Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
L.A is known to have earthquakes.
Just sayin..

It's called building codes - construction. It's much stricter in California than most of the world.

I'm sure Apple and the glass nature of the structure were heavily scrutinized.

You know the Golden Gate Bridge is still standing in San Fran right? After numerous earthquakes.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Was there today, I didn't know it was a grand opening. The place is pretty nice and man was it packed. Went in and looked around. I liked it.

Yep, it is nice. Although I miss the old theatre. Last bit of the classic store design is dying out

----------

They have this exact same store design at Highland Village in Houston and I can tell you, it gets hot as hell in there.

After about a month they installed large cloth strips on the ceiling to provide shade.

But is that a factor of the building or general climate.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
They have this exact same store design at Highland Village in Houston and I can tell you, it gets hot as hell in there.

After about a month they installed large cloth strips on the ceiling to provide shade.

You are comparing Texas to the 3rd street from the Pacific Ocean. Have you ever been to 3rd street promenade in Santa Monica?

I have in June, July, and August months and the temperature was fine during the day.

Also people, stop feeding the troll - Mac Poison blah blah, he joined the site this month and has been trolling the last few days.

Maybe he could spend more time adjusting his Android ROMs and widgets.

Last edited:

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
I can't find the reference, but read once that an average thunderstorm's winds put much more stress on the Golden Gate than any foreseeable earthquake.

Remember the Tacoma Narrows Bridge?

That makes sense considering that earthquakes last seconds and thunderstorms last hours.

I have a friend who is a geologist that spent years working for the government, examining nuclear power plants and nuclear waste storage facilities that are located near fault lines. I'm more concerned about the structural integrity of 1970s nuclear facilities than a 2012 Glass Apple Store.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Finally someone comes here with actual experience to validate my comments! After an avalanche of flames and moronic sarcasm that I've received for saying the obvious... But sure... apple knows all about glass...:rolleyes:

You got flamed because you were whining about how that store is gonna be running their AC. From Malibu to Hermosa, the beach cities are known for being way cooler than inland. This is Santa Monica, not the San Fernando Valley.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
You got flamed because you were whining about how that store is gonna be running their AC. From Malibu to Hermosa, the beach cities are known for being way cooler than inland. This is Santa Monica, not the San Fernando Valley.

I wonder if anyone clicked the link I posted? Not, I gather. The ARB in Santa Monica expressed similar concerns. However energy issues are not actually within their purview, and all new construction has to meet the stringent Title 24 energy standards in California, so the debate is essentially moot.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
Damn it, rode right past this tonight on the SM big blue bus on route 1 on Santa Monica Bl. Had no clue about this new store.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
I wonder if anyone clicked the link I posted? Not, I gather. The ARB in Santa Monica expressed similar concerns. However energy issues are not actually within their purview, and all new construction has to meet the stringent Title 24 energy standards in California, so the debate is essentially moot.

Energy issues would be in the jurisdiction of So Cal Edison, who would be more worried about overloading in San Bernadino than near the coast

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
That looks pretty cool. I just walked by this building on Wednesday, and I didn't even know. All I smelled was a bunch of spray paint. Although, if it's all windows, I'm not sure why I smelled that. Hmm...

----------

Finally someone comes here with actual experience to validate my comments! After an avalanche of flames and moronic sarcasm that I've received for saying the obvious... But sure... apple knows all about glass...:rolleyes:

I think someone poisoned your food. This is essentially on the beach. I don't think it's going to be too hot.

----------

This is an ecological disaster of building for such a climate. I bet the air conditioning units are larger in volume than the actual store to keep this place cool. But they could be using reflective coatings on the glass which would mean anyone walking outside will be properly toasted.

Oh man... I'm not even going to reply.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
Aren't you witty? So, as I understand it this story shouldn't have been posted on the front page because it was a waste of your time? Yet you did have time to look at it, read it, and comment on it...

Obviously I saw it and read it as it was on the home page.. And I commented on it because I found it funny this is considered worthy of front page. I'm right. And you know it.

