Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Existing connections will continue to function.

That's fine, but no one has answered what happens if you have to restore your device. At this point, we can only assume we'll be OK, but no one knows for sure until then.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I thought existing devices were grandfathered, not existing accounts? The way I read it, when you upgrade your device, you're screwed. :mad:

That's what the Google blog states.... so how will Google enforce this? Does ActiveSync require device ID for its setup? I agree with others here that having to use 2 different mail apps is ridiculous and unnecessary.

Hotmail/Outlook still supports ActiveSync for mobile devices but for how long? iCloud supports push but not read/delete updates when using other devices unless the mail app is opened. And on top of that, their web interface is atrocious to say the least.

I finally encouraged my wife to change over to all iCloud for everything except email, which we both use Gmail as default. As I stated earlier, Google is out to put Apple at a disadvantage so users migrate to Android.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
That's what the Google blog states.... so how will Google enforce this? Does ActiveSync require device ID for its setup? I agree with others here that having to use 2 different mail apps is ridiculous and unnecessary.

From the sound of the Google blog post, if you move to a new iOS device, you will lose Exchange GMail. I assume they are using the device ID to determine if you have changed devices.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
So I will lose native mail app integration… no big deal. The gmail app works wonderfully so if I need to switch over I will. I'm grandfathered in according to this thread but no biggie. Worst case, I'll just move everything over to my icloud account.

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
This is terrible news. Political maneuvering no doubt as EAS is a Microsoft technology, and as others have said, they will be able to put ads into the Gmail app (which I guess is fair enough since that's how they make their money).

My favourite feature was that it let me respond and create to calendar invitations through the calendarl app, just as I could with an actual exchange service.

I am seriously considering switching because of this (who knows IMAP will probably be next) - It's a shame Apple's own email service is so awful, what are the best alternatives? I'm thinking perhaps Outlook.com?

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I am seriously considering switching because of this (who knows IMAP will probably be next) - It's a shame Apple's own email service is so awful, what are the best alternatives? I'm thinking perhaps Outlook.com?
Outlook.com works well with EAS on iOS. Unfortunately it does not support IMAP yet, so you cannot currently use it with a mail client on Mac OS unless you are willing to live with the limitations of POP3 (and even on Windows only Outlook and the Windows 8 Metro mail app support EAS). They have announced that they will add IMAP at some point though.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
So I will lose native mail app integration… no big deal. The gmail app works wonderfully so if I need to switch over I will. I'm grandfathered in according to this thread but no biggie. Worst case, I'll just move everything over to my icloud account.

Gmail app does not:
- provide calendar event setup from text inside the email body
- provide opening the map app when an address is inside the email body

For some, this is a big deal. I am seriously considering moving to iCloud.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Most people are not using gmail through exchange because it's not the default setup. Most people won't even notice the difference. Gmail through imap and pop will still work.

And what about those who it does affect?

I use it on all devices that I change out often....no more google for me.

----------

From the sound of the Google blog post, if you move to a new iOS device, you will lose Exchange GMail. I assume they are using the device ID to determine if you have changed devices.

Yah some type of device id. If u go to m.google.com/sync it will show multiple devices and won't let you delete them.

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
I'm going to try this.

<a rel="nofollow" href="http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/12/5/3732364/best-way-gmail-google-calendar-iphone-how-to" target="_blank">http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/12/5...-iphone-how-to</a>

The gmail app isn't that bad. Worth a shot.

I have a question though. For my calendar and contacts accounts, do I toggle on push or set it to fetch?

The gmail app pushes the mail on its own.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I've decided that iCloud is the only real option left for push email. Outlook & Hotmail only seem to work 80% of the time for push. I just wish Apple would support push sync across their devices for mail updates instead of having to open the mail app. Time to start submitting feedback to Apple on this.

Brazuca

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2003
Nice move by google to actually get me to switch to iCloud from my much loved gmail. Wtf.

I just reversed the forwarding between my accounts, to me.com.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Is there an open standard for push email? Should there be one?

IMAP IDLE. Gmail supports it, but iOS's Mail app doesn't, that's why you have to setup Gmail as an Exchange account to have push. Supposedly, IDLE support is left out because Jobs said it's a "power hog."

No, there isn't an open standard.

IMAP Idle isn't technically "push" - hence why it's a "power hog".

It just lets the email client stay connected to the server in an "idle" state, until a message is ready to be downloaded.

There's not really anything like Exchange ActiveSync - and that's why it's always been so popular.

It's usually very easy to configure
It offers email, Contacts and Calendar with just one configuration
It's generally very reliable
It has push
Since Microsoft started licencing the patents that go with it, other companies can offer it in their products - on both sides of the equation: device manufacturers like Apple, email providers like Google.

