Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rocknpop

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
Hi, I just moved to my new apartment and I am having trouble getting two routers to work together. This is what I have:

Signal path: Modem (comcast) ---> D-Link DGS-1005G Gigabit Desktop Switch ---> Etherent Ports in the house

Problem: I can only connect one of these at a time:
a) Only one router to any given port (cannot connect a 2nd router or hardwire a second computer)
b) Only hardwired to my any macbook pro in the house using an ethernet cable (the router will not work if plugged in)

However, I cannot:
a) connect via router and then hardwired from a wall port (from the DLink or a wall) to a computer
b) Make the second router work

Any help would be tremendous. My routers are:
1) Lynksys E1000
2) Lynksys WRT54GL

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
It's modem to router then switch. Won't work the other way without two modems (and two ISP accounts)

That WRT54GL is a relic, slow as dirt 802.11g

If you're trying to extend a network consider power line modems.

rocknpop

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
It's modem to router then switch. Won't work the other way without two modems (and two ISP accounts)

Thank you so much.

Two questions:
- Do I just connect Modem (Motorola SB5100) to the Lynksys, because it's the slower one and therefore will act more like a harwire "bridge" to the switch, and then connect the Lynsksys E1000 to one of the wall ports?
(this assumes that I will also be able to connect any computer to the ports on the wall)

- Pardon my ignorance, what is a power line modem and what does it do?

rocknpop

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009

I was able to make it work going:
Modem - router - switch - router

Question: Does it matter which router goes first? I placed the E1000 (the faster one with N speed) in the wall port (as the last router). It receives the signal from the switch which is hardwired from the older router.

Should I switch them?

mabaty

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2011
Boise, ID
I was able to make it work going:
Modem - router - switch - router

Question: Does it matter which router goes first? I placed the E1000 (the faster one with N speed) in the wall port (as the last router). It receives the signal from the switch which is hardwired from the older router.

Should I switch them?

If the last one is the one your using for wireless access (I hope so) and not routing than you are fine, the first one is your primary gateway/router. You should switch the second to be an access point only (if i'm understanding what you are doing correctly)

rwwest7

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2011
You may be double-NATed, which isn't a problem for the most part but can cause weird issues.

Anything on one router won't be able to communicate with devices on the other router, I.E. things like iTunes home sharing won't work.

If either router will let you switch to bridge mode you should put that one at the end and connect the other one to your modem, that way the two above issues will be null and void.

Speed wise it doesn't matter which is where, I doubt your internet connection is more than 54 Mbps.

OCICILIONI

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2011
Orlando, FL
Network problem

I believe the problem you are having is related to your use of the D-Link DGS-1005g SWITCH. You ought to be using a ROUTER instead of a SWITCH as the primary distributor of the ethernet signal in your setup. Switches are designed to be used in conjunction with a network server that administrates the network. For example: In a business application the Lan goes into a server and then into a SWITCH that sends out the signals hard wired to each of the work stations that have a username in a work group administrated by your network server.

In your application, I would recommend NOT using the D-Link SWITCH at all.

Try setting up your network by attaching your Linksys WRT-54G Router to the LAN line coming from your cable modem. Use the ports on the back of the Linksys 54 G router to hard wire your home connections.

Connect your Linksys E1000 to one of the home's hard wired connections to send out the wireless signal in a second area if needed.

PATH: Modem--Linksys WRT-54G---Ethernet ports in house --- Linksys E1000(if needed to extend signal range of network beyond the wireless range of the WRT54G)

Make sure to go to the Linksys URL and set up your security and update the latest firmware for each of your Linksys devices.

Personally, I find it a log easier to extend my wireless network in my home using the Apple Extreme Base Stations. I have a LinksysWRT-54G router because the cable company provided it for free with their modem. But it is connected to the hard wired ethernet lines in my home and in several areas of the house I have the Airport Extreme base stations connected to wired lines to extend a large, secured network. The nice thing about the Aiport Extreme base stations is that they can act as print servers and anyone in the home can print from the network. They can also be managed by the Airport utility Application.

rwwest7

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2011
In a later post he said he was doing Modem-Router-Switch-Router. He does have a router as the first thing connected to the modem.

Alshalan

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2012
One modem , one router/ switch and two routers/extenders

Here is a tough one.

I need to know whats the best configuration and use of equipment to accomplish the below.

Regular Switch (linksys or tp link) connected to modem.
Airport express 1 connected to switch
Airport express 2 connected to switch

If i have itunes library open on a pc in airport express 1 network, can i access songs from my ipad connected to airport express 2 ??

Or Do i need to change the switch to a router ?or do i have to connect airport express 2 to airport express 1 ?

Thanks in advance guys.
A

matspekkie

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2010
Here is a tough one.

I need to know whats the best configuration and use of equipment to accomplish the below.

Regular Switch (linksys or tp link) connected to modem.
Airport express 1 connected to switch
Airport express 2 connected to switch

If i have itunes library open on a pc in airport express 1 network, can i access songs from my ipad connected to airport express 2 ??

Or Do i need to change the switch to a router ?or do i have to connect airport express 2 to airport express 1 ?

Thanks in advance guys.
A

I your case you can only use the switch if your modem is also doing routing.
And still than it only makes sense if you need to connect a device wired. Asuming you are taking about the "old airports" that only have one network connection.

If not do not use the switch connect one airport express to the modem and set up wifi extension so the second one extends the range. That way you first express makes you private network and will be accessible on both.

Alshalan

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2012
I your case you can only use the switch if your modem is also doing routing.
And still than it only makes sense if you need to connect a device wired. Asuming you are taking about the "old airports" that only have one network connection.

If not do not use the switch connect one airport express to the modem and set up wifi extension so the second one extends the range. That way you first express makes you private network and will be accessible on both.

Thanks for the reply.
I just found out that my isp modem is also a router.
Now to access itunes library across both floors, would it work to connect both 2 new airport express to the modem/router with diff ssid or do i have to extend one from the other as you explained ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.