Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skip02

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2007
I would suggest you get the iPhone 5. Especially if you live near a Walmart. They have the 16GB on sale for $127 which is an incredible deal.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
If you use cellular data often like 2GB a month and are in LTE area. Get the iPhone 5.

The camera 5 vs 4S isn't a hughe improvement. The 4S already has an excellent camera

Considering you are coming from a 3GS. You will notice a huge speed improvement from 3GS to 4S. Of course the 5 is even faster. But it's all relative.

In my opinion (in your case). It comes down to LTE data. Is it important to u?

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
I think it's a bad idea if you get it on contract. Don't lock yourself into a contract with a 4S when you can get the 5 and not worry about your phone slowing down on you.

EdwardC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2012
Georgia
I was in the same dilemma, I have a 3GS and recently bought my wife a 5 that being said I can't say that the 5 is worth the $$ for an upgrade, I have 3 iPads and who knows how many 30 pin old stile chargers and USB cables so I decided to go for the 4S. I will also admit I'm pretty cheap I only have 450 minutes and 200MB of data with the $ 10.00 text plan, I get 15% off as a firefighter from AT&T so my bill is $ 64.00 per month after all the other taxes and such. Should I have chosen to go with the 5, AT&T does not have a 200MB LTE data plan so I would have had to go to the 300MB for another $ 5.00 per month. I don't play games or watch you tube, I use the device as a tool for e-mail and texting with very occasional use of the browser but mostly when I'm connected to WiFi. I would not feel obligated to have the very latest if your not going to use many of the features of the device but that just my 2 cents. Best regards to all....Ed

Goldmansachs

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2012
If I were you, I would go for the iPhone 4. The specs are good enough for the current App scene. In addition, you will save some clams :eek:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I have a 3GS and want to upgrade, I was thinking about getting a 4S from best buy for $50, or is that a bad idea? I suppose I could get the 5 for $150 but including tax and the $36 att charge it starts adding up. By the way I got my 3GS when the 4 was already out, and the 4S was just around the corner so I'm not too worried about having the latest thing.

You answered your own question here, if I am not mistaken? Passing on the 4 for the 3GS is a much bigger deal than passing on the 5 for the 4S IMHO.

----------

If I were you, I would go for the iPhone 4. The specs are good enough for the current App scene. In addition, you will save some clams :eek:

Eh, I'd say the 4 is a bit long in the tooth now. It is noticeably laggier than even the 4S. It will probably get one more year of support once the 5S (or whatever) comes out and then be dropped. Also, there are already things such as Siri and Apple Maps turn by turn that the 4 doesn't have, and I am sure iOS 7 will bring features it won't be getting as well. Unless he is on an ultra tight budget I would say the $100 savings doesn't justify what he loses TODAY and stands to lose over the next two years of ownership.

Matthew9559

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2007
Cleveland, OH
Apple tends to make features available (eventually) to only the latest versions of the iPhone. As long as you are upgrading every 2 years to the latest this generally is not an issue. By buying a generation older phone you will see certain features you will miss out on even sooner. Which is fine by me because you can get a phone on contract every 2 years for $200.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.