Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
I'm getting a 27" on Monday, and want to give my current 27" to my wife. She currently uses an older Mac Mini running 10.5.8.
My current iMac has Mountain Lion.

What's the best way to transfer her current stuff to my current iMac once I get my new one set up?

jmcgeejr

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2010
Seattle, WA
I'm getting a 27" on Monday, and want to give my current 27" to my wife. She currently uses an older Mac Mini running 10.5.8.
My current iMac has Mountain Lion.

What's the best way to transfer her current stuff to my current iMac once I get my new one set up?

Just use the user migration assistant

WrrN

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
I don't mean to hijack, but this is related and might help the thread starter ... I was wondering the same thing, but am unclear from reading up about Migration Assistant, whether it copies everything over, including possible unwanted issues (my current Mac is 6 years old).

Might it not be better to perform a clean install of all apps as opposed to migrating them? Or am I misunderstanding how MA functions?

The big issue for me is getting all my app preferences to their customized state. :confused:

jmcgeejr

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2010
Seattle, WA
I don't mean to hijack, but this is related and might help the thread starter ... I was wondering the same thing, but am unclear from reading up about Migration Assistant, whether it copies everything over, including possible unwanted issues (my current Mac is 6 years old).

Might it not be better to perform a clean install of all apps as opposed to migrating them? Or am I misunderstanding how MA functions?

The big issue for me is getting all my app preferences to their customized state. :confused:

MA does copy over what you tell it to, you can tell it to move everything but apps but if you have OS issues those are not copied over just everything that makes the make "yours" apps, prefs etc. So depending on the issues you are having it may or may not migrate them.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
Yea like a woman is going to fall for that one. "Yes dear I'm such a nice kind husband you can have my old hand me downs whilst I bask in the sumptuous glory of my new iMac". I can only assume you haven't been married that long if you think that one's going to slip past her unnoticed. :rolleyes:

WrrN

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
Yea like a woman is going to fall for that one. "Yes dear I'm such a nice kind husband you can have my old hand me downs whilst I bask in the sumptuous glory of my new iMac". I can only assume you haven't been married that long if you think that one's going to slip past her unnoticed. :rolleyes:

Fortunately my 11 y/o is quite happy to get my aging Mac. A big step up from his clunky WinXP netbook. I appeased my wife with a retina iPad. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.