Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jabalczar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
Ordered my 11-inch Air from Apple last Thursday (6th Dec) direct from Apple, after having a 13-inch. As I had the RAM upgraded to 8 GB I had to order online (based in the UK). The shipping times are one of my only complaints about Apple's otherwise excellent customer service.

1.) You would think that now RAM is not user upgradeable across most of Apple's range, and that in most cases there are only two choices for RAM (e.g. 4 or 8; or 8 / 16 with the 15-inch Retina Pro), that the Apple stores would stock machines with both options for pick up, but they don't.

2.) Given that that don't, perhaps Apple would keep a supply in the country for shipping at a warehouse seeing as the RAM upgrade is one of the most popular upgrades for many, but they don't.

3.) As the upgraded machines are then built to order in China you'd think with today's logistics, and that they use UPS, that they could arrange delivery in 48 or 72 hours.

Instead, I have to wait 11 days for a base model 11-inch Air upgraded to 8 GB. This isn't due to demand like with the iPad or iPhone, as the machine is no longer new, and it shipped from the factory within 36 hours of the order. It's just logistics.

As I had to sell my other Mac to fund this, it also means I'm 11 days without a computer, which I do need for my work. It's not a case of just being impatient.

This is one area Apple could improve on!

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
I would gladly pay $200 more than the base model price for the 8 GB of RAM upgrade if Apple had those configurations IN STORE. So frustrating having to play the delivery game and potentially shipping things back and forth if there's a problem.

MacPat333

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
Dubai
I ordered my 13" MBA with 8GB RAM on 05.12. and it was delivered with DHL Express on 11.12. from China to Dubai.

Waiting is horrible, but before I ordered on a store (not Apple) and after 3,5 weeks they told me they would need at least another 2 weeks. That's when I canceled my order with the store and ordered through Apple.

Beanoir

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2010
51 degrees North
Ordered my 11-inch Air from Apple last Thursday (6th Dec) direct from Apple, after having a 13-inch. As I had the RAM upgraded to 8 GB I had to order online (based in the UK). The shipping times are one of my only complaints about Apple's otherwise excellent customer service.

1.) You would think that now RAM is not user upgradeable across most of Apple's range, and that in most cases there are only two choices for RAM (e.g. 4 or 8; or 8 / 16 with the 15-inch Retina Pro), that the Apple stores would stock machines with both options for pick up, but they don't.

2.) Given that that don't, perhaps Apple would keep a supply in the country for shipping at a warehouse seeing as the RAM upgrade is one of the most popular upgrades for many, but they don't.

3.) As the upgraded machines are then built to order in China you'd think with today's logistics, and that they use UPS, that they could arrange delivery in 48 or 72 hours.

Instead, I have to wait 11 days for a base model 11-inch Air upgraded to 8 GB. This isn't due to demand like with the iPad or iPhone, as the machine is no longer new, and it shipped from the factory within 36 hours of the order. It's just logistics.

As I had to sell my other Mac to fund this, it also means I'm 11 days without a computer, which I do need for my work. It's not a case of just being impatient.

This is one area Apple could improve on!

I sympathise, but there's nothing any of us can do about it here.

Why don't you write to Apple about it...?

jabalczar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
First world problems.

No. Read the message before you troll with retarded answers.

It's called a job. 11 days of shipping means lost freelance time. For better or worst many of use computers to support our families, which I don't think is just a first world problem.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009

It's called a job. 11 days of shipping means lost freelance time. For better or worst many of use computers to support our families, which I don't think is just a first world problem.

I did read your post and it is still a first world problem. No need to get in a hissy fit and get your undies all tied up.

You knew the length of time it would take to get to you when your ordered it. If it was too long you didn't need to order. If anything you knew days/weeks in advance how long it would take as you spent time on apple's website.

It is what it is. You can go complain to apple but they can't stock each and every model option. Not feasible. Just as you wish 8GB was stocked at the store someone would wish the i7 was stocked and another the 512 SSD. And another wish they had the i7/8GB/512 SSD all stocked at the local store. Not possible.

If you needed it faster why not expedite shipping? You need it fast pay the extra.

