Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marinia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
I'm going to be starting medical school in the fall (early August) and have after quite a bit of research on other ultrabooks, I've decided on the MBA. This will be my first Mac so I'm a little hesitant, but also excited to see what all the hype is about.

Is it likely that the 2013 will be released sometime this summer?

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
Maybe.

Average product update is 322 days and today we sit at 185 days. That means we have ~ 140 days left if that still holds true. However the range is 237-499 days. Update is usually Jun/July or Oct.

Next big update is Hassell which intel is suppose to release Q2 2013. However delays can always happen. But the Haswell MBA is the one to have. If you need one now buy a used or refurb and sell it when the new one comes out. If you don't need one now wait.

Marinia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
Maybe.

Average product update is 322 days and today we sit at 185 days. That means we have ~ 140 days left if that still holds true. However the range is 237-499 days. Update is usually Jun/July or Oct.

Next big update is Hassell which intel is suppose to release Q2 2013. However delays can always happen. But the Haswell MBA is the one to have. If you need one now buy a used or refurb and sell it when the new one comes out. If you don't need one now wait.

Sounds good. I'm looking to get a 13" 8GB/128GB since the 256GB upgrade is pretty expensive and I'm sure I can get by with an external.

I noticed that applecare on the new MBA is ~$250.. Is it necessary?

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
Sounds good. I'm looking to get a 13" 8GB/128GB since the 256GB upgrade is pretty expensive and I'm sure I can get by with an external.

I noticed that applecare on the new MBA is ~$250.. Is it necessary?

I have personal article insurance on my pro, which covers damage and theft for less that $30 a year. Apple care just extends the warranty of the computer which isn't a bad idea either it just depends if you need it, but I do think you can buy it anytime before the 1 year apple care is up.

Marinia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
Are the 2013s supposed to be significantly better than the mid2012s or will it just be another slight update?

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
Are the 2013s supposed to be significantly better than the mid2012s or will it just be another slight update?

Define "better" for us and what that means to you. Haswell will have much better iGPU a well as be more emerges efficient. Probably means longe battery life. Better GPU + longer battery is a good thing. Then throw in many of us hoping Apple goes with a IPS screen and many of us would be happy. :)

DrumApple

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
There's always a possibility for a new design although it probably would be very minor. There's been reports of Apple sourcing carbon fiber, so it could actually be lighter too. I just want a new IPS screen. Waiting, and waiting. . . don't really want to go for a rMBP 13" but it's starting to entice me.

Marinia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
Define "better" for us and what that means to you. Haswell will have much better iGPU a well as be more emerges efficient. Probably means longe battery life. Better GPU + longer battery is a good thing. Then throw in many of us hoping Apple goes with a IPS screen and many of us would be happy. :)

Anything that makes it worth the price difference between a refurb 2012. Obviously that's subjective too though.. damn.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
What are the chance that new MacBook Air will be announced and released before Aug?

Don't need a MBA now, but maybe 6 months from now.

knarzie

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2008
What are the chance that new MacBook Air will be announced and released before Aug?

Don't need a MBA now, but maybe 6 months from now.

If six months I'd say wait. You might just miss the next update if it doesn't happen till October, but if you don't need it now, why not wait till August in case there is an early summer update?

macs4nw

macrumors 601
What are the chance that new MacBook Air will be announced and released before Aug? Don't need a MBA now, but maybe 6 months from now.

The 'AIR' was last updated in June of this year. Also Haswell processors are coming out April 2013, so there is that possibility of a June refresh. Those Haswells have HD4600 integrated graphics, which is a significant step up from the HD4000 in Ivy Bridge. There's also some speculation about possible Retina displays, so in your situation of not needing one right away, I would definitely wait.

MatthaiosSaraj

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2012
I think apple will want to have a laptop refresh before back to school season. Maybe they have same early preview from intel since rumors are that intel is pushing their integrated GPU development because of apple wants to get rid of dedicated GPU in their portable devices.

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
Haswell will ship as early as March but I expect the 2013 MBAir release date will wholly depend on the availability of the Retina Display part.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Haswell will ship as early as March but I expect the 2013 MBAir release date will wholly depend on the availability of the Retina Display part.

WWDC 2013?

Apple announced refreshed MBA and MBP as well as MBP with Retina last year.

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
WWDC 2013?

Apple announced refreshed MBA and MBP as well as MBP with Retina last year.

I expect the 13" MBAir to share the same part as the 13" rMBPro. The 1" MBAir will have something like 1080p?

As to when only apple and their suppliers know.

jksu

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2009
count me in for a 2013 if it has an improved display (ips minimum), haswell for improved speed/graphics/battery/heat, and cheaper ssd. any body change is a bonus but i love the current sturdy form factor.

would love the above in the 11". keep price closer to $1200 for one with i5/8/256 and i'm all over it. still love my 2010 c2d/4/128 11". it runs much cooler/quieter than the newer ones but battery life is poor (3hrs?) and my 128gig ssd is filled up.

i'm ok leaving retina out of the mba to keep price low and battery life up.

those who want retina should pay up get the macbook pro with retina. price differentiation is good since not all of us can or want to pay for the latest/greatest that may not be necessary for our needs.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
I've decided on getting a MacBook Air. My MacBook is now 4 years 2 months old. It needed a new logic board back in July. I wasn't prepared to buy a new machine back then because I had never really gave it much thought as my MacBook was going strong. It just died out of the blue.

If it was to die on me today then I'd order the 13" i5/8GB/128GB Air. I'm just going to keep my eye on what Apple offers so that I'm prepared if this MacBook breaks down. It's still great for my uses (internet, watching movies, listening to music, word processing and light gaming) and can get ~3-4 hours out of it depending on settings/usage.

I'd like a retina display but that's going to cost more and drain more battery. Should I wait for a retina display, how close do you think they are to putting one in the Air? Also, is it likely that the NEXT Air will use Haswell CPU's?

I just need some advice. Again, my MacBook is running fine (knock on wood) at the moment and I hope to get some more time out of it while I save up for a MacBook Air. I'm looking at buying the next release, assuming it comes out June or later.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009

As early as March but could be as late as June. Others have said mid 2013. No official releases date as of yet. But as with many things, I expect some hangups and delays.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Personally I don't really care about RD (at least for computers). Reason is like the MBP, its going to cost more.

Hope Apple drops the price again from $1200 to $1100. Add new processor, more RAM and SSD, perhaps able to wireless charge iPhone.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
perhaps able to wireless charge iPhone.

Interesting. You are the first I recall reading that has wished for this. What about those MBA users that use a Droid or Blackberry phone? I have never read a rumor mentioning Apple is considering this. But who knows.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
Yeah I hadn't come across that before. Thanks for sharing. Not sure how I feel about that as it will increase the cost of production. Would probably rather they used an IPS screen or increase stock SSD for the same price. This sounds like cool tech, but who knows when I will have a phone that supports the technology.

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2012
Haswell seems really intriguing, and seems like its really a huge step up. I own a 2012 mba 13 i5/8/256 at the moment which i bought last month. depending on the specs on the 2013 mba, i might sell my macbook air.

anybody know the resale value of a 2012 mba 13 i5/8/256?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.