Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rory Manton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 13, 2005
Yeovil Somerset
I read these pages quite a lot and one day hope to b e able to give something back to the site for all the help its given me but as I am a bit of a technical Luddite probably not for a while yet.

Some of the things I'v noticed is that there seams to be a lot of problems with the iphone, people saying mines done this, it's done that, HELP ME. When I read these things I start to wonder about my phone and what I am doing wrong because I never seam to have the amount of issues posted on here and I'm not that bothered about dings ,scuffs or marks on the tool I use. This is not to say I don't care for it but it is, after all, a tool.

I have come to a couple of conclusions,

1, If I was to get all the problems posted here on my phone, then I would get rid of the thing. This is unlikely as just look at the small amount of problems posted compared to the vast amount of users.

and

2, To try and get some of the problems posted I would have to, firstly, utilise the phone to its fullest potential instead of just using it for making phone calls and texts plus a bit of looking at the interwebmabobthingy and secondly upload/download whatever it is ,more things on to it to make the possibility of things going wrong more likely!

I must say that I am NOT having a pop at the great and the good who have helped me with my apple stuff just posting a few silly little observations.

Now, if you excuse me i'v got some tin cans and string that need my attention.:D

Do have a good day now.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Must be really nice to not have any problems with your iPhone.

Well, the reason why you see numerous threads with people stating their problem is because they genuinely need help with their device. That being said, people who have iPhones without problems will not come to the forums & proclaim that, because there's no point in doing so.

Cheers.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Well, the reason why you see numerous threads with people stating their problem is because they genuinely need help with their device. That being said, people who have iPhones without problems will not come to the forums & proclaim that, because there's no point in doing so.

Cheers.

Agreed.

Thread title: The iPhone x will fail
angry-mob.png

Thread title: My iPhone is flawless
dv-tumbleweed-1-big.jpg

Rory Manton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 13, 2005
Yeovil Somerset
But the amount of problems posted is minuscule compared to the amount of users. One of the points I was trying ( very badly) to make is that most things problems I see are due to people utilising the phone to its fullest unlike me who just uses it for making calls ,texts and surfing.:D

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
But the amount of problems posted is minuscule compared to the amount of users. One of the points I was trying ( very badly) to make is that most things problems I see are due to people utilising the phone to its fullest unlike me who just uses it for making calls ,texts and surfing.:D

FYI, there are people who didn't even get to use their phone & it already had problems RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX. A perfect example is the infamous scuff-gate issue, countless reports of new iPhone 5 having scratches right after taking out of the box despite the owners not even touching it.

Rory Manton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 13, 2005
Yeovil Somerset
FYI, there are people who didn't even get to use their phone & it already had problems RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX. A perfect example is the infamous scuff-gate issue, countless reports of new iPhone 5 having scratches right after taking out of the box despite the owners not even touching it.

I know, but how many is it compared to those without problems?:D

Rory Manton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 13, 2005
Yeovil Somerset
Just to let you know that problems do not necessarily arise because people "use their phones to the full potential" like you claim.

Beeplance, I KNOW , this was meant to be a light hearted dig at the way I use my phone ie NOT to its full potential.

Dings, scuffs and scratches are not acceptable on a new item but hardly worth a "scuffgate" ( did I get that right?) tabloid headline.

I'v been waiting for my new I5 for over 6 weeks now, I have seen the van that had it on outside my house but it was taken away again because my supplier cocked up my address, TWICE, but its hardly a problem just an inconvenience.

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
very smart and insightful, only the one thing i can do think of is that one time you wont have the thing you dont know what to say or do and then apple wont give nothing unless you dont know how to have the super potential of such a device without observation and without doing the one thing we all know what to do is without everything else and within nothing except enjoying devices and then you know exactly what you mean

Rory Manton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 13, 2005
Yeovil Somerset
very smart and insightful, only the one thing i can do think of is that one time you wont have the thing you dont know what to say or do and then apple wont give nothing unless you dont know how to have the super potential of such a device without observation and without doing the one thing we all know what to do is without everything else and within nothing except enjoying devices and then you know exactly what you mean

Err, yes?:D

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2011
Portugal
Personally I never had any issues with any of my iPhones, and I had the iPhone since the 3GS. Ordered my iPhone 5 one week ago and getting anxious. So on my behalf, I think the iPhone is a very good smartphone with a lot to offer and no headaches.

anvikapur

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2012
I read these pages quite a lot and one day hope to b e able to give something back to the site for all the help its given me but as I am a bit of a technical Luddite probably not for a while yet.

