Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sixxmum

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2010
Using and still liking iFaraday RXII for a while. The only catch is no way to keep it with me. The clip on the cap was plastic and snapped off. I just need to find a pen cap that matches.

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I picked up a TrueGlide (in white) a few months ago. Works incredible well, tracks great (actually tracks in near real time on the iPad4 vs. the iPad3 [that had a decent amount of lag] in Notability).

The tip design (kind of a "soft" steel wool looking material) should last for quite a long time vs. the rubber type tips that I understand wear out quickly.

I got the full sized, but they make a 1/2 sized version with a tether that connects to your headphone jack.

The only negative is the weight, it's basically a hollow aluminum tube, I think with a little more heft it would feel perfect in your hand (though it's still very good).

Last edited:

robdam1001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
I just moved on from the Adonit Jot Pro to the Applydea Maglus. Loving the Maglus so far. What I didn't like about the Jot Pro was it was TOO LOUD! The Maglus feels solid and inks flawlessly. Love that it's magnetic like the Jot Pro is.

http://the-maglus.myshopify.com/

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
I just moved on from the Adonit Jot Pro to the Applydea Maglus. Loving the Maglus so far. What I didn't like about the Jot Pro was it was TOO LOUD! The Maglus feels solid and inks flawlessly. Love that it's magnetic like the Jot Pro is.

I read that Adonit came out with a new version of the Jot Pro that's suppose to be quieter.

Does the Maglus write just as good as the Jot Pro?

I've been looking in stores for the Jot Pro so I can try it out, no luck so far.

robdam1001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
I read that Adonit came out with a new version of the Jot Pro that's suppose to be quieter.

Does the Maglus write just as good as the Jot Pro?

I've been looking in stores for the Jot Pro so I can try it out, no luck so far.

As good as the Jot Pro, yes. Love it. Looks and feels great. I wish it included a protective cap like the JP has.

maniacphoner

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
The Verge did a HUGE writeup of the top stylus for iPad. There is nothing you could want to know after reading the whole thing and watching the videos. Excellent breakdown of pros/cons. Hope it helps.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/10/2925937/best-stylus-ipad-review

That link you provided is totally helpful! My dad has been nagging me (or should I say, hinting that he needs one for his iPad), and I have been mostly watching the video reviews for a limited selection of stylus pens.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
It has very "pen like" feel to it; very solid....not rubbery like your typical stylus. It's difficult to describe.

I'm looking for that type of stylus, and a perfect note taking app. I'd like to be able to take business notes on the iPad and not paper.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007

I completely disagree. You have to press hard, its does not glide smoothly and its weighty. Might be ok for painting but for not taking notes.

BTW Maglus does not attach well to iPad Mini's due to the placement of the magnes.

Also, I see nothing in this thread that I would consider a great stylus. I want a stylus as sensitive and my finger. Even the mesh tipped ones need some degree of pressure.

Why is there no stylus like a finger in sensitivity but with a smaller head for easy writing and fine lining.

I dont want to have to apply any more pressure than it takes to write my name on a piece of paper with a pen.

robdam1001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
I completely disagree. You have to press hard, its does not glide smoothly and its weighty. Might be ok for painting but for not taking notes.

BTW Maglus does not attach well to iPad Mini's due to the placement of the magnes.

Also, I see nothing in this thread that I would consider a great stylus. I want a stylus as sensitive and my finger. Even the mesh tipped ones need some degree of pressure.

Why is there no stylus like a finger in sensitivity but with a smaller head for easy writing and fine lining.

I dont want to have to apply any more pressure than it takes to write my name on a piece of paper with a pen.

To each his own; I for one, am loving the Maglus. It attaches without effort to the ipad and inks just as effortlessly. Best Stylus I've used and I've tried ~ 10 of them.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
I don't mean to double post, but my mother in law bought my the Jot Pro and it came in today. I'm not suppose to have it until Christmas, but I begged the wife to let me try it out.

I tested it on her iPad 3 with Bamboo, and it i s amazing. It is so dead on accurate, and looks as if I am actually writing on paper. It is NOT loud what so ever, sounds as if I'm writing on actual paper if anything at all.

