Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
To me the Galaxy Nexus is the perfect form factor for an iPhone. It's thin and not to much bigger than an iPhone 5 and offers a larger screen.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Um, this is Apple, premium manufacturer extraordinaire.

If you "can't afford both" and "need a compromise" there are plenty of manufacturers out there producing devices with a vast array of different screen sizes.

Apple is primarily focused on consumers with money to burn, that's just the way it is.

Yes, Apples business model is to push people that want compromise to the competition.

"If you arent going to give us a lot of money we want you to give the competition a medium amount of money".....

/sarcasm

When apple inevitably makes a phablet whats their business model going to be then? Oh yeah a normal one, "we want your money and we do not want you to give it to the competition". IPhone screens are getting bigger with the 5 and iPad screens are getting smaller with the mini....sounds like compromise to me....

tomjleeds

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Manchester, UK
Yes, Apples business model is to push people that want compromise to the competition.

"If you arent going to give us a lot of money we want you to give the competition a medium amount of money".....

/sarcasm

When apple inevitably makes a phablet whats their business model going to be then? Oh yeah a normal one, "we want your money and we do not want you to give it to the competition". IPhone screens are getting bigger with the 5 and iPad screens are getting smaller with the mini....sounds like compromise to me....

Well, if that means that Apple can maintain its current approach of having a single iPhone model, with which it has made billions of dollars and many times more profit than the competition, yes.

It's not as simple as "we have to have every customer", there is a method to what Apple has been doing and it has been working extremely well. Any statistic you could choose proves that without a shadow of a doubt.

There will be compromise when Apple judges that it can do so without cannibalising its other sales, not because some people on a forum bleat about how the phone is too big/small/narrow/ugly/whatever.

Last edited:

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
This is a joke right? The S3 mini is NOT a flagship device. That's like saying the iPad Mini is just a small version of the iPad 4.

Don't think I forgot about the S3 Mini either. AT&T has 4-5 4" Samsung phone currently available, but they are all low end to mid phones.

That's why I said don't expect Samsung to go back in time.....

Let me remind you what your wrote again.

Don't expect Samsung to go back in time and release a 4" screen device when the form factor can have a bigger screen.

Soon we'll be hearing about how the iPhone has the perfect amount of bezel.

Oops... Samsung is releasing a 4" screen phone called the S3 Mini. Yup, Samsung decided to make a smaller version of their Galaxy S3.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Well, if that means that Apple can maintain its current approach of having a single iPhone model, with which it has made billions of dollars and many times more profit than the competition, yes.

It's not as simple as "we have to have every customer", there is a method to what Apple has been doing and it has been working extremely well. Any statistic you could choose proves that without a shadow of a doubt.

There will be compromise when Apple judges that it can do so without cannibalising its other sales, not because some people on a forum bleat about how the phone is too big/small/narrow/ugly/whatever.

are you serious? Apple also said they would never make a smaller iPad...that the original design and size was perfect...now a couple years late voila! iPad Mini! They are selling millions of iPad minis.....

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
My iphone gets the most use on my commute to and from work each day. Because it is rush hour, I spend some of the time standing. While I can certainly see the benefit of a larger phone when sitting down and being able to grip it with both hands, it just wouldn't be usable when I am standing.

So Apple may one day release a 4inch + phone, they will do it along side the current model as there is still a big market for people that need to be able to use their phone with one hand.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
the more days past, the more i hate my iphone 5.... it's excellent at everything, but when it's used for browsing the web, it just hurts my eyes... i dont wanna switch to android just because android sucks balls...

i just submitted a feedback telling apple how pissed i am with the small iphone 5 screen.... all of you guys should do the same, here's the link:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

So go and buy an iPad Mini. And a cheap Nokia phone to make phone calls.