If you can't do without a computer for work borrow one. Or better yet purchase the new one on credit card (which I assume you did on the online store) then sell your old one when the new one arrives. You won't make less on the sale over the 5-7 days you wait for the new computer.

No need to get upset. First world problems.

ScottJ

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2011
SoCal
While I share the OP's frustration about the wait time to receive the custom ordered 11" Macbook Air, the wait probably won't be the full 11 days. I ordered an upgraded 11" Macbook Air in the first part of November - at that time, Apple was quoting a 2-week delivery time (to the U.S.) I received an email from Apple less than a week later telling me that it was ready for pickup at my local Apple store.

Since the unit was being shipped to the Apple retail store, I had no way to track the progress of the unit. Are you able to track the shipping status of your unit?

Marv89

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2012
While I share the OP's frustration about the wait time to receive the custom ordered 11" Macbook Air, the wait probably won't be the full 11 days. I ordered an upgraded 11" Macbook Air in the first part of November - at that time, Apple was quoting a 2-week delivery time (to the U.S.) I received an email from Apple less than a week later telling me that it was ready for pickup at my local Apple store.

Since the unit was being shipped to the Apple retail store, I had no way to track the progress of the unit. Are you able to track the shipping status of your unit?

I had the same "problem", but 11 days is not that long actually. Just be happy that there is no Volcano spilling Lava and Dust in Iceland. Back then, people had to wait a month or so because there were no planes going from china to europe ;)

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Huh?

It's called a backup computer or ordering your replacement earlier (not always possible, I know).

Gorrfink

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
It really does make me smile when people use the term 'first world problem' as if it's some kind of thinly veiled insult.

On a forum talking about MBA's :confused:

There are better places to troll.

PraisiX-windows

macrumors regular
May 19, 2011
It really does make me smile when people use the term 'first world problem' as if it's some kind of thinly veiled insult.

I actually like the "first world problem" thingy especially when it's used at something as trivial as how horrible the waiting time is for receiving a luxury machine.
Sure it's a valid complaint that Apple's shipping times are less than ideal but that doesn't make it any less of a first world problem.

When it refers to me it makes me ease up a bit because I always imagine myself in some drought-ridden african village complaining about my problem in question and realising how much of a whiny bitch I actually am - so I stop being upset about it and appreciate how humorous it sort of is that I've just been so extremely unreasonable.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009

First world problem in that you have people complaining their computer isn't getting to them fast enough eventhough they knew a BTO would take longer. They knew that before they ordered it, when they ordered it and after. That is a first world problem when you have other people around the world worrying about their next meal, finding a job, having clean drinking water, religious persecution...etc. But the fact that you don't understand that is clear enough an answer for those of us reading.

Beanoir

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2010
51 degrees North

It really makes me smile when a newbie calls a long term member of a forum a "troll"

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
So apparently if you need a machine to work on, it's not a good idea to sell your only computer.
However I do agree with your points in the OP, Apple should be better organised.

Bowcaps

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2012
Cornwall, UK
I ordered a MBA 13" with 8GB and 512GB SSD earlier in the year and there was a very long delivery forecast, however it arrived [From China] within 5 days of ordering - a great surprise :)

HTH

Bowcaps

jjhoekstra

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2009

Oh I read the message several times because I could not stop laughing about it! It is soooo first world problem. There are several options if you do not want to wait and not want to be without a computer: pay by credit card and sell the 13" when the other one arrives, buy an in stock-model and accept it for what it is (a very able computer), do a bit of research to see whether one of the other dealers has a better model in stock, wait till the stock-model is 8Gb (in 6-12 months or, saves money as well). Instead of that OP chooses to complain. I live by the way from my computer, that's why I always have a backup computer on the ready. It is the iMac from my wife :)

jabalczar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
1. The computer arrived today 11 days after ordering.

2. I didn't know this before paying as some posters have indicated. Shipping was quoted at 1 - 3 days when ordering. The 11 days was quoted only after the order had been paid for and processed, then the tracking information uploaded, which was around 48 hours after paying for and placing my order. By which time any refund would have taken longer than waiting for a laptop.

3. There was no option to pay for quicker expedited shipping on the UK website for the order, otherwise I would have gladly done so.

