Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IAlberta

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
Mountain View County
Scored this mint condition working original Bondi for $50 at a garage sale..

Any ideas how I can get this thing online or would it be worth the hassle to do so?

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0116-2.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

Last edited:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
That is absolutely awesome.
How to get online? can't you just run a lan cable or do you only have access to wireless? My buddy uses an older USB wireless adapter with his.

IAlberta

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
Mountain View County
Hey Jessica, I have access to lan and wireless however imo the os is so dated that I would think that any online access would be so limited that it would be hardly worth the effort to try to get it up and running online.. Maybe I could play "Pong" or "Frogger" on it? Anybody know what this thing could be used for other than a fashionable boat anchor?

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Nice :)

I got a working iMac G3 also, but I paid $30 for it and it's a slot-loader. You can just connect it into the wall via Ethernet like me, but I think you can also install an Airport Wireless card into it also. Mine doesn't have Airport.

trigf

Suspended
Jun 16, 2009
Any ideas how I can get this thing online or would it be worth the hassle to do so?

Every version of Mac OS from System 6 onward can connect to a LAN connection through DHCP, and this thing is probably running Mac OS 8.1, so here are the instuctions you'll need to get it on your home network:

1. Click on the Apple Menu, select Control Panel followed by TCP/IP to open the TCP/IP properties.
2. Ensure that the Connect Via option is set to Ethernet.
3. Ensure that the Configure: option is set to Using DHCP.
4. Ensure that the Search domains box is empty.
5. Close and Save changes within the TCP/IP properties box.
6. Reboot to ensure the settings stick.

If you're wanting to go wireless, be prepared to spend some money. This thing doesn't have an airport slot, you'll need to upgrade to Mac OS 8.6 (at least), and find a third party USB adapter than used the same chipset as the original cards (Lucent WaveLAN).

IAlberta

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
Mountain View County
Thanks for the info db, I'll give it a whirl..

Along with many other more current Apple systems I have a G4 Cube with 10.4.11 and find that os x almost redundant, I can only imagine how schlow this piece would be online.. Maybe I could it as a recipe depository or a radio? Photo slideshow apparatus?

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
iCab and Classilla are the two most modern web browsers for Mac OS 9. Classilla is still actively developed for OS 9 (iCab's OS 9-compatible version is 3.0.5, which stopped development in 2008, although it's still pretty good.)

If you upgrade the RAM to 256 MB, you can install OS X 10.4 on it, and run the modern TenFourFox browser (made by the same people behind Classilla.) But on that system, OS 9 running Classilla is probably your best bet. (Especially since installing 10.4 on that model requires some assistance.

As others have said, you can have plenty of fun in OS 9, though, even when NOT on the internet!

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Thanks for the info db, I'll give it a whirl..

Along with many other more current Apple systems I have a G4 Cube with 10.4.11 and find that os x almost redundant, I can only imagine how schlow this piece would be online.. Maybe I could it as a recipe depository or a radio? Photo slideshow apparatus?

My G3 is usable on the internet. I've even used Macrumors on it. Get OS9 and iTunes 2, and you can do internet radio.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.