Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
Still waiting for my 27" iMac to arrive. Due Wednesday.

I maxed out my 27" iMac with the top i7 processor and 768 SSD.

The only thing I did not max out was the video card.

I went with the included 1GB card.

I am not a gamer. However, I do bits of work in Photoshop and iMovie/Final Cut.

With that in mind, did I cut myself short not upgrading the video card?

Thanks

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
I'm not a gamer but I heavily use Aperture 3 and and prepping to get into video I am told that it relies heavily on the GPU.

I will also use a 2nd display with identical resolution as the iMac (2560x1440) so I need all the umph it can do.

Take note that you cannot upgrade your GPU after you order. You will need to buy a new Mac for a better GPU. I am planning to make this purchase in 2015 or 2017. By then 4K and 8K Retina Displays would be the norm.

With a teardown you can upgrade the CPU, HDD and SSD but no way can the GPU be upgraded.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
Thanks for the reply.

I forgot to mention that I am driving a second Apple display, but was not sure that the video card would make a difference.

Would love to hear additional opinions. Will the 1GB be good enough?

El Awesome

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
Zurich

Thanks

No, you're fine.
With 2GB, there might have been a little speedbump when you are really maxing out everything from your Mac, but this happens so rarely that the money for the 2GB isn't worth it.

Have fun!

Arman

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2008
SoCal
I'm not a gamer but I heavily use Aperture 3 and and prepping to get into video I am told that it relies heavily on the GPU.

I will also use a 2nd display with identical resolution as the iMac (2560x1440) so I need all the umph it can do.

Take note that you cannot upgrade your GPU after you order. You will need to buy a new Mac for a better GPU. I am planning to make this purchase in 2015 or 2017. By then 4K and 8K Retina Displays would be the norm.

With a teardown you can upgrade the CPU, HDD and SSD but no way can the GPU be upgraded.

i kinda regret not getting the 680MX. I'm in the same boat. I used Aperture 3 a lot and will be delving into amateur videography soon (Just purchased a Canon G10) so it probably would have helped. Also, probably would ensure more future proofing once Aperture 4/5 come.

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
Do you guys think the 660m (with 512mb of VRAM) will be enough for standard aperture 3 usage?

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn

Thanks

You spent $1300 on ssd,$200 for i7,? if you upgraded ram,? extras (ie: apple care ect) but not $150 for GTX 680MX....at your budget,i think i would have spent the extra $150.

Be like buying a new Ferrari,and getting cloth seats rather then leather....

Just a thought.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
Just a thought.

Well, appreciate the thought....

But consider this....

I have already said I am not a gamer. Clearly, if I was, I would have gone for the Ferrari.

Having already spent $1300 on a SSD drive and upgrading to the best i7 processor being offered doesn't mean I have to go all the way just because I'm almost there.

Already, responses in this thread indicate that perhaps I don't need 2GB of video memory for what I do. I am just second-guessing what I purchased at this point just because I am curious to see exactly what that extra $150 would have bought me. A slight speed bump when I am totally maxed out on resources is not worthy of that cost.

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
i kinda regret not getting the 680MX. I'm in the same boat. I used Aperture 3 a lot and will be delving into amateur videography soon (Just purchased a Canon G10) so it probably would have helped. Also, probably would ensure more future proofing once Aperture 4/5 come.

I am a bit inclined to transition to LR4 as Apple seems uninterested in developing Aperture beyond a point release.

Do you guys think the 660m (with 512mb of VRAM) will be enough for standard aperture 3 usage?

The fastest GPU I've used was a Intel HD Graphics 4000 on a 2012 MBAir Core i7 with SSD and NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT on a 2011 MBPro Core i7 with HDD. These are positioned by at "211" and "242" on notebookcheck.net's Laptop Video Graphics Cards - Benchmark List. The 660m is positioned at "56" vs the 680mx positioned at "7".

Do not worry both Kepler GPUs (680MX and 660M) are considered "High-End Graphics Cards" while half the GPUs I've been using are "Low-Midrange Graphics Cards" and the other half "Low-End Graphics Cards" I've put up and survived with it.

My images tend to be around 16-32GB of RAWs from a EOS-1D Mark IV, EOS 5D Mark II, and EOS 7D at the high end.

The benchmarklist has a complete notebook GPU listing and some desktop GPUs for the purpose of comparison.

As for going a full SSD setup... I am on the bench with that. I ordered a 1TB Fusion drive. By 2016 I may decide to break open my 2012 iMac and install the "stick" SSD and a 2.5" SSD if the capacity is more than 4TB with 600MB/s read/write for $200.

The numbers I mentioned can be a reality in 3 years time.

MuSiCh4Film

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2012
Paris, France
Well, appreciate the thought....

But consider this....

I have already said I am not a gamer. Clearly, if I was, I would have gone for the Ferrari.

Having already spent $1300 on a SSD drive and upgrading to the best i7 processor being offered doesn't mean I have to go all the way just because I'm almost there.

Already, responses in this thread indicate that perhaps I don't need 2GB of video memory for what I do. I am just second-guessing what I purchased at this point just because I am curious to see exactly what that extra $150 would have bought me. A slight speed bump when I am totally maxed out on resources is not worthy of that cost.

Gamer or no gamer, spending that much on a SSD is pretty ridic, imo.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
That argument has been rehashed over and over and over again throughout this forum.

Perhaps you can add that to one of the threads already in existence. Nobody is really agreeing with each other when it comes to that opinion.

Just because it doesn't suit your needs doesn't mean it doesn't suit mine. In fact, already owning a Retina Macbook Pro with SSD, spending that amount was obviously more important to me than was going with the best video card available.

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
That argument has been rehashed over and over and over again throughout this forum.

Perhaps you can add that to one of the threads already in existence. Nobody is really agreeing with each other when it comes to that opinion.

Just because it doesn't suit your needs doesn't mean it doesn't suit mine. In fact, already owning a Retina Macbook Pro with SSD, spending that amount was obviously more important to me than was going with the best video card available.

I would go with a full ssd setup myself but my spending priorities differs to those who went full on ssd.

I'd like some money left over to buy a couple of ssds for my 2011 and 2010 MBPros. A couple of 256GB Samsung 840 Pro fusioned to 1tb and 750gb hdd.

FuriousGreg

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2011

Thanks

You'll be happy, no need for buyer's remorse.
For PS, FCP, (any of the CS suite) the processor and SSD are more noticeable than the GPU (quicker loading and saving and quicker filter crunching)
If you were doing 3D or gaming then you would have wanted the 680mx, but you're not so the 675mx (which is no slouch by any measure) will be fine.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
If you were doing 3D or gaming then you would have wanted the 680mx, but you're not so the 675mx (which is no slouch by any measure) will be fine.
Greg,

Very relieved to read that. Definitely what I wanted to hear.

Thank you for the help everyone.

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
If you're a gamer why not a custom pc? Cheaper and readily upgradeable. I hear good things with windows 8 pro

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.