Some of the things I'v noticed is that there seams to be a lot of problems with the iphone, people saying mines done this, it's done that, HELP ME. When I read these things I start to wonder about my phone and what I am doing wrong because I never seam to have the amount of issues posted on here and I'm not that bothered about dings ,scuffs or marks on the tool I use. This is not to say I don't care for it but it is, after all, a tool.

1, If I was to get all the problems posted here on my phone, then I would get rid of the thing. This is unlikely as just look at the small amount of problems posted compared to the vast amount of users.

and

2, To try and get some of the problems posted I would have to, firstly, utilise the phone to its fullest potential instead of just using it for making phone calls and texts plus a bit of looking at the interwebmabobthingy and secondly upload/download whatever it is ,more things on to it to make the possibility of things going wrong more likely!

I must say that I am NOT having a pop at the great and the good who have helped me with my apple stuff just posting a few silly little observations.

Now, if you excuse me i'v got some tin cans and string that need my attention.:D

Do have a good day now.
what a keen observation i must say

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007

And here we have a perfect example of the internet overstating a problem.

Was there an issue with some (note SOME) iPhone's having cosmetic issues? Yes, absolutely. Did this affect users? Yes. Was it 'infamous'? No, not at all.

In reality it was a small-scale issue seemingly affecting a number of units in certain batches. Considering the hype died down pretty damn quickly it seems safe to assume that, while individual units may still have issues, whatever manufacturing problems there were have now been largely sorted out. Apple immediately replaced all affected units and that was that. Except, of course, that story brings all the fanboys on every side rushing out so websites overplay it looking for hits, forums exploded into the equivalent of 'my dad's better than yours', everyone with a scuff starts their own thread despite there being a clear and obvious existing one... heck even this very site linked to a video of someone vandalizing a store iPhone with a set of keys to 'prove' it wasn't durable. Frankly it's pathetic and gets in the way of any kind of rational debate.

On a related topic, is anyone else utterly sick and tired of EVERY problem in the geek world being termed whatever-gate? Come on folks, we're meant to be a fairly creative bunch, surely we can come up with something better?

hifromtomorrow

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2012
Brisbane, Australia

It's just common sense.

John Adams

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2012
Fort Worth, TX USA
No problem with my I5 at all. It works just like it's supposed to and I really like it. There are definitely some features I miss about my Android but overall the iPhone suits me fine.

hotsauce

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005

and

Do have a good day now.

It's like visiting the hospital and asking why everyone has something wrong with them while you have perfect health. You should look at this place as a hospice for iPhone owners.

JerseyDoug

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012
Basic rule of the Internet is that human nature is to post problems on a forum. Rarely do folks come on a forum to say how great something is. Therefore, forums are skewed towards problems making it appear every has a problem. They don't.

Rory Manton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 13, 2005
Yeovil Somerset
Now I feel totally left out!

Somebody has posted that he has a rattle on his phone and that the man in the apple shop said they all have it, something to do with the camera.

Well mine hasn't and I am angry. I want this feature.

Even after I dropkicked it down the corridor at work it still doesn't rattle. This is an outrage!!!:D

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area

Before reading the above, please drop acid.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Now I feel totally left out!

Somebody has posted that he has a rattle on his phone and that the man in the apple shop said they all have it, something to do with the camera.

Well mine hasn't and I am angry. I want this feature.

Even after I dropkicked it down the corridor at work it still doesn't rattle. This is an outrage!!!:D

U have the rattle. It's the camera lens mechanics. They ALL rattle. Tap right around the camera and you will hear it. It's pretty slight, but it's there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.