another reason why Apple needs to revamp their ordering process.

evanavevan

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Where was the store? None of the apple stores in the Bay Area offer the fusion drive.

Not sure what the other poster is talking about, but I don't think Fusion Drives are available at retail. My local stores have told me they don't stock Fusion Drives for either the Mac Mini or iMac, also Apple's site says:

"Configure your iMac with these options, only at the Apple Online Store."

for the Fusion Drives, among others.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/imac (under Tech Specs > Configure to Order)

Otherwise I'd happy to pick one up even if maxed out instead of waiting until January.

clipsmeyer

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
The Florida Mall at Orlando got five with the fusion drives today, Millenia got two of them with the fusion drives. Millenia sold out earlier, but the one at the Florida Mall had at least one in stock which I am using right now

evanavevan

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
The Florida Mall at Orlando got five with the fusion drives today, Millenia got two of them with the fusion drives. Millenia sold out earlier, but the one at the Florida Mall had at least one in stock which I am using right now

Damn, wish I was in Florida. Did you call around or check online?

Pejsen

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
Denmark
I was in the same situation. Luckily the new Apple store in Causeway Bay, Hong Kong opened today and I was able to get a 27" with 3.2, 1TB and 675MX.

They told me that they would only stock the non-BTO models and that they expected to receive a batch again monday morning. Seeing you're located in the US iwould expect that they would do the same there.

clipsmeyer

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
Here is a copy of the box label

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 235

Necross

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
Well, I'll try my luck tomorrow at Best buy and the apple store, if they don't have em I'll just order one :)

Jason Edwards

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2007
I ordered the $1999 base model 27" yesterday from bestbuy.com. Its already shipped and I should have it by Tuesday.

Jason

HunterMaximus

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2008
Toronto, ON, Canada
I called a couple Apple stores in Toronto. Neither had any in stock, but one reported having received a very small quantity late this week which had already sold out. They didn't know when to expect more.

vhp3

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
I just picked up the 3.4 / 1tb fusion / 2gb graphics card from my local apple store about 30 minutes ago. I will be playing with this as soon as I get home. I just cancelled my apple.com order !!

BTW this was at the mall in northern va

EK23

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012

I can second this. I was in the apple store in the millenia mall yesterday and asked them if they had any 27” with the i7 and fusion and they told me that had just sold the last one they had. The had base models in stock but no fusion.

Either the guy was lying or the retail stores are getting some of the fusion drives.

rpramanik

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2008
San Francisco, USA
Stonestown San Francisco, CA

Had a 27 inch on display and reportedly in stock. I am expecting mine early this week, as I preordered at 12:02 am PST...

Not sure what detailed, but if anybody near there wants one they can call...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.