Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guitarmandp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
I know this couple and they both have these old school flip phones that look like the phones that I used 8 years ago and they carry around iPad 3's and they pay for the data plan and they use their phones for calls and use the iPad 3 for everything else.

I'm curious if anybody does this with an iPad mini. I thought these people were nuts for carrying around their iPad's everywhere but now that I can fit my iPad mini in my jacket pocket it's actually not a bad way to go. You can use your iPad mini for text messaging with the Google Voice app.

Right now everywhere I go I take out my iPad mini and use my iPhone 4S as a mobile hotspot. It actually wouldn't be the worst idea to get a data plan on my mini and just get one of those flip phones. I barely use my iPhone 4S anymore except as a wifi connection.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
My family has been using prepaid cell phones for calls, and the iPad or iPod Touch for texting for a couple of years now. Works out fine and we can spend our $$$ on things more fun than data plans. I spend about $20 on the prepaid cell every three months and never use all my minutes, which roll over.

We've been using TextNow for texting - the developers recently updated that app claiming you can now use it to make phone calls. Free. Haven't updated the app yet, so don't know how well (or fast) it works.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
Im one of that. With a cellular mini and a dumb phone, i always leave my charger at home and never worried about the battery life anymore.

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
I use my devices in a similar way. I have a dumb flip-phone which I only use for phone calls (of which I hardly ever use any more). For apps, texting, internet browsing, the Mini is the perfect size for travel. Funny...the "phone" function on an iPhone is the least used function for me.:eek:

blackNBUK

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2010
UK
Maybe I'm not a good person to answer this question because fortunately work pays for my iPhone but even if I had to pay for it myself I don't think I would want to give it up. Having a little computer always with me is just too useful and while the iPad mini is a lot more portable than an iPad it's still way too big to be always with me.

Arcade

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Bronx, NY
I use to carry my regular phone and my ipad 3 in a ipad bag. I decided to combine the 2 and got my self an iphone 4.

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
One question I have is if there is ANY way to have a pre-paid plan for calling only (maybe texting as well) on an iPhone. I have searched through the forums but all the info on this subject confuses me. I have a 4s under contract with ATT until next December, but after that time is there any way for me to convert it to pre-paid, either with AT&T or unlocking it and going with another carrier. By doing this, one could use their iPhone as a sorta smartphone and use an iPad or iPad mini with a data plan for "everything else", saving a lot of money in the process.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
One question I have is if there is ANY way to have a pre-paid plan for calling only (maybe texting as well) on an iPhone. I have searched through the forums but all the info on this subject confuses me. I have a 4s under contract with ATT until next December, but after that time is there any way for me to convert it to pre-paid, either with AT&T or unlocking it and going with another carrier. By doing this, one could use their iPhone as a sorta smartphone and use an iPad or iPad mini with a data plan for "everything else", saving a lot of money in the process.

Sounds like T-mobile doesn't force a data plan. Just make sure to get your 4S unlocked before leaving AT&T. That may change next year when T-mo officially offers iPhones, but if they're hungry enough for customers, maybe they won't get too greedy. From some of the hints in their recent announcements it sounds as though they might offer some innovative plans compared to the Big 3.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1372843/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.