Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphoneclassic

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
USA
If she is able to sell iPhone 5 in China, Apple should make her China Sales lead. May be she can help Apple come out of a dud-launch.

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
Here's a post in the comments section of theregister: "I live in China. You see, here, people who can afford iPhones are rich. Security mall officers never do anything here. They sit around. They have no power. They are treated like dogs, and are called that way by many young childrens and adults alike.

Rich people are usually pushy, talk loudly, and have no manners when in public. They will quite literally elbow you out in line, talk at the top of their voice on their cell phone, park their car in front of yours and therefore making you stuck there, or park it in front of the only exit. Their lack of civility is extraordinary. These things I see everyday, I just need to look out the window or take a walk. How could a rich little strumpet like that lose face to a security mall officer? Impossible. How could she kowtow? Impossible. Way too proud and arrogant. I see her type every day here. Flouting the law is quite normal in China. These little strumpets always believe they can get away with everything because in China they do through bribery in those extreme cases...

Welcome to America, where when a police officer tells you to walk away, you better fricking believe that you should shut the hell up and do as told. Welcome to America, where stores employees will often try to follow the rules and the law. I would like to buy that officer a beer. Seeing one of these uncivilized (whatever the nationality) little strumpets, who never follow the rules, is usually rude, has no civility or manners finally get what she or he deserves feels very good."

So Chinese citizens don't seem to mind if a rich Chinese woman is tazered.I find it interesting that someone who is quite capable of buying two phones in the USA loses all ability to speak the language when confronted with some cops. "She says she couldn't understand the language" and "she couldn't understand the language" is not the same. And if a police officer tries to get you out of a store, you don't really need to understand any language at all.

It would be common sense that when you go to any foreign country you assume that the rules might be different than at home. Not leaving the store when the cops try to get you out is stupid (unless you are in a place where you know exactly how things work, and you know what you do is fine).

That said, I think a tazer should be used in one case only: When use of possibly lethal force would be justified, but a tazer can achieve the same goal without (if you're not out of luck) causing injury, without affecting the police officer and so on. If she resisted for an hour, I think they should have worked patiently until she was removed, then charge accordingly.

What he said is true. I'm Chinese myself, born in HK. A lot of Chinese from mainland China have no manners at all, because there are just too many people, they go out of their way to get what they want or they will lose out. Also, alot of them are not well educated. Just before the Beijing Olympics, there are commercials shown in China teaching their citizens how to line up, that's how bad they are.

If you can afford to buy several iPhones, the money most likely comes from corruption because the "average" citizen makes around US$400 per month.

Cops don't do much other than serious crimes in China and that depends on who the victim is, so I wouldn't be surprised if she ignored cops in the states.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Cops don't do much other than serious crimes in China and that depends on who the victim is, so I wouldn't be surprised if she ignored cops in the states.

I heard something similar from someone I know from China. He said that the police in China are for the most part unarmed and are unable to force people to do anything. He also said that the police are slapped, spit on, etc. and not held in high regard.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
So Chinese citizens don't seem to mind if a rich Chinese woman is tazered.I find it interesting that someone who is quite capable of buying two phones in the USA loses all ability to speak the language when confronted with some cops.

In China there is zero sympathy for the rich, and usually spoiled that break rules as they please.

And yes, to buy an iPhone you need some language skills. It's not a supermarket were you put them in your trolley. You need to tell them quantity, version (how many mb) and color.

From another report I read/heard that she was already ask to leave the store a few days earlier. Obviously the store had to put in a tougher line. A presume also that the tried quite a bit to ask her to go before the called the police. And when somebody gives you a stern look and points to the exit you will understand the meaning - no matter what language was used.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.