Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
Hi.

I have a 1TB Time Capsule. Not sure which generation it is but I do know it has simultaneous dual-band. Up until now I haven't given my 5Ghz band a different name and have Time Capsule configured for 5Ghz n, 2.4Ghz b/g/n, trusting that my devices would determine which band to use automatically.

But I'm wondering, is there any way to tell for sure? I think I remember a long time ago that the AirPort Utility gave more options so you could see which devices were connecting to which bands but I may be mistaken.

I experimented by giving my 5Ghz network a different name and found that my devices didn't switch to it without being told. This makes me wonder if they were defaulting to 2.4Ghz all along.

Anyone know?

Thanks!

nephron8

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2012
it does not matter.
it depends on device support.
if it has 5 ghz , it will connect on that band.
else 2.4

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
The best way to get devices to use 5Ghz is to give the 5Ghz band a different network name.
Then set the order of WiFi Preferred Networks in each device's System Preferences>Network>WiFi>Advanced to reflect this.

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
Thanks guys. Yea, I gave my 5Ghz network a different name and chose it manually. I just with there was a way to confirm that this really was happening automatically without that.

wifi:ac-version? Huh? Air conditioning?

Yea but that particular LaCie is in a raid array so you're going to get higher results as there is 2 x 256gb ssds. I get around 358/386mbs but my Samsung is a single 256gb ssd.

The rugged LaCie wold be a better comparison as its a single 256gb ssd and I know it runs slower I think it's around 250/345

IEEE 802.11ac - the next big standard in wifi

1 gigabit per second and a maximum single link throughput of at least 500 megabits per second (500 Mbit/s)

and

anandtech.com-review

and

review of 5 802.11ac routers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.