Personally, I think anyone holding a Galaxy phone or a similar phone monstrosity to their face to make a phone call looks ridiculous. If you want a big screen, get a proper big screen.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Ideally, I'd like a 4.3-4.5" iPhone with a 3:2 ratio. However, since getting an LTE Mini, no longer that fussed about a bigger iPhone as I take the Mini everywhere except the gym/sporting activities/boozing. Mini fits easily in my coat/jacket pocket and, living in Manchester, UK, you get about 6 days a year when you don't need a jacket lol.

Prior to getting a mini, I'd regularly have to charge my phone 3/4 through the day. Now, I barely hit 50%.

Last edited:

tomjleeds

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Manchester, UK
are you serious? Apple also said they would never make a smaller iPad...that the original design and size was perfect...now a couple years late voila! iPad Mini! They are selling millions of iPad minis.....

Yes I'm serious...did you actually read my post?

Guess not :rolleyes:

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Let me remind you what your wrote again.

Oops... Samsung is releasing a 4" screen phone called the S3 Mini. Yup, Samsung decided to make a smaller version of their Galaxy S3.
See, that's how competitors eat into Apple's market. They're now going directly after the crowd that still wants a small screen. That's very smart. If that tactic works, it will force Apple to branch out beyond the smallest smartphone screen on the market.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Last edited:

underblu

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
The reason I left Android and back to Apple is for the screen. I hate these phablet phones. The Note 2 is a joke, I mean, hell, a freaking kids show made fun of it, and the S3 is alright, but still, too big. I'll use my Nexus 7 for any intensive surfing/video watching. I just don't understand what people's fascination is with bigger phones, like they're compensating or something. I know SO MANY people who don't even want to switch from the 4S to the 5 because they don't want a phone that is 4"! I had a 4.3" phone and I liked it, but that is by far the biggest phone I'll ever get. They won't add another iPhone, because they don't want damning fragmentation like Android, this coming from an Android fan.

Anecdotal information aside. Sales of phones with larger displays are surging. Phablet that's a good thing the functionality of a tablet in the form factor of a phone. Not having a 4.5+ display device is undoubtedly hurting Apple iphone sales.

Previously android phones could only effectively compete with Apple based on pricing. ie: Android phones would be priced lower and could be had with less expensive phone plans. The S3 ,S2 Note etc., have similar pricing to the iPhone 5 and are able to very effectively compete with the iPhone.

When even some Mac users are defecting to android there is clearly a problem and it ain't the maps debacle.

I hope Tim Cook gets smart and releases a a larger screen iPhone. The cache of the Apple brand, together with the quality of their devices, the beautiful minimalist designs are still a cut above the rest. S3 sales would be significantly impacted if the the 5 had a 4.5" screen.

Apple was smart to offer a 7" ipad mini. Consumer choice is a good thing. Apple completely owns the premium tablet space and that should likely continue.

I have no doubt that offering a 4" Iphone mini along with 4.8 iPhone HD would get that Apple smart phone juggernaut rolling again.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Um, this is Apple, premium manufacturer extraordinaire.

If you "can't afford both" and "need a compromise" there are plenty of manufacturers out there producing devices with a vast array of different screen sizes.

Apple is primarily focused on consumers with money to burn, that's just the way it is.

Affording two is not the issue, who the hell wants to be stuck having to carry around two devices when one will do the job.

Apples REFUSAL to give their iPhone customers an option on screen size will cost them business, not create more.

I was at ATT store this morning going over my own options when two people approached me telling me that they switched from the iPhone to a Samsung Galaxy SIII in one case and the other customer went with the Note II.

I still have not made my decision, I may take my iPhone 4 to Apple and pay for an out of warranty replacement and tolerate it for a little while longer.

tomjleeds

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Manchester, UK
LOl...guess you did not see the news? The iPad mini is out selling the the other iPads.....Apple had the lion share of the tablet market BEFORE releasing smaller tablet. So now the mini IS canalizing the other ipad sales! So your theory is debunked as.... FAIL :eek:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-57559231/apple-ipad-mini-sales-set-to-eclipse-new-ipad/

You sure have a great understanding of how this works. I mean, a few weeks of data, showing that the whole new product is selling well compared to the one which is just a small refresh of the previous model, that's just incredible :rolleyes:

Affording two is not the issue, who the hell wants to be stuck having to carry around two devices when one will do the job.

