Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Yeah, I love the * bits. It's not really that price if you have to buy a two year contract. In fact, you'll pay through the nose for that phone internally. I decided a long time ago, I'd rather have a new computer every two years than a phone (i.e. I can wait until I get home or to a WiFi spot with an iPod Touch to check my freaking e-mail; it's not worth $1000+ a year to me to do that and yes, that's about what you end up paying for most of the plans). People think in months rather than years and don't realize what other things they could buy instead. But then this is the age of credit cards where MOST people don't think about it and that's what so many are drowning in debt.

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
The drop in orders to the supply chain is widely reported.
If what you read on the websites are true :D then why is the 16gb the only one listed at a discount. No stock on the 32 and 64. Again well played:cool:
If all the haters/experts are right :confused: then it is logical that the higher priced inventory, which one would think a slower mover, would also be discounted.

----------

Lol, wtf are you driving?

----------

A racist German...now I've seen everything.
Good day to you, blitzkrieg.
Uh, you need a dictionary, arrogant may be.

Konrad

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2009
Bi-continental
I bought the damn thing today. At the AT&T store in Pasadena. Actually I had someone with me to take care of the transaction, as I get bored spending over one hour talking about a phone with some intellect - limited salesperson taking the opportunity to push some junk usb self powered speaker. To listen to music! LOL. And just how many times does one have to remind those BIG companies to have freaking stools or chairs for the customers! Or is it this hang over the mexican bar for hours climate they are looking after? I asked to transfer all my data with apps while we were hanging around and playing with the equally useless U-verse BS tv offerings hanging on the walls, but it was too much to ask. Much too much as unlocking the old iPhone4 right there on the spot. No, you have to wait for some e-mail with a secret code! For about a week. WTF!

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
It does compute - sales are way below expectations, the channel is full of product (not necessarily in every store at every moment, but there's more in the production pipeline than can be sold without fire-sale discounts), Apple has cut production orders by 25%, the Maps fiasco, a generally "meh?" upgrade, killer products from the competition....

Apple's stock is going to get hammered on Monday when all of this "Friday bad news" sinks in. Say "hello again" to the $400 range...

The only good news for Apple recently is that the Google Maps app was released.

Update 2: Walmart has contacted MacRumors to note that it erred in stating that the iPad promotion was for the current generation. It is in fact the third-generation iPad that is on closeout sale for $399.

Apple can't clear out the pipeline without fire sale prices? You are hilarious. :)
You do realize that nobody will take you seriously from here on out, right?

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
Went to Walmart today and got one.

Literally took over 30 minutes, whereas Apple would have taken care of it in 5.

On the other hand, Walmart does have 14 day return policy without restocking fee, and the phone is exactly the same.

I would go with Walmart all day.

drblank

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2006
IPhone 5 at apple.com is $199 and walfart has it for $127,
as crazy eddie would say....THATS INSANE!

Something tells me that this might be partly due to Hurricane Sandy and the effects it has on big retail store chains. I wonder how many WalMarts are shut down or not doing much business because of Hurricane Sandy.

Plus, most people typically go to Apple Stores or on-line to buy their products and this is how they differentiate themselves.

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
Something tells me that this might be partly due to Hurricane Sandy and the effects it has on big retail store chains. I wonder how many WalMarts are shut down or not doing much business because of Hurricane Sandy.

Plus, most people typically go to Apple Stores or on-line to buy their products and this is how they differentiate themselves.

Or simply by the fact that Walmart is always understaffed, slow, and overall chaotic.

I called 3 different stores to see if they have the phone, because the website itself is not able to provide such information, and all 3 of them were either too busy or...too busy to pick up the phone.

So I went in the store and again, everything was chaotic and I had to literally interrupt someone to get an answer.

Finally I got to a store that does have the phone in stock, the only employee behind the counter was literally bombarded by 3 other customers slowly asking questions, and I basically wandered around as my wife waited for the customer rep to become available.

Once the process gets started, as I said, it took another 30 minutes before the whole thing was done.