----------

To clarify this, the "Device ID" used by Exchange ActiveSync is simply:

"Appl" followed by your iPhone serial number (NOT the IMEI).

That should mean that:

-If you restore your device, Google Sync should continue to work
-If you get a new device (an upgrade or a replacement) then Google Sync will NOT work

Jaypi

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
Los Angeles
For one reason I saw this decision coming and I switched to iCloud some months ago to sync all my stuff ..

It's incredible easy & I don't have to fear announcements like this.

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
My problem with iCloud email is it comes out of your free 5GB and the web interface is awful.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Ugh. This after Google eliminated the free Google Apps (for your own domain) version.

Active Sync isn't dropped in the paid Google Apps for Business version.

I've got a few customers that will have to be upgraded to the paid version when they get new devices.

Not much of a warning on this change, huh? I'll probably be recommending other, hosted exchange services to domain owners in the future.

monkey28rb

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
My problem with iCloud email is it comes out of your free 5GB and the web interface is awful.

I have been using my iCloud (Me) as my main email account now for at least 3 years. I never have issues with sending a receiving email. The only issue is the 5gb. Because my iPad and iPhone backup to it, I am afraid if it becomes full I will stop getting email. Gmail gives 10gb for email alone.... I have had 25gb for my iCould for the longest time, but I will be downgraded next year, thats when I am really going to worry which email to use.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
This really kind of sucks. Because the wifi (and hard wired) network at works blocks POP and IMAP, but allows Exchange. I switched to Gmail from MobileMe way back when because I could continue to get personal email through the wifi network at work.

Now my choices - should I ever replace or upgrade my phone - are to forgo getting any personal email at work (not acceptable) or stick to cellular full time at work (battery killer). And that option isn't available at all for my iPad (wifi only).

This really kind of blows. I'm ok for now, but if/when I replace a device, I'm screwed.

I'm thinking, since it probably mostly iOS devices (and the native email app) which use the Exchange Sync feature, that Google is doing this on purpose.

benguild

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2003
Basically this screws power users that care about push email. These are advocates of Gmail and Google for offering it.

That sucks that restoring to a new device breaks the grandfathering as well. What the hell Google
:mad:

whsbuss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
This really kind of sucks. Because the wifi (and hard wired) network at works blocks POP and IMAP, but allows Exchange. I switched to Gmail from MobileMe way back when because I could continue to get personal email through the wifi network at work.

Now my choices - should I ever replace or upgrade my phone - are to forgo getting any personal email at work (not acceptable) or stick to cellular full time at work (battery killer). And that option isn't available at all for my iPad (wifi only).

This really kind of blows. I'm ok for now, but if/when I replace a device, I'm screwed.

I'm thinking, since it probably mostly iOS devices (and the native email app) which use the Exchange Sync feature, that Google is doing this on purpose.

Well outlook.com still supports EAS.

Sugadaddy

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2010
Well outlook.com still supports EAS.

Yeah, Outlook.com is the best free email right now. The web interface is excellent, has unlimited storage, and you get Exchange ActiveSync on all the mobile platforms.

You even get EAS in Outlook 2013 (instead of using the Connector), not sure if that'll be in the next Outlook for Mac OS.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Yeah, Outlook.com is the best free email right now. The web interface is excellent, has unlimited storage, and you get Exchange ActiveSync on all the mobile platforms.

You even get EAS in Outlook 2013 (instead of using the Connector), not sure if that'll be in the next Outlook for Mac OS.

Yep, but problem right now is exchange push in iOS 6. And just recently, creating an hotmail/outlook account under exchange on iOS does not support EAS. But they will get that fixed.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
I've been using Gmail for Mail and Calendar on iOS devices for over 3 years.

I've never once felt the need for "Push". In fact, I don't need my device constantly receiving email, killing the battery.
Turning off Push is one of the first things recommended to help save battery.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Yep, but problem right now is exchange push in iOS 6. And just recently, creating an hotmail/outlook account under exchange on iOS does not support EAS. But they will get that fixed.

That's an oxymoron.

You tell it to use EAS and it doesn't use EAS?

Is that what you're saying?

Presumably you mean that the "Microsoft Hotmail" option doesn't configure the account using EAS.

IMO, it's never been a good idea to add a Mail/Contacts/Calendar account in iOS by choosing one of the branded email accounts (unless you are adding an iCloud or MobileMe account).

Attachments

• Photo 17-12-2012 15 22 16.png
    Photo 17-12-2012 15 22 16.png
    101.9 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.