Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
Another option would be to use a thunderbolt external ssd drive and clone osx to it (carbon copy,super duper) and use it as boot drive and 1 or 3 TB 7200 rpm internal drive as storage.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
You might want to see what OWC says when they can tear the iMacs down as it is in their financial interest to get one in there.

I am looking forward to see what OWC comes up with.

Another option would be to use a thunderbolt external ssd drive and clone osx to it (carbon copy,super duper) and use it as boot drive and 1 or 3 TB 7200 rpm internal drive as storage.

I have always had an uneasy feeling about having the boot drive be external. There just seems to be just too much risk of inadvertent disconnection. I would hate to corrupt something in the OS.

However... I might consider an external SSD for my Aperture 3 (A3) library. All my data is continually backed up to dual locations. I also run a CCC clone of my A3 library to an external HDD as an emergency backup database. That can be automated to run nightly.

If I was to put my A3 library on an external SSD (or even my Pegasus R4)... then I would probably get the smallest 1TB Fusion option... and just never let it get any larger than 100GB or so... keeping everything OS related on the internal SSD. Everything else could be off on the Pegasus. That would save me $1000 or so.

I have never really tested my A3 library extensively on the Pegasus R4 because my current iMac is not TB capable. I have done some tests with the R4 and my MBA... and it was surprisingly good.

Something to consider.

/Jim

...When I am working... I want my entire library resident on the SSD. I often scroll through huge portions of my photos. At most maybe about 1/4 of my A3 library could possibly be resident on the SSD portion of fusion...

Unless you are actually viewing each photo, what you are looking at is the thumbnails, not the actual photos, so my guess (and it is only a guess) is that the thumbnails and other stuff you regularly access would fit on the SSD. It's certainly something that's worth checking before you spend $1300.

bill phillips

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2012
I am. Not overly proud to say it, but I am getting the 27" iMac with full SSD capability.

Anybody else?

(Don't answer all at once)

hey njronbo i just saw your post, im wondering whether youve had time to change your mind about the full ssd or are you happy with the decision now that that the repairability articles have come out on self installation..Im ordering the fusion but am considering updating my order to the 768 as its still processing and hasn't shipped. Just looking for another mac lovers opinion

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Unless you are actually viewing each photo, what you are looking at is the thumbnails, not the actual photos, so my guess (and it is only a guess) is that the thumbnails and other stuff you regularly access would fit on the SSD. It's certainly something that's worth checking before you spend $1300.

Aperture creates "previews" and that is what I actually look at the most. I would typically have them set to "fit within 1920X1920" or "fit within 2560X2560" (with a dual 27" monitor config). It would very much overflow the tiny 128GB SSD. Even worse... you have no control over what data is stored in the SSD.

/Jim

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
hey njronbo i just saw your post, im wondering whether youve had time to change your mind about the full ssd or are you happy with the decision now that that the repairability articles have come out on self installation.

Haven't read the articles or aware of the repairability issues.

I don't know if it's an easy or difficult chore to make changes to the iMac.

Still, I don't have any desire to open my iMac and attempt to make any.

I am definitely still going with the 768GB flash drive. I was sold on SSD when I took possession of my Retina Macbook Pro. I don't want anything less.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.