Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bugbear99

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
Just arrived yesterday, freezing for 3 times.

3.4G
680mx
1TB fusion
using corsair vengeance 16G kits (8x2) CMSX16GX3M2A1600CL

it's occasionally freezing when loading / opening app
when freezing, mouse pointer still can move
temperate is low (fan at low speed)
cpu is low as well

hardware test found nothing

is it because the ram?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Have to agree with the above posters, just a couple of days ago there was a User here having problems with Corsair 2 X 4 GB memory, exchanged it with another set, also Corsair but different type and again problems.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I stay away from corsair ram when it comes to macs, great for pc but not so much for Macs in my experiance. Grab some crucial ram and see how it goes.

sjz88

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
Just read the other RAM thread. The corsair RAM is CL 10 whereas the Apple RAM is CL 11. That's probably causing the trouble. I'm curious if someone with the Crucial CL 11 RAM is experiencing similar problems.

bugbear99

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
where did you get this ram from?...when i run search all i get is hp notebook...

i got it from a local store.

----------

Just read the other RAM thread. The corsair RAM is CL 10 whereas the Apple RAM is CL 11. That's probably causing the trouble. I'm curious if someone with the Crucial CL 11 RAM is experiencing similar problems.

i have already remove the Apple stock ram, but still freezing.
i guess it's because the ram spec which is not so compatible to this iMac
the corsair ram run 1.5v
the stock ram run 1.35

i wish i was go for crucial.

is anyone using this ram and haven't any issue?

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
Using 2 8GB Ram modules from Crucial alongside the 8GB Apple Ram sticks and not experiencing any issues whatsoever.

sjz88

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
Using 2 8GB Ram modules from Crucial alongside the 8GB Apple Ram sticks and not experiencing any issues whatsoever.

Thank you. i'll sleep better tonight :)
@OP: just See if you can sell your RAM or send it back...?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
i got it from a local store.

----------

i have already remove the Apple stock ram, but still freezing.
i guess it's because the ram spec which is not so compatible to this iMac
the corsair ram run 1.5v
the stock ram run 1.35

i wish i was go for crucial.

is anyone using this ram and haven't any issue?

Other people are using the Corsair without issue... Try maybe 2 sticks and see what happens..

THOPMedia

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
Just arrived yesterday, freezing for 3 times.

3.4G
680mx
1TB fusion
using corsair vengeance 16G kits (8x2) CMSX16GX3M2A1600CL

it's occasionally freezing when loading / opening app
when freezing, mouse pointer still can move
temperate is low (fan at low speed)
cpu is low as well

hardware test found nothing

is it because the ram?

So you are actually using 16gb of the original ram AND 16 gb of the corsair ram for a total of 32gb?

bugbear99

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
So you are actually using 16gb of the original ram AND 16 gb of the corsair ram for a total of 32gb?

i'm using only corsair ram for a total of 16GB.

----------

Other people are using the Corsair without issue... Try maybe 2 sticks and see what happens..

i removed the corsair ram, and install back the apple ram.
no freezing for 6 hours so far
i'll try to install corsair once again to confirm the source of the problem.

Yeroon

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
Yikes, I also have 16 GB (2x8) of Corsair Vengeance DD3 modules lying around, waiting for the iMac to arrive. It's CMSX16GX3M2A1600C10 to it seems to be exactly the same modules as yours...

So do Macs need special memory modules (apart from standard specs such as SODIMM, DD3, 1600 MHz) because of the voltage?

Last edited:

bugbear99

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
Yikes, I also have 16 GB (2x8) of Corsair Vengeance DD3 modules lying around, waiting for the iMac to arrive. It's CMSX16GX3M2A1600C10 to it seems to be exactly the same modules as yours...

So do Macs need special memory modules (apart from stands such as SODIMM, DD3, 1600 MHz) because of the voltage?

i dont know
but i found out there is an "apple ram" (claim tested with apple product) for corsair which is v1.35 and CL11
but mine is v1.5 CL10
not sure if it's the cause

Yeroon

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
Yeah, I see special 'Apple' RAM from Transcend, Mushkin and Corsair (CMSA16GX3M2A1600C11) so that seems to point to a compatibility issue...

maehara

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2003
Northern Ireland
Had 32GB of the Corsair on order (Crucial's out of stock of the recommended modules for the 27" at the mo), but I canceled that earlier today after seeing these posts. I'll wait for Crucial to restock, I think. Better safe than sorry...

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
I ordered the same stuff yesterday. I was just reading the Amazon reviews and there are several saying it works great in various Apple products. I'll be trying 1 pair in my 17" MBP tomorrow night.

Wakeywarrior

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2012
Have to say, shoddiest service ever received from an Internet retailer with Crucial.

I ordered the recommended ram, paid Paypal and went through and I got the order confirmation.

5 days later I heard nothing, so checked the account to see the order was cancelled.

No email explanation, nothing. Terrible service. I emailed them yesterday complaining but over 24 hours later no reply. The ram is now out of stock.

Terrible. I am in the UK and would like to source an alternative supplier.

rw3

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
DFW, TX
Run Rember which is a memory tester for Mac OS X....it will tell you if you have a bad stick. I had one in the Corsair Vengeance Kit for my Mac Mini Server...replaced it and all was well.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
i'm using only corsair ram for a total of 16GB.

----------

i removed the corsair ram, and install back the apple ram.
no freezing for 6 hours so far
i'll try to install corsair once again to confirm the source of the problem.

Did you make sure to install the RAM in slot 1 and 3, or 2 and 4? They should be staggered for correct pairing.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I'm not sure if it has to do with the OWC ram in this case, but I have to RMA my imac. It crashes to grey screen on startup sometimes. Can't hold on to a firewire adapter signal and killed my mouse and is just unstable. I re-ordered a replacement and now I'm thinking I should have got Apple Ram to be safe? Obviously huge price difference though.

Is there some foolproof way to test this 3rd party ram while in the imac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.