Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RazonTheGeek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
I Installed a gtx 570 from asus and i installed it correctly into the 2nd pci slot.
when i connect all the power cables.. (8 pin and 6 pin) and then when i try to turn on the mac it like turns off like right away, it makes like a little clicking noise behind the computer , but it makes no chime , no light in the front .!
i need some serious help! i would appreciate it . if you guys need more info on this just reply asap !: ):mad:

Jduncan0392

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2011
kind of hard to say what it could be without being there. How many pcie slots does your pro have? try switching to the first or the 3rd if it has one and see how that does. If that doesn't work try sticking it in another computer if you have a spare one lying around and see if it boots up. If the first possible scenario worked, you have a bad slot, if the second scenario didn't boot the spare pc then you have a bad gpu. keep me posted.

Jduncan0392

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2011
it's an adapter yes, but if your pro has a 6 and 8 pin connectors you don't need to use it. try putting it in a different desktop and tell me what happens.

RazonTheGeek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
im going to upload a video on what im exactly doing for more detail please stay tuned ! :)

Jduncan0392

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2011
Are you sure the power supply unit can hold up to that card? I gotta admit I'm kinda stumped, I've never had any problems installing gpus and ive been building pcs for quite awhile now. Try getting another cable and use the one that came with the gpu and see what happens. also you could try a different video output, instead of hdmi maybe try vga or dvi if the card has those.

RazonTheGeek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
Are you familiar with how much watts a mac pro 1,1 has ?
cause ive installed quite a bit of cards in here with no problem . its just this card that is causing problems !
and did you watch the video and see what happens ?
and this card is only a 550W card? i shouldnt be having trouble ? :eek:

Jduncan0392

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2011
Yeah I watched it. I have had problems with that if the psu couldn't handle the card, and ive had it do similar things that yours did. Looked the psu up and it seems okay. you could always try getting another molex adapter and seeing if it works. also, try using something other than hdmi. Try all of the cord connections. Does the 570 have a m-hdmi? My old 560 ti had one and the mini hdmi isn't worth crap.

RazonTheGeek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
is it mandatory to connect a video connector right now ?
i mean im just testing it , to see if anything happens and with/or without a video connection to the card it turns right off!?
could it be that i have to use that 8pin 2x 6 pin splitter thing that came with the gpu?

----------

and yes this card has 2 dvi and a mini hdmi with a mini display port adapter

RazonTheGeek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
alright, could that really be the problem ?

----------

ugh , but the thing is i dont really wanna risk buying 2 other 6 pin connecters !
i currently only have 1 8 pin to mini 6 pin for the mac and a 6 pin to mini 6 pin connectors ! and i really thought thats all you kinda needed for this gpu to work !:O

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Typically the computer will do that if there is a dead short or a power draw that it can not handle.

Check that the 8 pin plug you bought is wired correctly.

the two "extra" pins should be connected to the ground side.

If he wired those in a sensible fashion, there should be 3 yellow wires (+) and 5 black wires (-).

The 6 to 8 adapter you have can be tried if you have 2 regular 6 pin cables. One side of it will let system work with just one 6 pin connected, the other side will not.

WHat card were you using before?

Also be certain that the card isn't somehow shorting to the case. Either put a piece of plastic between card and surface, or move to another slot.

RazonTheGeek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
Hey "MacVidCards"
Yea this mac pro 1,1 has 900w psu! ? :O
Yes the 8 pin cable is correctly installed to the mobo and the gpu`!
"the two "extra" pins should be connected to the ground side." What do you mean? :eek:
And yes there is 3 yellow and 5 black .
and i was using a gts 450 with 1 6 pin power connector.
and how would i know if its shorting ? what would i have to do? :eek:

----------

if you guys want me to post additional pics of something , just tell me please ? :) i can fabricate a 6 pin cable or something.

Jduncan0392

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2011
If the gpu works in another pc and not in the mac pro, you can assume there's either something wrong with the psu or with the connectors. try different connectors if you can, if that doesn't work try switching the psu out with another and see what happens.

RazonTheGeek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
If the gpu works in another pc and not in the mac pro, you can assume there's either something wrong with the psu or with the connectors. try different connectors if you can, if that doesn't work try switching the psu out with another and see what happens.
how would i switch out the mac pro psu ? arnt they kinda hard to remove?

----------

and remember guys i dont wanna flash or anything , i want to use this card just for windows , ive been using a gts 450 with no problem , i just wanted a little upgrade cause this card kinda feels to old , so thats why i bought the gtx 570 thinking it was going to work with no problem!
and i think it might be shorting .. how would i fix that?

Jduncan0392

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2011
first try using different connectors, if that doesn't work try making sure it's not touching a piece of metal or something. If that doesn't help, change the psu. I'm sure it'lll be tough to change out, all pre-built companies make it hard to remove parts, unless it's a gaming computer. I've never owned a mac pro so i can't tell you, but knowing apple it's probably kind of difficult. May I ask why you're using a mac pro for gaming when you could build a custom windows based pc and have less problems with it?

RazonTheGeek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
well i use a mac pro because that's all i got so far ! :/
if i ever sold this mac pro , i would probably just spend it on a gaming computer.
if i cant resolve this problem .
i know there is a soultion but i just cant find out . i need others to look at this forum and tell me whats wrong ! :eek:

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012
I would try an external PSU before trying to switch out the one in the Mac Pro itself. slughead has posted guides on how to do this.

RazonTheGeek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
I would try an external PSU before trying to switch out the one in the Mac Pro itself. slughead has posted guides on how to do this.
hmm , so your saying just a get any psu and connect it to the video card while its inside the mac pro?

but what if its not that . check the video i posted. it could be shorting .. ?

----------

a power supply for this mac pro is like 300 ?
its more then what i paid for the gpu ! i am a budget student .. :eek: i think my best way to go is sell this mac pro for like 600 and buy my self or build my self a gaming computer .

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012
Right, you probably don't need to replace the Mac Pro's PSU. An external ~450W power supply will be much, much less than $300.

RazonTheGeek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
Right, you probably don't need to replace the Mac Pro's PSU. An external ~450W power supply will be much, much less than $300.
but your saying to check if it can be that my psu for the mac pro is not getting enough to run this gpu?

Jduncan0392

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2011
Here's my recommendation. Stick the gts 450 back in the mac pro, sell it and build yourself a desktop. since you already have a good gpu you can spend the money you get from the mac pro on everything else. I would recommend the following:

Case: Coolermaster HAF 922
Motherboard: Gigabyte z68a-d3h-b3
Ram: 8Gb ddr3 1333mhz
Cpu: Intel i5 2500k (overclock it to 4ghz to alleviate any possible bottlenecks and it'll improve fps in games like skyrim)
Psu: 650Watt Modular psu so you can do cable management
Fans: 1 280mm top mounted fan (fits the haf 922), 1 120mm sidemounted fan.
HDD: id recommend getting a 64gb SSD for the operating system, and a 1tb for games and music.

You can pull out a dvd drive from any computer sitting around.

Also, yes it could be the psu. Just because it's rated for 900 watts or whatever it is doesn't mean it's necessarily "pushing out" that many. the psu could be shot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.