Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gomtu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
Florida
I know next to nothing about such matters, and when it comes to this sort of thing I'm pretty much a contemptible noob (please don't hit me) but it's come to my attention that I might be able to remedy my most annoying and disappointing issue with my phone by jailbreaking it.

That issue is the ridiculous limitation on the video formats I can play on it, which seem to have been put in place in order to force me to buy all my video from the iTunes store, which I'm most certainly not going to do, being that I have 8.2 tb of video on my computer, that being stuff I like, and iTunes doesn't really have ANYTHING I like.

So today I went looking for some way to get my iPhone 3GS to play .avi, divx, and other formats. I was charmed to find there are such players, such as Movie Player and Buzz player, which I've downloaded as .ipa files, but the rub comes in when I find I have jailbreak my phone before I can install them.

I don't know anything about that, and it sounds like it might be just a little illegal, or at least something that might invoke the displeasure of Apple and bring their wrath down upon me in some insidious way. I hope I'm wrong about that.

If I am, and I can get clean away with this, which would be pretty spiffy, I'd like to know the best way to go about jailbreaking my iPhone, which of the players I can then install are the best, what possible problems might arise from this, and what certain terms, like "tethered" mean. I get a bit lost in all of this stuff being a noob.

I have to say that the features and abilities of these players are most appealing, particularly the ability to plug my phone into my TV and play video content from my computer in the next room over WiFi. Hot damn! That's truly groovy! Can I really do that? It would be such a fabulous thing if I can! I would be so incredibly happy if I could!

My phone is running the latest greatest 6.0.1, and I'm on a G4 MDD running Leopard.

What say you folks?

Last edited:

gomtu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
Florida
If the players you mention are paid apps, discussion of piracy is not permitted here.
Buy your apps.

Excuse me, I do BUY MY APPS, thankyouverymuch, and I have in no way discussed any form of piracy. Are you perhaps hoping for someone to bash here? Pretty quick on the trigger there aren't you?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.