So during the entire process, I walked into 3 different Walmarts, waited forever, and I would have easily bought something during all those visits. So ya, I think Walmart's sale worked. It got bunch of people into the store and make them spend a lot of time in there as well.

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
Update 2: Walmart has contacted MacRumors to note that it erred in stating that the iPad promotion was for the current generation. It is in fact the third-generation iPad that is on closeout sale for $399.

Apple can't clear out the pipeline without fire sale prices? You are hilarious. :)
You do realize that nobody will take you seriously from here on out, right?

"From here on out"? Few have taken AidenShaw seriously for a long time, though at times he can be amusing (whether he realizes it or not).

Last edited:

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
Yeah, I love the * bits. It's not really that price if you have to buy a two year contract. In fact, you'll pay through the nose for that phone internally. I decided a long time ago, I'd rather have a new computer every two years than a phone (i.e. I can wait until I get home or to a WiFi spot with an iPod Touch to check my freaking e-mail; it's not worth $1000+ a year to me to do that and yes, that's about what you end up paying for most of the plans). People think in months rather than years and don't realize what other things they could buy instead. But then this is the age of credit cards where MOST people don't think about it and that's what so many are drowning in debt.

Accurate, to a point. About $900/year. However, unless you're carrying a 10 cent/minute prepaid phone, or constantly mooching off people, you're probably spending a minimum of $400/year for a dumb cell phone, leaving a net cost of $500/year, with about $125/year recoverable on resale. Bottom line is that the computer in your pocket, if you need it, costs around $375/year, or $1/day. Those who value their time think $1/day is worth it.

fr33 loader

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
I bought the damn thing today. At the AT&T store in Pasadena. Actually I had someone with me to take care of the transaction, as I get bored spending over one hour talking about a phone with some intellect - limited salesperson taking the opportunity to push some junk usb self powered speaker. To listen to music! LOL. And just how many times does one have to remind those BIG companies to have freaking stools or chairs for the customers! Or is it this hang over the mexican bar for hours climate they are looking after? I asked to transfer all my data with apps while we were hanging around and playing with the equally useless U-verse BS tv offerings hanging on the walls, but it was too much to ask. Much too much as unlocking the old iPhone4 right there on the spot. No, you have to wait for some e-mail with a secret code! For about a week. WTF!

You're lucky. With your attitude, if I was him, I'd let you wait for a year...

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
Don't patronize Wal-Mart!

Their business model is atrocious, they are stealing from tax payers by getting deals allowing them to collect sales tax without actually paying it to the state.

They demand and get infrastructure upgrades they don't pay for.

Their treatment of workers is horrible, they provide little in terms of benefits, and generates obscene profits to the heirs.

I will NEVER buy anything there, least of all an Apple product.

mushroomtip

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Don't patronize Wal-Mart!

Their business model is atrocious, they are stealing from tax payers by getting deals allowing them to collect sales tax without actually paying it to the state.

They demand and get infrastructure upgrades they don't pay for.

Their treatment of workers is horrible, they provide little in terms of benefits, and generates obscene profits to the heirs.

I will NEVER buy anything there, least of all an Apple product.

if you are not a fan or care to own a Apple product then why bother being a member to a Apple forum ?

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
It does compute - sales are way below expectations, the channel is full of product (not necessarily in every store at every moment, but there's more in the production pipeline than can be sold without fire-sale discounts)

So obviously it's an even far worse situation for Samsung right now considering their current fire-sale discounts at Best Buy then eh? The $49 Galaxy S III and $299 Galaxy Tab 2 in today's ad are discounted far more heavily than anything from Apple is there. So Samsung's sales must be even further below expectations and the channel must be overflowing with their unsold products then using your logic. Glad we cleared that up.

cparktd

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2009
Middle TN
For those wasting time calling or driving and having trouble finding stock...

Walmart has an app for that.
Seems to work, but no stock near me #

Search by zipcode, city etc.

aarmstrong27

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
Just curious, what did you use to price match? Did you just tell them or show them the FB post? The website doesn't have a price and there's not ad for it.

