Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bruins Fan

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2012
Boston, MA
Add me to the list of "all the timers"

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned calls going straight to vm because you are using data - does that happen on the iPhone with Verizon or Sprint?

That would be even more of a deal-breaker.

I tested this today. I still get calls while on the web using the cell network. Just can't keep surfing while on a call. No problem for me.

----------

The call goes to VM. It's just like Edge network on ATT back in the days with original iPhone.

Not on Verizon. Just tried it. Calls come through for me.

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Talk+surf is a very useful feature. I'm on t-mobile and my area hasn't been upgraded for 3G yet so I am considering going back to an Android in the meantime so that I can have this feature again.

It's also one of the reasons that I have never been with any of the CDMA carriers since I've owned a smartphone.

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 19, 2011
LOL, wow at the plethora of responses this thread has gotten.

It's funny how people on here personally insult just for an opinion that was simply stated. Grow up please?

I was simply expressing displeasure at the innocuous extremes some go to to persuade others to stay or go, nothing more.

Its funny that some would take sub-par phone connections and simultaneous data over reliability, that's all.

And for the record, someone mentioned the VZW iPhone can't recieve phone calls while using cell data? LOL, how antiquated do you think the network really is?

I suppose to close, I, myself, do not think this is an important feature of choosing a network. Clearly most of you do, that's fine. I'd rather choose the latter of the two qualities I just listed.

And to reiterate how much of a non-issue this is, someone mentioned that I haven't resurfaced; its purely due to the fact I forgot about this thread. That's how much of a non-issue it is for ME.

Glad to see the responses though. Makes me realize how important others think they must be to be able to do multiple things at once to make it seem like they believe they are in some upper echelon of society ;)

And btw, as most people on ATT are on wifi also along with most of the consumers out there, which is readily available, both companies phones are almost identical feature-wise. I can do everything on wi-fi with CDMA that GSM can. And in the car, its not necessary for ME personally to talk and drive and read macrumors. Call me crazy, but i like to drive un-obstructed.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I was simply expressing displeasure at the innocuous extremes some go to to persuade others to stay or go, nothing more.

And in the car, its not necessary for ME personally to talk and drive and read macrumors. Call me crazy, but i like to drive un-obstructed.

Where are you seeing all these people going to "extremes" to persuade people to go or stay?

And where are all these drivers who talk and browse the web that you're speaking of?

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
To clarify: do you mean it can't at least notify you that a call is incoming? If you're using an app does it just go straight to voicemail?

The question is. Where are you often is the deciding factor on how essential the feature is. If you always between coffee sj

isephmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
It's such a big factor I mean honestly you need this in your life so many times I've had to look up a pizza number , do a quick google of sport scores , movie times especially !!!!! The best is using apps that use data . If you don't multi task and just have boring unimportant no data requiring info then sure Verizon is for you ! Fast lTE but for those that do , and need to get things done fast then this feature really is top notch

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
To clarify: do you mean it can't at least notify you that a call is incoming? If you're using an app does it just go straight to voicemail?

The question is. Where are you often is the deciding factor on how essential the feature is. If you always between coffee shop, office, home etc (places with wifi) not a big deal. If you are in fields/outside its a big deal. That's not the case with me so I don't mind it. Plus I don't have a car since moving to Chitown.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
I'm a customer of both Verizon (mifi LTE data) and AT&T (iPhone, 4G/LTE). I've been a long time Verizon customer since Airtouch... but I switched to AT&T when I moved in a location where I have weak, or no phone coverage with Verizon. I don't have any issues with either Verizon or AT&T... and happy with both. People should go with the carrier that gives you the best service for your location... and not on features or perks carriers offer.

That being said... I still think the surf and talk feature with AT&T is very useful... and I usually use it when I need it the most. For example... my wife needed me to research something while she was on the road talking to me (of course through a hands free device), and I just put her on speaker phone... while research online for her. Also, it comes in handy when my boss is talking to me on the phone... and she tells me she sent me something on email... or look something up through our online forms. The speaker phone comes in handy during surf and talk... so I don't have to put my boss on hold while I read her email... or look up something on our website data. It's probably a feature that some hardly use... but it's really good feature to have in certain situations.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
I hate, hate, HATE that people still use this argument to deter people from switching from ATT to VZW. I mean, how often do you REALLY find yourself needing this feature?...If you say you do in the car, you got problems and should stop driving/surfing/talking and just drive.
Why does it matter so much to you?

I talk and surf petty often, at least a few times a week. I think if I couldn't do that it would be really irritating to me.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
I hate, hate, HATE that people still use this argument to deter people from switching from ATT to VZW. I mean, how often do you REALLY find yourself needing this feature?...If you say you do in the car, you got problems and should stop driving/surfing/talking and just drive.

I don't surf and talk, I don't think I ever have. But, I find VZW is more expensive than AT&T.

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
I use this all the time. There's no way I could go to Verizon, it's crippling to the phone not to allow this feature.
Plus, now with the new Google Maps and Apple Maps ... free turn by turn directions, it could be problematic if you were taking a call via the bluetooth in your car.

It's just nice to have, really. If you're on a long call, you'd still be able to access iMessage which I dont think you can on Verizon (for example).

divisionbuyzero

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
I use it a lot actually. Either while on speaker phone or while using a headset. I like AT&T because their network is much faster but being able to talk and surf is a very good advantage too.

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
LOL, wow at the plethora of responses this thread has gotten.

It's funny how people on here personally insult just for an opinion that was simply stated. Grow up please?

Its funny that some would take sub-par phone connections and simultaneous data over reliability, that's all.

And for the record, someone mentioned the VZW iPhone can't recieve phone calls while using cell data? LOL, how antiquated do you think the network really is?

I suppose to close, I, myself, do not think this is an important feature of choosing a network. Clearly most of you do, that's fine. I'd rather choose the latter of the two qualities I just listed.

And to reiterate how much of a non-issue this is, someone mentioned that I haven't resurfaced; its purely due to the fact I forgot about this thread. That's how much of a non-issue it is for ME.

Glad to see the responses though. Makes me realize how important others think they must be to be able to do multiple things at once to make it seem like they believe they are in some upper echelon of society ;)

And btw, as most people on ATT are on wifi also along with most of the consumers out there, which is readily available, both companies phones are almost identical feature-wise. I can do everything on wi-fi with CDMA that GSM can. And in the car, its not necessary for ME personally to talk and drive and read macrumors. Call me crazy, but i like to drive un-obstructed.
I love that you came back and insulted us, while commenting that you've been insulted.

Brettka7

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
I have a Verizon 5 and would love to have been able to talk and surf all those times I've been sitting on hold for hours.

n2deep

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2010
I do sometimes. Its a nice feature to have. Especially when I tethered to my laptop and someone calls.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Wow, I didn't know VZ didn't offer simultaneous voice and data. While I don't typically "surf" and talk, I do use Maps for navigation and quite often I have to either take a call or make one during, which necessitates voice and data. I definitely would not want to be without this feature, in fact I never knew this was a "feature" as we've had this capability since before the iPhone came out in early 3G days (in Canada, with Rogers/Fido). :cool:

rever3nce

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
I literally use mine EVERYDAY, in fact I am using it now haha. It's great if you have a lot of meeting calls

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.