Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Dimak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Hey guys, so I yesterday I decided to try and upgrade from 4.1 to 5.1.1, but somehow I failed miserably. Now I'm trying to do a clean restore from iTunes, but I it keeps getting stuck at "Preparing iPhone for restore..." and after a couple of minutes it gives me error 1601.

The "hosts" file is clear, and I have already tried reinstalling iTunes and even attempting to restore from a different computer, but nothing helps.

I should also mention that my lock button is completely broken, so I can't really enter DFU mode without a custom IPSW file, but that's beside the point because I'm not even trying to jailbreak it anymore, just restore it so I can actually use it.

Is there anything else I can do, or am I completely screwed?

The Dimak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
I'd try it on another computer with the latest itunes version installed.
Do a dfu restore.

Read the original post. I've already tried doing it on another computer, and I can't really enter DFU mode normally because my lock button is broken.

Is there any way to enter DFU mode without using a custom IPSW file?

The Dimak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
I think you can use the latest redsnow to enter dfu if you have a broken physical button.
Then plug to iTunes and see how it goes.

From what I see, the only way to put my phone into DFU mode using RedSn0w is to restore with a modified IPSW file.
However, every time I try to restore my phone - be it the legit way or using Cydia's server, I get an error 1600/1601.

Do you know any other way of putting my phone into DFU mode?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.