Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shredder96

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2012
I just found this phone, it's either Verizon or Sprint.. ( no sim tray)

What could be savable from this? Any thoughts?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355602501.079766.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355602587.756098.jpg

Shredder96

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2012
Wow, seriously? That would be awesome. I mean the bezel is bent and everything! Still worth something?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
You sell for parts, which parts are unknown, but you'll get a little something for it.

Aug 5, 2012
You should hand this in to the police... Could be involved in a crime. Help identify a killer perhaps?

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Any thoughts on letting police know ? It looks so heavy damaged it looks like hit by a car or tank. So it might be evidence for some case ? Just a thought.

Ok, SiPi just beat me on that ...

And on a side note: OP, does your username has anything to do with the destiny of this iPhone ?

Last edited:

Shredder96

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2012
OP please confirm you will contact the police now?

I found this on Mt Hood on the slopes of Timberline. No one murders someone in the terrain park of a ski resort.. If I had the slightest thought that Someone would benefit from me reporting this, I would; but it won't.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
OP please confirm you will contact the police now?

Report to police?? bahahahah! The police would laugh at u and think ur a moron. Why in the hell would u report a found broken phone to the police? It makes ZERO sense. What if I found a broken kids toy in the street? Should I report that as well?

You won't be apple to get the $200 replacement from apple because the device isn't registered to u. I would put it on eBay though because u will get something.

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
Report to police?? bahahahah! The police would laugh at u and think ur a moron. Why in the hell would u report a found broken phone to the police? It makes ZERO sense. What if I found a broken kids toy in the street? Should I report that as well?

You won't be apple to get the $200 replacement from apple because the device isn't registered to u. I would put it on eBay though because u will get something.

It doesn't have to be registered to you, but it does have to be in a non devasted state :p this is beyond normal wear and tear or some cracks.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
At least you're more honest about your intentions. Other people hide behind "found this iPhone in my backyard" and "my friend gave me this iPhone he found". Can't hate on someone trying to make a quick buck even if morally wrong.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
Hell, I'd try taking it to Apple. The worst they can say is no the best they can say is $200 and its a 4S. If its a 4 I wouldn't waste my money. More hassle than its worth for what you'll get out it.

Shredder96

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2012
Yeah I think I will post it on eBay, thanks for the input guys! If someone wants a link to the listing, pm me.

EDIT: it's a 4s, because the antennas are all on the sides, not on top.

Last edited:

iphone46

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2011
Yeah I think I will post it on eBay, thanks for the input guys! If someone wants a link to the listing, pm me.

EDIT: it's a 4s, because the antennas are all on the sides, not on top.

If it has NO sim card tray slot, then its a iPhone 4 CDMA(the ATT 4 has the wifi antenna band next to the headphone jack)

iPh0neTy

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2012
I just found this phone, it's either Verizon or Sprint.. ( no sim tray)

What could be savable from this? Any thoughts?

View attachment 383776

View attachment 383777

Logic board looks like it might be ok. But it's CDMA so even if it works it may have a bad ESN. You have to wonder why someone would destroy a phone like that, it's obviously not destroyed by accident.

Either way, it's worth something, not a lot but something. Be careful if you do sell it on eBay. Mention you know nothing about it, if it works or it's ESN status or it might get sent right back to you. I'd imagine you could get between $40 min- $80 tops...

If you can find out if the logic board works, if it does and it has a good esn you could get $100-$150 out of the logic board alone $50-$100 if it works but has a bad esn. You could take it to a repair shop and have them put a screen on it and connect a sleep wake button and battery. It doesn't have to be installed they could just connect the tabs and see if it turns on. Also google "decode apple serial" to find a website that will check the serial to find out if it's an 8,16,32GB Verizon or 8GB Sprint.

Shredder96

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2012
Logic board looks like it might be ok. But it's CDMA so even if it works it may have a bad ESN. You have to wonder why someone would destroy a phone like that, it's obviously not destroyed by accident.

Either way, it's worth something, not a lot but something. Be careful if you do sell it on eBay. Mention you know nothing about it, if it works or it's ESN status or it might get sent right back to you. I'd imagine you could get between $40 min- $80 tops...

If you can find out if the logic board works, if it does and it has a good esn you could get $100-$150 out of the logic board alone $50-$100 if it works but has a bad esn. You could take it to a repair shop and have them put a screen on it and connect a sleep wake button and battery. It doesn't have to be installed they could just connect the tabs and see if it turns on. Also google "decode apple serial" to find a website that will check the serial to find out if it's an 8,16,32GB Verizon or 8GB Sprint.

Dude you're a boss thanks so much

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.