Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
News is already circulating of the iPad 5th generation, which I'm tempted to wait for. I for one love the colors of the iPhone 5 & iPad Mini, which is said to be on the iPad next year. Same price. There's always a bump in performance, as it will be on the iPad 6. I definitely want a 10" tablet; iPad mini is too small for me. I'm in college, would like something that's still very portable when I'm not around my desktop/laptop. iPad 4th generation the way to go or wait for 5?

TjeuV

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2011
Belgium
News is already circulating of the iPad 5th generation, which I'm tempted to wait for. I for one love the colors of the iPhone 5 & iPad Mini, which is said to be on the iPad next year. Same price. There's always a bump in performance, as it will be on the iPad 6. I definitely want a 10" tablet; iPad mini is too small for me. I'm in college, would like something that's still very portable when I'm not around my desktop/laptop. iPad 4th generation the way to go or wait for 5?

The 4th generation came very quickly. I'm thinking we don't have to expect the 5th generation any time soon so go for the current iPad.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Thought they were projecting it for next summer, or changing it to a 6-month cycle instead of 12 month.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Thought they were projecting it for next summer, or changing it to a 6-month cycle instead of 12 month.

With increased competition, no one really knows if Apple will release the 5th Gen iPad in March or April. Most of us thought Apple would release the 4th Gen iPad in Spring of 2013. ;)

It's possible to see the new iPad in Spring of next year. I definitely will buy one if the rumored new display is used and i'll buy a Mini as well if it gets the retina display.

bjm2660

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Virginia
The real question is whether to wait for the iPad 5 or wait even longer for the iPad 6...

You can spend your life waiting, or you can just get on with it. I recommend the latter.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
The real question is whether to wait for the iPad 5 or wait even longer for the iPad 6...

You can spend your life waiting, or you can just get on with it. I recommend the latter.

The rule of thumb is, "if you need it NOW" buy it now. If you can wait then do so if the improvements justify the purchase price. ;)

I bought the iPad 3 when they launched and couldn't justify buying the iPad 4. If the 5th gen iPad has enough changes to justify the purchase, i'll buy it. I hope they use the new rumored display.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010

That's actually a pretty stupid advice.

People always want to the newest and best. If a upgrade is coming out soon why wouldn't you want to get the upgrade?

The thing is we don't know what Apple will do next year as they seem to have changed their release schedule.

So if you NEED an iPad get it now, if not then wait for the 5th gen or at least when we get more info.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
The thing is, the new gen may not be in the next 6 months, what if they push it to the fall like the 4th gen was? I just don't know and neither does anyone else not inside of Apple!

If you can possibly not have one for potentially 10/11 months then wait, but believe me the current 4th gen is a beast! Plus, if you bought now you'd have all the next few months full of iPad goodness :)

spring

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2007
Bergen County, NJ
Buy one now, I did. Regardless if the 5th gen comes in the Spring/Summer/Fall, I intend to keep mine until a retina mini is released, which may be next year or the next.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Better resolution, maybe...
That's what they're calling for in the iPhoen 5S/6 anyways.

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
If you can wait till Fall 2013, then wait. But that's pretty much true of anything. Nothing wrong with the iPad 4 now.

frosse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Sweden
My 2 cents

The constant debate about the 6 vs 12 months cycle. I think that with increased competition we'll start seeing around 6 months cycles. I also believe that the iPad 4 was released to 1) Add lightning connector to unify the lineup and 2) the development of A6 was finished. I also believe that since Sharp's IGZO technology is due for production in Q4 2012 I think that we'll see an updated iPad in March 2013 with the same design as iPad Mini. The design technology is obviously already there so I think what they're waiting for in IGZO. We'll probably see A6X or something as well.

In summary and why I argue for a March 2013 release:

- Increased competition
- Sharp's IGZO display
- Hardware design from iPad Mini available

Regardless of how it turns out come March, I'll buy an iPad, be it a 4 or a 5. :)

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
As in a bigger screen? It would have to be a bigger screen... What's the point of increasing PPI beyond what is already beyond what the eye can see?

