Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2006
Never mind preexisting accounts will always have sync. An new accounts starting in January will have no sync.

I'm good then.

That's all good and true unless you have to restore iOS through iTunes. Or if you get your phone replaced through Apple Care.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
There's another discussion in the iOS6 forum https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1508098/

For those not concerned about push email from Gmail in the native mail app, that's fine. But do not assume everyone is OK with fetch. I require push and if Google denies me that option I have a few options:

- drop Gmail and use Hotmail/Outlook or iCloud
- install Gmail app for push notifications and use native mail app to fetch

Some may tout the Gmail app as a better option..... maybe but can you create an event or open the Maps app from text inside the body of an email? Nope!

Google is thumbing the eye of Apple every chance it gets.

makotoisle

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2012
There's another discussion in the iOS6 forum https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1508098/

For those not concerned about push email from Gmail in the native mail app, that's fine. But do not assume everyone is OK with fetch. I require push and if Google denies me that option I have a few options:

- drop Gmail and use Hotmail/Outlook or iCloud
- install Gmail app for push notifications and use native mail app to fetch

Some may tout the Gmail app as a better option..... maybe but can you create an event or open the Maps app from text inside the body of an email? Nope!

Google is thumbing the eye of Apple every chance it gets.

Kind of like how Apple is thumbing Google every chance it gets?

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
With the war between Apple and Samsung, Apple and Google, this was the obvious next step. I switched everything over to icloud. My contacts, calendar, reminders, etc.

HiddenPuppy

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2011
With the war between Apple and Samsung, Apple and Google, this was the obvious next step. I switched everything over to icloud. My contacts, calendar, reminders, etc.

How do you "switch" an existing calendar over to icloud? I have to keep all my appointments from the past and already have almost a year ahead in the calendar. How do you move all of those? I know I can export them from either outlook or google, but I cannot find a way in icloud to import them.

Thanks

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
How do you "switch" an existing calendar over to icloud? I have to keep all my appointments from the past and already have almost a year ahead in the calendar. How do you move all of those? I know I can export them from either outlook or google, but I cannot find a way in icloud to import them.

Thanks

Search MacRumors or Google.... I still used Gmail for email but everything else is in iCloud. There's an easy way to drag the past/present/future events into iCloud.com as I remember it.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011

Thanks

For you it would be more difficult as you have a lot of data to transfer. Since I have calendar on my imac, I used the following instructions.

http://support.google.com/calendar/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=99358

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
So this means that If I get the iPhone 5 or any new iPhone I will not be able to activate my current gmail account EAS. This really is sucks.

My wife and I currently rely on gmail EAS. If I need to add her a number or make changes to a family member's contact list, I go directly to the gmail contacts (online), make the changes and wherever she is, the changes are automatically pushed to her iPhone.

This is how my settings currently look
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355609670.572904.jpg

Jades

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2012
This really sucks
I hope apple will support IMAP push
Or at minimum, google should give us the opportunity to pay for EAS with the gmail account. I use one of the accounts for business and heavily rely on push email.

I know google apps is an alternative, but I am using @gmail.com for both sending and receiving for a specific reason. This rules out the option to forward my mail to a google apps account

Lastly, I tested outlook.com the last two days and let's just say there is nothing like google. Push doesn't really work with outlook.com EAS. I've sent multiple tests and it only seems to be updating every 15 minutes or so. This was tried on numerous devices.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
So this means that If I get the iPhone 5 or any new iPhone I will not be able to activate my current gmail account EAS. This really is sucks.

My wife and I currently rely on gmail EAS. If I need to add her a number or make changes to a family member's contact list, I go directly to the gmail contacts (online), make the changes and wherever she is, the changes are automatically pushed to her iPhone.

This is how my settings currently look
View attachment 383784

As long as you activate EAS on the device before 1/30/13 you're OK.

----------

This really sucks
I hope apple will support IMAP push
Or at minimum, google should give us the opportunity to pay for EAS with the gmail account. I use one of the accounts for business and heavily rely on push email.

I know google apps is an alternative, but I am using @gmail.com for both sending and receiving for a specific reason. This rules out the option to forward my mail to a google apps account

Lastly, I tested outlook.com the last two days and let's just say there is nothing like google. Push doesn't really work with outlook.com EAS. I've sent multiple tests and it only seems to be updating every 15 minutes or so. This was tried on numerous devices.

Business, Education accounts will still support EAS. And Hotmail/Outlook is not as reliable as gmail or iCloud.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
How do you "switch" an existing calendar over to icloud?

Simple. Delete the Gmail account from the phone. It will ask if you want to erase or keep the calendars and contacts on the phone's memory. Say 'keep.'

Then log in to an iCloud account and it will sync the data from the phone to iCloud.

(As always, I suggest backing up your phone in iTunes before trying this just in case something goes wrong. If need be, you can restore the phone from the backup and get it all back the way it was.)

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Well then, maybe I will close gmail and transfer everything over to iCloud.

Kinda sad.

I did that a while back, dropped GMail for iCloud and Outlook.com and haven't looked back. The transition was really easy.

The only thing right now is that outlook.com, while it's great and has full push, it lacks IMAP support. So when you get an email on outlook.com on your iPhone for example, read it then delete it, it still shows up as new unread email on your other device(s), i.e. iPad, Mac mail etc...

Supposedly MSFT promised back in August that IMAP support is coming, but nothing yet unfortunately.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I did that a while back, dropped GMail for iCloud and Outlook.com and haven't looked back. The transition was really easy.

The only thing right now is that outlook.com, while it's great and has full push, it lacks IMAP support. So when you get an email on outlook.com on your iPhone for example, read it then delete it, it still shows up as new unread email on your other device(s), i.e. iPad, Mac mail etc...

Supposedly MSFT promised back in August that IMAP support is coming, but nothing yet unfortunately.

I wish Apple would support mail sync in iCloud. That is the only thing (besides folder push beyond the inbox) that keeps it from working flawlessly across all devices. Having to open the mail app to update is a pain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.