Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abecedario

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2012
I'm not sure why you're so worried about scratches. Did you buy your iPad to use or just put on display like some kind of artifact?

I've never used a case or skin on any of my Macs, iPods, iPhones or iPads. Yes Aluminum can scratch and scuff. It is used because it is fairly light, inexpensive and easy to work with. Other materials may be more resistant to marking, but they have other trade offs.
Please help me find a case for my fridge, I can't find one. It's weird because there are thousands for iphones, why wouldn't they make one for fridges if esthetic is equally important in both things?

tmarks11

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
Well, if aluminium is such a scratchable material, why use it for this?
Because it is lightweight (compared to stainless steel), relatively cheap (vs titanium), and easy to machine (especially compared to titanium).

So it comes down to: would you be willing to either have a mini at double the weight (stainless steel), double the cost (titanium), or cheaply made (plastic... er excuse me, "polycarbonate", which, I am sorry to disillusion any samsung galaxy fans out there, is plastic).

So we end up with aluminum.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Please help me find a case for my fridge, I can't find one. It's weird because there are thousands for iphones, why wouldn't they make one for fridges if esthetic is equally important in both things?

I guess this explains everything. You appear to be unreasonable. If this is how you approach logical arguments, you're going to be disappointed. If your expectations about technology are unreasonable, you'll also be disappointed.

If, for example, Apple decided to go with a more scratch resistant metal, they may choose tungsten. Tungsten has about 7 times the density of Aluminum and is probably the hardest non-alloy out there. This means that the metal parts of whatever devices they used this in would be about 7 times heavier. Oh, and tungsten is brittle too, it'll fracture if it is hit with enough force. There are other options out there, but cost vs durability has to be weighed, and in this situation, Aluminum was deemed to be the best solution. So, if scratches are a problem, get a case.

I guess what I'm not understanding is why scratches on your iPad are a big deal. If we go with the refrigerator example, it probably cost more than an iPad(if its aluminum), so you'd think you would want to avoid scratches on that. For me, the iPad is just a tool for entertainment, and the 'fridge is just a tool to keep the beer cold. If they still function after a ding or a scratch, it doesn't bother me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.