Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you have a case

• Yes, I want protection and no scuffs

Votes: 78 57.4%
  • No, I like my phones nice and slim

Votes: 58 42.6%

• Total voters

FatGuy007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2012
New York
I don't know if I should put a case on my black iPhone 5, i really like naked things, only exception is the smart cover for iPad/Mini.

Brown Trout

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2011
Wirelessly posted

My 5 with a Zagg Luxe Lean is as thin as my 4 was naked. It's already paid for itself on a drop to a wood floor that would have caved a corner. Besides it goes on or off in seconds.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I had a case, the switch easy nude.... and it broke. So now I'm just going caseless.

n2deep

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2010
I have a case on mine but its one of those clear super thin cases that really isn't going to protect anything more than scratches on the back.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I think with something as expensive and fragile as an iPhone, you should at least put a bumper on it. Gives you something to grab onto and keeps it from slipping out of your hands.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
Yes I surely do. I have a Belkin case and I'm waiting on a case and holster set to come in the mail as well.

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
I'd like to go case-less, but I'm too afraid of dropping it with disastrous results. I have a wide variety of cases from a minimal clear one to a Otterbox Defender. When I think of all the care that went into the design of the iPhone 5, it's a shame to cover it up! But, I generally use a Belkin case from the Vz store. It has a smooth surface and covers most buttons without adding much bulk.

Surrylic

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
I'm using a thin case, but mainly just to prevent scratches on the back when I sit it down.. I don't want to have to worry about the surface it's being laid on.

wilhub

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2009
Texas
I use the Otterbox Defender on my iPhone 5. I swear by them. I was thankful that the Otterbox Defender was available at launch of the iPhone 5.

I had my iPhone 4 for over 2 years in a Otterbox Defender and it looks as good today as it did when I first received it June of 2010. My brother now has the iPhone 4.

darkside flow

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Toronto
Best of both worlds.. Sena ultraslim black leather sleeve so it's without a case when I use it. The design is too good to not appreciate.

TinyBFK

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2012
No case. Dropped it twice from about 3 feet the first time and 4 feet the second time on concrete, corner first, and it just has a couple dings. The surprising part is both times I picked it up it was laying face down on the concrete but the screen is still flawless somehow. I have AppleCare + so when it's time to sell, or if it eventually shatters one of these times, I will just pay the $50 and get it replaced. On the flip side if I hand it down to my wife or mother the good part is they will still have AppleCare + for at least a year which is a necessity as they're pretty clumsy for the most part.

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
This poll really needs an additional option of:

'No, I don't want to make an aesthetically pleasing device look like an abomination by putting some godawful case on it'

(I do actually have a linen sleeve case I use when it's in my pocket etc, but when it's actually out of my pocket it's 'naked')

90miles

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2012
I got a case because my workspace has a glass table which made me too afraid of scratching the back of my phone...

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I am actually surprised the poll is as close as it is. I use my phone naked, but was expecting it to be closer to 5 to 1 (cover:no cover). IRL, myself and one other person I know do not use a cover....everyone else has at least a bumper.

Davejprince

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012
The Netherlands
A simple answer here:
No case if you are careful or do not care about a few scratches or having the risk to shatter the back glass windows or the screen.
Use a case if you know you will drop your phone frequently and if you want to keep your phone in mint condition to keep a high resale value for in the future;

Dave,

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY
Yes, I have a case.

Kay's Case - Smoked color, $11.99 on Amazon.com. Hardly adds anything to the phone but will keep it from breaking if dropped and only the face of the phone could possibly get any scratches, which it hasn't yet in two months of use.

iKIKO

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2011
I havent used a case on the 5 since bough it, and i even drop it once very hard. Not a single mark or scratch. This thing can take it very well. I dont how i read every day clompaints about being scratched so easily and stuff. Mine is pristine

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.