Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhiladelphiaX

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
I was wondering if T-Mobile supports 3G on the iPhone 4S. This would include:

their 1700 MHz UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+ (3G/4G) and their 1900 MHz UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+ (3G/4G)

NOT their 1900 MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE (2G)

In other words, if I get an unlocked iPhone 4S for T-Mobile, will I be able to get access to a 3G network or do all iPhone 4S' have to use their 2G EDGE - assuming I live in a big metro area where I'm most likely to have good service?

What about an unlocked iPhone 5? Would that be able to access 3G or would that also be limited to only 2G EDGE (until they finish rolling out their 4GLTE)?

PhiladelphiaX

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
If you're in a refarmed 3G area you will get 3G with every iPhone model besides the original 2G iPhone.
But those places in the US are still limited as they expand their coverage.

How can I know for sure that I have 3G in my area? On my mom's phone, it shows a 3G in the upper left hand corner of her phone - full bars, too.

But she doesn't own an iPhone -- even though she doesn't have an iPhone, does this verify that I'll get 3G coverage on my iPhone in my area or is it phone specific?

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
How can I know for sure that I have 3G in my area?

http://www.airportal.de/

But she doesn't own an iPhone -- even though she doesn't have an iPhone, does this verify that I'll get 3G coverage on my iPhone in my area or is it phone specific?

Your mom's phone has 3G on the a band that is not compatible with the iPhone. Sooooo.... they're "refarming" the network to put 3G on a band that the iPhone can support. So no, what you're asking isn't the same. You'll have to check your area with that link.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
Yup. Even older models of iPhone work on T-Mobile's 3G (except the 1st gen iPhone of course). But they don't get the HSPA+ speed. Still beats EDGE! :)

PhiladelphiaX

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
I'm still teetering on the decision of getting an iPhone 5. The LTE speeds are the only thing that entice me, though. I'm not a big fan of the design, the lightness, or the thinness of the phone. I also heard it scratches easily because of it's anodized coat.

Are speeds dramatically noticeable between LTE and 3G? The phone would be used for basic talk, text, facetime, email, web browsing, and use of application - I'd more than likely not be watching any long movies on my phone, probably not streaming either (unless I can get an unlimited data plan on TMO).

The only problem is, I'm not even sure of how promising T-Mobile's 4G LTE speeds will be. Are there any videos demonstrating their 4G LTE speeds in the very few markets they've rolled out the network in?

araje

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2012
Isn't there a discussion that they will go LTE next year in the refarmed area?

I see going between 3G and E in Phoenix so I am sure help is on its way :)

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
T-mobile does not have LTE in any markets yet. They won't have any cities with LTE until Spring 2013 at the earliest.

Their hspa+ 4G is fast in the few areas that have been refarmed for iPhone supported bands. Check the links other users posted above to see if your area is done yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

PhiladelphiaX

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
T-mobile does not have LTE in any markets yet. They won't have any cities with LTE until Spring 2013 at the earliest.

Their hspa+ 4G is fast in the few areas that have been refarmed for iPhone supported bands. Check the links other users posted above to see if your area is done yet.

is the iPhone 4S compatible with 4G HSPA+ ?

Last edited by a moderator:

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I'm still teetering on the decision of getting an iPhone 5. The LTE speeds are the only thing that entice me, though. I'm not a big fan of the design, the lightness, or the thinness of the phone. I also heard it scratches easily because of it's anodized coat.

Are speeds dramatically noticeable between LTE and 3G? The phone would be used for basic talk, text, facetime, email, web browsing, and use of application - I'd more than likely not be watching any long movies on my phone, probably not streaming either (unless I can get an unlimited data plan on TMO).

The only problem is, I'm not even sure of how promising T-Mobile's 4G LTE speeds will be. Are there any videos demonstrating their 4G LTE speeds in the very few markets they've rolled out the network in?

Lte is certainly faster but.... It depends what youll be doing. Downloading emails? Not a big difference. Streaming video? Then yes.

PhiladelphiaX

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
It's compatible (in "refarmed" areas), but not supported by Apple.

What do you mean "not supported by Apple"?

Yes. The speeds on T-Mobile's HSPA+ network at quite good from what I understand...

How do if I know if my area has the HSPA+?

This map shows my area as having "excellent" coverage but the dark green is labeled as 3G/4G, so I'm not sure which I'd get in my area.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
There is a whole thread about what areas T-mobile supports 3G on, it was on the front page this morning when I checked, prob takes a 2 second search to find it but that would have answered your question better.

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
What do you mean "not supported by Apple"?

How do if I know if my area has the HSPA+?

This map shows my area as having "excellent" coverage but the dark green is labeled as 3G/4G, so I'm not sure which I'd get in my area.

The T-Mobile coverage map shows data strength for phones that use their 1700mhz band. This doesn't apply to the iPhone. You can use their maps to get an idea how your voice coverage will be though.

Unofficial map of areas that get 3G here: http://www.airportal.de

Latest official announcement from T-Mobile: 23 total Markets Live

Boston, LA, Philly, NY, San Diego still in progress being worked on.

http://www.tmonews.com/2012/12/t-mobile-announces-five-new-modernized-markets-brings-total-to-23/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.