It feels just like a pen, I'm downloading more apps to test it out, but like I stated it works awesome with Bamboo, I can even have the corner of my palm (bone) resting on the screen and still be able to write. So in my eyes it does have palm-rejection.

This thing is going to be awesome for when I need it, definitely a good buy to have! My wife played with it and was having a blast, she wants one now.

joekim1026

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2011
I have had the Bamboo Stylus, the Maglus Stylus, the GoSmart Stylus, and several other big name styli but my favorite is the Titanium Stylus w/pen that I got from Kickstarter.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/klinkokids/solid-titanium-pen-stylus?ref=live

It works perfectly with my iPad even with the Spigen Ultra Optics Screen Shield. There is no lag! I highly recommend this one! I like it even more because it has a pen! It also uses refills from may other different types of pens.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Guess I'm reading too many of these topics...
Received my Maglus today, first impressions:

- holding the stylus was an immediate OK, I mean the somewhat odd shape was not at all a problem for me.
- coming from the Bamboo, the Maglus tip is "a lot" bigger. I really do find it harder to see what I'm doing while writing or even sketching.
- quite some strokes aren't recorded, looks like I have to press harder than I expected from seeing the reviews.

Resume: when I took up the Bamboo, I simply started using it - period. This time, with the Maglus, I will definitely need some time to get used to the handling. Not a bad thing, but still... oh well - I will persevere ;-)

Saxify2013

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2013
Avoid Maglus

My problem with Maglus & customer support: there is NO customer support, and they are NOT good to deal with. Buy a different product -they DO NOT guarantee their product, and they do NOT stand behind it.

Hello, I purchased my stylus last fall. It is great, except that the rubber grips on the sides are now sliding around, and the edges have become sticky. I would like to have the problem fixed.
This message was sent to xxxx in reference to Case #: 1089.

Their response:

KW
Subject: Problems with Stylus grip
FEB 03, 2013 | 10:12PM UTC
Ross Burke replied:
Hi there.
If you send the stylus to us here in Ireland we can repair it and send it back to you. However, considering the time and shipping costs involved, I suggest that you use superglue to fix the problem at far less effort and expense.
Kind regards,
Ross
JAN 31, 2013 | 03:10PM

I tried your suggestion. Superglue needs two surfaces in total contact. Your system has the rubber grip larger than the indented area, and obviously relied on the glue to fill the void. Superglue does not work that way.

This, to me, reflects poorly on your product. I paid a lot of money for what is quickly proving to be a substandard product. It should certainly last more than 6 months.

Your excuse that it is too costly to return and repair is unacceptable. Your product has not held up. Replacement, if not repair, at your expense, would be the accepted and proper response.

I am not impressed, and will make my views known.

K
3Feb2013

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
This reflects my experience. Bought it, and hated it (frankly i dint know how anyone likes it).

Emailed for a return, no answer after a week. Emailed again and they suggested I send to Ireland. I said no way when they had a warehouse in PA where my unit shipped from.

Btw they charged me overseas shipping when it came from PA.

Eventually they agreed to a refund to the US address after prodding from Paypal.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Arrrggg so what does this leaves us with now, the Bamboo one as one of the better stylus out there?

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013
I have (had) two Magluses (V1 and V2) and two Bamboo styluses, been moving between them but keep coming back to the Maglus. A couple of people with weird ideas of what a company owes them won't change that for me.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
My Bamboo is my favorite for drawing, my Maglus for writing.
If I were to choose a third one, I'd consider the Hand stylus.

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013
If I were to choose a third one, I'd consider the Hand stylus.

Looked up that stylus, looks interesting. However, the contact email on the site bounces back, the Kickstarter is full of annoyed customer who can't get in touch with the guy, the Hand Stylus twitter has been dead since august, and I can't find any other way to contact the guy. Some tweets mention having met the guy at MacWorld which is going on now, so it's very peculiar.

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
I have (had) two Magluses (V1 and V2) and two Bamboo styluses, been moving between them but keep coming back to the Maglus. A couple of people with weird ideas of what a company owes them won't change that for me.

Yep. I love the Maglus. No problems at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.