Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MyBigMac

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2012
I use Aurorafox, as it's optimized for Leopard, and is generally faster than T4F.

Hmmm....If my TenFourFox slows down, I may try that one, but T4F is blazing fast compared to Safari. It took some getting used to since I can't use Flash, but Mactubes can use Quicktime, and it's not sluggish like the old Flash player. Everything looks and sounds great even on full screen.

BTW....I'm on a G4 Mirror Door Drive, OSX 10.5.8...I maxed it out to 2 G's, and it made a world of difference.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I've used FireFox for the most part for v1.0 but now (today) have been forced to switch to Safari on my G5. Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with Safari, I've used it at times in the past. I just like the flexibility of FireFox where you can use add-ons to make it better.

The reason for the switch is Flash is no longer working for FireFox on the PPC because you can't upgrade the software, weirdly it all seems to be working on Safari, is that because of HTML5?

Can't wait for my shinny new 27" iMac to come, hopefully sometime next week :D

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
I've used FireFox for the most part for v1.0 but now (today) have been forced to switch to Safari on my G5. Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with Safari, I've used it at times in the past. I just like the flexibility of FireFox where you can use add-ons to make it better.

The reason for the switch is Flash is no longer working for FireFox on the PPC because you can't upgrade the software, weirdly it all seems to be working on Safari, is that because of HTML5?

Can't wait for my shinny new 27" iMac to come, hopefully sometime next week :D

I am sure you have heard about it, so why don't you try Tenfourfox. It retains all of the Add-on functionality and plugins (like Flash) can be enabled and work just fine.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I am sure you have heard about it, so why don't you try Tenfourfox. It retains all of the Add-on functionality and plugins (like Flash) can be enabled and work just fine.

No I haven't tried that one and right now I'm just waiting for my new iMac.

PPC has been good and I will be keeping my G5 to run some software no longer supported on Intel/OS X but for most of my stuff I'll be using the new iMac. Might check out Tenfourfox when I get it up and running.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
No I haven't tried that one and right now I'm just waiting for my new iMac.

PPC has been good and I will be keeping my G5 to run some software no longer supported on Intel/OS X but for most of my stuff I'll be using the new iMac. Might check out Tenfourfox when I get it up and running.

If you are on Leopard, I would go with Leopard Webkit.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
firefox powerpc and tenfourfox are nearly the same though firefox powerpc seems to be lighter

How so? The last version of Firefox capable of running on PowerPC Mac was 3.x something. TenFourFox is currently at version 17. Granted they are both browsers that run on PowerPC Macs, but T4Fx is far more modern. But even if they are similar, that's intended. T4Fx is meant to allow us PowerPC users to continue to use modern versions of Firefox past version 3.x and has functionality that 3.x doesn't because the T4Fx project has kept up with the Firefox project.

Maybe "firefox powerpc" seems lighter because it's well over a year and a half old?

does aurorafox run on powerpc ?

Yes, it does. That's why it keeps being mentioned. But you need a minimum of OSX 10.5 Leopard to run it.

Both T4Fx and Aurorafox are forks of Mozilla Firefox.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.