Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pock

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2012
Beds/Cambs, UK
With the previous version of iTunes (and if using grid view of albums), the library could be shuffled simply by enabling the shuffle button and pressing play. But with iTunes 11 I can't find a shuffle button unless an album is playing.

How do I get around this?

Thanks.

mozz2020

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2009
UK
You need to select 'Songs' as your source (along the top middle). Then playing will allow you to choose shuffle on/off (next to the time remaining bar).

Hope that makes sense...

quaffa

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2011
Manchester, UK
Yeah, but be aware that you can now only shuffle play in iTunes itself. Shuffling a library, or a playlist no longer sticks when syncing to an iPod.

So you can no longer sync a shuffled playlist to an iPod in iTunes 11. Retrograde step indeed...

BlazednSleepy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
Heres a way.

When nothing is selected or playing, simply press play and then the shuffle button in the song view. It will shuffle from there. I'm not too fond of it to be honest because sometimes I would be listening to a whole album and then want to shuffle my music from there. It doesn't seem to be that easy anymore.

And for playlists you now need to right click and select shuffle said playlist.

Not seamless nor intuitive on apples part. Hopefully it's better integrated in the next update.

ItWasNotMe

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2012
Changed behaviour as well

Seems to me that this has been completely changed, in prior versions it was possible to set shuffle attribute by playlist. So, for example, set shuffle on for 'My Top Rated' and off for albums. Now setting it on/off seems to be global so if set on for 'My Top Rated' then its on for all my albums as well

quaffa

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2011
Manchester, UK
Seems to me that this has been completely changed, in prior versions it was possible to set shuffle attribute by playlist. So, for example, set shuffle on for 'My Top Rated' and off for albums. Now setting it on/off seems to be global so if set on for 'My Top Rated' then its on for all my albums as well

I hadn't realised that.

It seems to me that they've made a complete dog's breakfast of this iTunes 11 update. I would revert back to 10.7 at the drop of a hat if I could, but they've managed to make that pretty well impossible as well.

And here was me thinking Apple made sensible stuff...

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK

I noticed that after I figured out what my problem thread was about. What the hell? I want my shuffle to be playlist specific again. Why the hell would I want to apply it globally? So we waited an extra month for this?

ItWasNotMe

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2012
When there are no
- Release Notes
- Documentation
- Meaningful Help

Its not a bug - "Thats just the way it is":mad:

Neverywhere

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2012
They have ruined it...a week ago this was my favorite music player....just eter shuffle and the program would roam through my 1600 cd's ...no fuss , no hassle... just perfect.

Well, not anymore....shuffle play seems not to be working at all....yes it will shuffle the songs of one album...tsssss

And also something wich i find even more bizar than the shuffle function: they removed the Coverflow..idiots!

And in the old days (one week ago!) if you played a song from an album and wanted to move on...it did just that...not any more; want to hear another album? Bad luck , the program will bring you back to the top of the list....albums with an A (Abba etc..) can be played in to the ground,but if you would like zz top...That will take some scrolling my friends...o, i hear you say; just type zz top in the search field....yes once again,in the old days it would just jump to that record ....not anymore....

I am not a happy man!

JAYMAAN

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
I have a playlist which consists of regular songs and podcasts. Turning on shuffle will only shuffle through regular songs, podcasts will never be played.
This can be verified by checking the Up Next list, which is even empty when only podcasts are in the playlist and shuffle is on. Why??

mattg3

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2010
ma.
Okay so im confused.I have not upgraded yet and need to know if you can no longer hit random(or shuffle)and itunes will play your whole itunes library in random order from different cds?If this is the case its a deal breaker for me.I love not knowing which of my 24G library will play next and let it go like this for hours.Does it also allow random play of playlists?

speed773

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2012
Answer

I was able to get a shuffled playlist, I have a PC, but it must be the same for Mac.

Step 1 - create a new smart playlist
Step 2 - Select filter "playlist" "is" "(Select one of your playlist)"
Step 3 - Check "Limit to" "(Input # of songs on the playlist you selected)"
Step 4 - Select ok
The playlist will be in alphabetical order
Step 5 - Select a song on the new smart playlist
Step 6 - Hit the shuffle button on the top
Step 7 - Hit the top bar on the far left column of the playlist

The playlist should be displayed shuffled

or
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1503740/

brydawg

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2012
Check your 'Up Next' list

After pulling lots of hair out and reading this forum, I didn't think iTunes 11 could shuffle the entire song database (when you simply select 'songs')....but I see what I was doing wrong...maybe you're in the same boat?

I noticed that if I'm using the 'Up Next' feature, then the shuffle button disappears! As soon as I clear the the 'Up Next' list, the shuffle button returns to the right of the time (the time 'remaining' at the top on the right). If you see the three little lines to the right are lit up blue, then you have 'up next' activated. Click on the blue lines, hit clear and shuffle should return!!

This solved my problems....hopefully it will solve yours as well.

jesseluke

macrumors newbie
WTF!!!! Apple

I want to shuffle and see the songs in the order they are shuffled. why has this been taken away. what's the point?

----------

I have a 4,000 songs in a particular playlist. I shuffle them. I want to place only the first 1,000 of this newly shuffled play list on my iPod, since that's all that fits.

I use to be able to do this. why can I not do this?

or - how do I do this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.