4. By the definition of some of the posters, it should be legitimate to post 'first world problem' to just about every post on this forum, because everything involving a Macbook Air is a first world problem. And many of the postings (though not all) involved some type of problem or issue, even if not a complaint. Is this not lazy and trolling however long a person has been a member?

5. I have written to Apple about their shipping times.

6. I find it amusing when people quote to me about third world problems, when I've just returned from Egypt, from some of the poorest areas in the world, giving up my time working on real third world problems, which is part of the reason why this laptop was needed. I wonder how many of those who are preaching about third world problems have experienced them, much less helped in violent, poor, conflict areas at the risk of their own life and career -- hence the lack of a credit card limit (as one poster suggested) to cover a new laptop.

7. Compared to some of the popular posts on this forum (i.e. I got a LG screen rather than a Samsung screen), it's not whining to question Apple's shipping times on a £950 premium laptop, especially when Apple and Apple users rightly take pride in Apple's customer service, and especially when the true shipping times are not quoted at the point of ordering on the Apple UK website.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
2. I didn't know this before paying as some posters have indicated. Shipping was quoted at 1 - 3 days when ordering. The 11 days was quoted only after the order had been paid for and processed, then the tracking information uploaded, which was around 48 hours after paying for and placing my order. By which time any refund would have taken longer than waiting for a laptop.

Shipping is NOT quoted as 1-3 days. It is quoted as being "dispatched" or prepared for shipment in 1-3 days. Then you need to add to that the length of time to get from China to the UK. Apple did not say 1-3 day shipment.

Btw, what time estimated did apple give you in the bottom left corner when you ordered?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 161

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Yeah, it's a bitch

It's a bitch, no doubt. Another poster was correct in pointing out that the dispatch was basically the prepping to ship part, and the shipping wouldn't happen until after that.

Annoying and confusing. Regardless of the limited impact of the problem (and **** about first-world problems, because if you're active regularly online, I bet your entire life is filled only with first-world problems) Apple should do a better job either a) getting their products out or b) clearly communicating what's happening.

I've never had an Apple product arrive the day it was predicted, it's always been early. Perhaps my gain is others' loss.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
Annoying and confusing. Regardless of the limited impact of the problem (and **** about first-world problems, because if you're active regularly online, I bet your entire life is filled only with first-world problems) Apple should do a better job either a) getting their products out or b) clearly communicating what's happening.

First world problems is "forum talk" and "slang" for something (frustration, complaint) so petty and insignificant that it is asinine when you put it in context of what some in this world have to deal with. It does not deal with the fact that we can't enjoy our electronics and toys. But some of the complaining really boils down to first world problems as they are laughable at best. Even I roll my eyes at some of these complaints.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=First+World+Problems

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/first_world_problem

jabalczar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
Perhaps I misunderstood or misread the the dispatch time versus the shipping time. I honestly don't remember when they said the item would arrive, beyond seeing the 1 - 3 day time, and then receiving a UPS notification 36 hours saying my item was being picked up from the factory.

(What is certain) Given that I ordered on 6th Dec, the item left the factory on the 8th Dec, it still took 9 days to get from China to the UK. Call it bitching, whining, complaining, whatever you will, I still maintain that it's an aspect of Apple's customer care that could be improved on.

UPS ship China to the UK in 48 hours (if I act as a private customer). I think nine days is excessive. We crow about how excellent AppleCare / warranties / Genius bar are (and rightly so), the shipping is not so great.

I'm sure for many people if a product (from another company) took longer than expected then they would complain to that company.

[N.B. I have written directly to Apple - but I also know from prior experience that Apple read this forum, and go to some lengths to track down and contact posters or aren't happy in order to improve their customer service]

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
I'm sure for many people if a product (from another company) took longer than expected then they would complain to that company.

If you ordered today the MBA would arrive between Dec 28 and Jan 02. That is 9-12 business days. 1-3 of which will be used for packaging and getting ready to ship.

Ordering on Dec 06 and receiving today, you received your MBA in 7 business days. That is pretty damn good considering it spent 2 days being prepared for shipment.

Don't see how your product took longer than expected as you got it sooner than the 9-12 business days they probably quoted you at time of order. So I am confused what you are mad about and complaining over?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.