I called and spoke to a manager first. She said she had already heard of the price drop. When I went in, the customer service clerk called a manager on her walkie talkie and asked "How much are the iPhones at WalMart?", and then put everything in the computer. I didn't have to show anything. :D

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula

Realize that Apple may be worried about closing the quarter with hundreds of millions of dollars of unsold Iphone inventory - looks very bad on the quarterly report.

Sure they'd eventually sell, but Apple may be more concerned about inventory than about margin - hence these greatly reduced prices.

BeardedOrc

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
I will be saving so much money but I will be robbed by the people waiting in the Walmart parking lot.

How ironic. A person coming from a third world country that have worse security situation now belittling people who shops at WalMart.

If you are being sarcastic, I apologize..

So obviously it's an even far worse situation for Samsung right now considering their current fire-sale discounts at Best Buy then eh? The $49 Galaxy S III and $299 Galaxy Tab 2 in today's ad are discounted far more heavily than anything from Apple is there. So Samsung's sales must be even further below expectations and the channel must be overflowing with their unsold products then using your logic. Glad we cleared that up.

The difference is that Apple products are not known for giving out big discounts as they are supposed be always on demands and thus sell briskly especially with i5 which just came out. This is not the norm.

I think Apple just want to announce something positive. To stop their stocks free fall by announcing how much iGadgets they sold this holiday season as this would certainly bump those numbers.

Last edited:

NOV

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2004
The Netherlands
Yesterday they aired the Southpark episode on "WallMart" over here on CC. Constantly had to think back while reading this thread..

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
if you are not a fan or care to own a Apple product then why bother being a member to a Apple forum ?

I own 3 iPods, 2 MacBooks, 2 iMacs, 3 iPhones, and Apple TV

I don't have a problem with Apple.. I have a problem with Wal-Mart! I only buy Apple products at Apple retail stores or Apple online store

AlterZgo

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2011
Went to Walmart today and got one.

Literally took over 30 minutes, whereas Apple would have taken care of it in 5.

On the other hand, Walmart does have 14 day return policy without restocking fee, and the phone is exactly the same.

I would go with Walmart all day.

Are you implying that Apple doesn't allow you to return the iPhone w/o a restocking fee?

Because Apple's policy is better. They actually have a 30 day return policy on the iPhone. However, because most people activate it with a cellular contract that can only be voided in 14 days, it essentially turns into just a 14 day return period on a subsidized phone.

If you bought an unlocked iPhone 5 and didn't have a contract with a carrier, you could return it in 30 days without any restocking fee. Here's the info. Look under Returns and refunds at the bottom.

Konrad

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2009
Bi-continental
You're lucky. With your attitude, if I was him, I'd let you wait for a year...
I don't have a habit to beg for a disposable gadget and wait for one while sleeping all night on the sidewalk to be the first moron to have a new generation something. I am the customer and I am the payee and I require world class service from a what is on a global scale a large corporation. I don't need the half retarded salespeople with goofy santa hats looking like they woke up too late to take a shower and are having a difficult time with English.

You may like it, it may be even perfectly suited for you, but I don't give a crap about it.

And this is how imbecile AT&T has further proved to be....imbecile. After yesterdays purchase and contract closure confirmation + new phone purchased based on...the contract expiration, I receive this:

"Request number: xxxxxxxx
Thank you for contacting AT&T Customer Care about unlocking your iPhone.

We cannot complete your request because the service commitment for this iPhone has not been completed or no valid current/ former mobile number is associated with the request.
If you have questions, review the general eligibility requirements for unlocking an iPhone.
Thank you for your business. For other questions about our wireless service or iPhones, contact AT&T Customer Care at (800) 331-0500.
You may also check the status of your unlock request by clicking the link for AT&T's Device Unlock Status Portal.
Sincerely,
The AT&T Customer Care Team
DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE
All replies are automatically deleted.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.