People have been brainwashed to think the eye can't see past 220 ppi. That's a lie. There are noticeable differences between that and the HTC/Samsung phones with higher ppi's in the 400 range.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
I don't see them releasing an iPad 5th gen anytime soon.. they literally just launched their iPad mini. This would really upset people. I mean, what could they possibly add to their 5th generation iPad that would entice people to ditch their older version iPads for the new one? I actually like the design language of the iPad - iPad 4 as opposed to the anodized iPad minis. The glass and aluminum is just more sleek and classy, IMO. Same goes for iPhones - big fan of 4/4S design, 5's design seems too tall, too thin, too easily scratched, and bends too easily. The only thing that has me looking at it is the LTE which some would argue is pretty insignificant unless you're a huge iPhone gamer or stream crazy amounts of data.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008

While that's generally true, the next iPad is likely going to be a gigantic leap compared to the prevus updates

IPad -> iPad 2 - Big leap. New shell, drastic NOTICEABLE speed improvement

IPad 2 -> iPad 3 - Small leap. Retina screen is amazing but thicker and no speed improvement

IPad 3 -> iPad 4 - Small leap. No new features. No A6X apps. Same old design

IPad 4 -> iPad 5 - Huge leap. (speculated). new design to match Apples current product line (bonded glass, thinner bezel, lighter shell). Improvements to screen. Stereo speakers. Additional hardware (NFC? GPS in wifi model?). An OS that actually deserves to be on Apples amazing hardware.

Peopl are strongly defending the iPad 4 now, but my bet is that when the iPad 5 comes out it will be obvious that both the iPad 3 and 4 are interim "filler" products that were simply biding time for Apple to "get it right". Apple is overdue for a revolutionary upgrade so I'm feeling that its going to be in Q2 or q3 rather than Q4 again.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
I don't see them releasing an iPad 5th gen anytime soon.. they literally just launched their iPad mini. This would really upset people. I mean, what could they possibly add to their 5th generation iPad that would entice people to ditch their older version iPads for the new one? I actually like the design language of the iPad - iPad 4 as opposed to the anodized iPad minis. The glass and aluminum is just more sleek and classy, IMO. Same goes for iPhones - big fan of 4/4S design, 5's design seems too tall, too thin, too easily scratched, and bends too easily. The only thing that has me looking at it is the LTE which some would argue is pretty insignificant unless you're a huge iPhone gamer or stream crazy amounts of data.

Really ?.....Apple did upset some with the early release of the ipad 4 just a few months after the ipad 3 was released, so Apple can release the ipad 5 sooner than what is expected a normal release time, and not care about peoples feelings.... ;)

bjm2660

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Virginia
IPad 4 -> iPad 5 - Huge leap. (speculated).

Operative word is "speculative."

I don't like to see people sit on their hands forever, putting off a potentially useful purchase because of what might be around the corner.

Few of us Apple users get every new generation of every major product lime; instead, we pick our battles.

If one doesn't currently have an iPad and wants/needs one for some purpose, I'd recommend just getting one.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
Really ?.....Apple did upset some with the early release of the ipad 4 just a few months after the ipad 3 was released, so Apple can release the ipad 5 sooner than what is expected a normal release time, and not care about peoples feelings.... ;)

Which is exactly the reason I don't see them shooting themselves in the foot again. Especially after the negative reactions they got, and the unexpected low sales from the new iPad 4 -- most people realize that tablets are not something that should be launched semi annually, or even annually. For phones it's debatable.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Which is exactly the reason I don't see them shooting themselves in the foot again. Especially after the negative reactions they got, and the unexpected low sales from the new iPad 4 -- most people realize that tablets are not something that should be launched semi annually, or even annually. For phones it's debatable.

Apple does, what Apple does. Don't under-estimate Apple doing this again. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.