Last edited:

macs4nw

macrumors 601
.....(4) I asked one of the sales guys about the heat issue and he pointed out to me a whole perforated area of wall below the display tables. The building has a system of air that comes out from the lower walls and circulates over the floors. He assured me that rain or shine, the building will stay at a comfortable temperature year round. It's very highly and ingeniously climate controlled.

Meticulous engineering, not only in their products, but even in the buildings where they sell those products.
This company continues to impress.....:apple:

Mac_Max

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2004
This is an ecological disaster of building for such a climate. I bet the air conditioning units are larger in volume than the actual store to keep this place cool. But they could be using reflective coatings on the glass which would mean anyone walking outside will be properly toasted.

I am sure that Apple doesn't know what they are doing when it comes to glass, building with it or using it for their products, let alone environmental or ecological issues.

In short they seem to be clueless. We will only believe you.

Clearly time for you to step up and help them, before somebody gets hurt!

Don't hold back, they need you.

I can see the Apple store, including the roof, quite well from where I work. I'll try and snap a photo on Monday. During construction there didn't really seem to be an inordinate number of AC units. There did seem to be a coating on the roof but that could have been something to keep workers from scratching the panels during construction (seeing people walk on a glass roof is slightly amusing).

Last edited by a moderator:

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Everyone's comments that apple knows best and seeing that they are glass geniuses couldn't possibly design a store that would subsequently need shades have been proven as utter rubbish. It remains to be seen if what I said is accurate or not, at least it hasn't been conclusively disproved as the other position. Better luck next time buddy. ;)

I actually live in Santa Monica, and the sun shines most of the day directly onto my shadeless windows. I have reflective coating that does a great job of keeping it cool.

----------

The fact that the ocean cools the area down has nothing to do with sunlight absorption! Haven't you ever experienced one of those days where it's cold outside, but the sunlight is very bright and makes you hot when you are in it? That's Santa Monica every day.

----------

Let's all cheer! Apple has another giant, waste of space store in the world. Aren't we all proud for them!!

The world is a better place. Yippee!!

Linux user? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012

Dude do you seriously know what you are talking about? I think the technologies we have now can do better than that.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Our Culture

Even the haters have to admit that Apple store openings are fun for the cool people like us.

ap_iphone_5_lines_3_wy_120921_wblog.jpg

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
You are comparing Texas to the 3rd street from the Pacific Ocean. Have you ever been to 3rd street promenade in Santa Monica?

I have in June, July, and August months and the temperature was fine during the day.

You're acting like I insulted your girlfriend.

It's a store, not a person.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Also people, stop feeding the troll - Mac Poison blah blah, he joined the site this month and has been trolling the last few days.

Yep, just check out his past post on this board. It's fine to be critical but you wonder when every post is critical and confrontational. It's as bad as the people who post Apple does no wrong. Apple is only a business and it does both bad things and good things. I find it very difficult to believe that someone can complain about a particular store if they have never actually been in it.

luckysob

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2011
Pretty building. I'll never buy anything at that location because the sales tax is higher than the surrounding communities that have Apple stores.

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
I'm just surprised that Apple built a store in such a crap location. 3rd street is as junkie at stretch of stores I've ever seen. The shoplifting and B&E is probably enormous.

toddheasley

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2006

It's a common misconception that the weather in Santa Monica is hot during the summer. Unless the Santa Anas are blowing, which is maybe 5 days a year, temperatures in Santa Monica max out at ~70 degrees during the summer. The weather along the Westside of LA is so mild that most houses have neither heat or air conditioning.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I'm just surprised that Apple built a store in such a crap location. 3rd street is as junkie at stretch of stores I've ever seen. The shoplifting and B&E is probably enormous.

They probably got a very good deal then. Apple stores are shown to be very profitable and bring up the surrounding property value (i.e. it could be a win for Apple if they got a good deal on it and it's definitely a win for the area). I don't know if there will be as many problems at Apple stores after a video was shown on youtube of the police security tasering an unruly customer in Nashua NH :D.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.