Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flagooner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
Hello everyone just registered. I would like to ask if anyone can solve my problem or point me in the right direction. Just bought my Grandson a used 17'' Powerbook G4. He is mainly into video capture from his Xbox 360 with a Hauppauge pvr. We have tried everywhere to get hold of software wich will allow him to capture to the Powerbook. The HDPVR Capture software which is available will not run on his machine nor will the current version of eyetv. Does anyone have software which will run on this powerbook please?

flagooner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
Pvr

Hi Mike thank you for your information. My Grandson has tried 3.3.3 and tells me he is getting an error message ie; not supported on this Powerbook.I will however try reinstallng your suggested version,and get back,thank you very much.

flagooner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
Problems

Hello Mike547 installed EyeTV 3.4.3 and getting error message '' This Device ( Haupaugge HDPVR ) is not supported by EYETV on Powermac Computors'' can you advise please?

mike457

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2010
Ontario
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. That problem I don't know the answer to; I haven't tried this combination of hardware and software. I looked at Elgato's website, and they also say that the Hauppauge is not supported on PowerPC. :(

flagooner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
Hardware

Thank you Mike, what hardware have you had success with on a Powerbook if any?

mike457

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2010
Ontario
I've used an Intel Mac for my heavy lifting for a while now, so I'm dipping back into memory. I have used an EyeTV 250 Plus with the Powerbook, which worked all right, though it's standard-def. I originally used a gadget called the Formac Studio. It worked pretty well. I think they're long out of business, though, but you might be able to find one on an auction site.

In the Intel-only world, I currently use an EyeTV HD.

flagooner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
Haupaugge

Thank You I think it would be cheaper for me to get a cheap windows PC capture on this and then transfer to Powerbook to edit.

Nyy8

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2011
New England
I have some experience on the windows side of things... If you buy him a "Cheap" windows laptop your going to be honestly throwing money out the window.

HD editing takes quite a bit of power.. I remember using a Pentium 4 HT @ 3.2 GHz and it wasn't near fast enough. If your grandson is doing HD (720p) you could expect to drop $500-$1000 on a windows laptop or about 1,200 on a base mac book Pro. Don't bother buying those "Special Deal" $299 laptops.. odds are they are made for surfing the internet and reading emails and nothing more.

EDIT: Make sure the computer your going to buy has ATLEAST 2GB of ram.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
I have some experience on the windows side of things... If you buy him a "Cheap" windows laptop your going to be honestly throwing money out the window.

HD editing takes quite a bit of power.. I remember using a Pentium 4 HT @ 3.2 GHz and it wasn't near fast enough. If your grandson is doing HD (720p) you could expect to drop $500-$1000 on a windows laptop or about 1,200 on a base mac book Pro. Don't bother buying those "Special Deal" $299 laptops.. odds are they are made for surfing the internet and reading emails and nothing more.

EDIT: Make sure the computer your going to buy has ATLEAST 2GB of ram.

He will be using the cheap Windows laptop to record, and will transfer the video to the Powerbook.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Excuse me since I'm new to PowerPCs, but can a Powerbook handle HD videos?

It all depends on the format and how compressed it is (and the speed of the PowerBook, obviously). Also, it matters what applications you use to edit.

flagooner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
Capture

Thanks NYY8 I think I'll look for a used dual core Pentium desktop as a safe bet, thank you for your advice.What applications are useable on a Powerbook to edit HD, the Powerbook I bought is 1.67ghz and has 2gig of ram.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.