Apples REFUSAL to give their iPhone customers an option on screen size will cost them business, not create more.

I was at ATT store this morning going over my own options when two people approached me telling me that they switched from the iPhone to a Samsung Galaxy SIII in one case and the other customer went with the Note II.

I still have not made my decision, I may take my iPhone 4 to Apple and pay for an out of warranty replacement and tolerate it for a little while longer.

...I was responding to a poster who said that affording two was an issue :confused:

Nonetheless, lots of people prefer to carry two devices which excel rather than one which fulfils neither role.

Frankly I don't care about anecdotes from the ATT store.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Frankly I don't care about anecdotes from the ATT store.

Clearly Apple does not care what the customer wants neither.

They have that Henry Ford disease! ;)

Henry Ford: They can have any color they want, so long as it is black.

Apple: They can have any size iPhone they want, so long as it is the only size we offer.

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK

Apple: They can have any size iPhone they want, so long as it is the only size we offer.

Clearly you have made your point, you don't like Apple. Why are you still here?

At the end of the day, there is no such thing as a 'best' phone. Not at all. Yes, you can have the phone with the highest specs, the best camera, the best audio quality, but as a package? No!

What is deemed to be a killer feature for one person may be severely limiting for another. No two people are the same so you're not going to convince people that what YOU don't like in a phone is a compelling reason for them to get rid of it.

It disgusts me.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Anecdotal information aside. Sales of phones with larger displays are surging. Phablet that's a good thing the functionality of a tablet in the form factor of a phone. Not having a 4.5+ display device is undoubtedly hurting Apple iphone sales.

Are they? Based on Google's own numbers, only 6.1% of active Android devices are considered "large screens" by Google's definition. This number is down from the last time I checked.

http://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html

qzsmJ.png

Jax9D.png

Google defines this as devices over 4 inches (looks like it goes from about 4.3 and above)

http://developer.android.com/guide/practices/screens_support.html

eGRUt.png

Doesn't seem like that big of a demand to me...

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Clearly you have made your point, you don't like Apple. Why are you still here?

If I did not like Apple there would not be three iPads in my house.

If I did not like Apple there would not be two iMacs in my house.

If I did not like Apple there would not be two Apple TV's in my house.

If I did not like Apple there would not be two Macbook Pro's in my house.

If I did not like Apple there would not be one Mac Pro in my house.

I have owned every iPhone from the first one up to the iPhone 4, however since the first one my needs have evolved to the point where I, like many others would like an option of a larger screen. Just because I do not like the size of the iPhone screen do not let your jerky knee allow you to jump to the conclusion that I do not like Apple because you would be making a very bad assumption.

You seem to think that if a person does not like EVERY PRODUCT a manufacture makes than that person must not like that manufacturer.

I am not an Apple 'fan boy' and when there is something about an Apple product that I do not like I will speak out about it.

----------

No two people are the same so you're not going to convince people that what YOU don't like in a phone is a compelling reason for them to get rid of it.

Never said anyone should get rid of anything.

All I have ever said is I would like it if Apple offered a larger screen iPhone as an option.

You should get that knee looked at! :rolleyes:

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Apple should just do what they did to the Mac and iPad.

Make TWO different sizes.

Like...

4 inch
4.3 inch to 4.7 inch

iPhone 5 - 4 inches
Windows Phone 8X - 4.3 inches
Nexus 4 - 4.7 inches
Galaxy S III - 4.8 inches
Droid DNA - 5 inches
Galaxy Note II - 5.5 inches

underblu

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
Are they? Based on Google's own numbers, only 6.1% of active Android devices are considered "large screens" by Google's definition. This number is down from the last time I checked.

http://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html

Google defines this as devices over 4 inches (looks like it goes from about 4.3 and above)

http://developer.android.com/guide/practices/screens_support.html

Doesn't seem like that big of a demand to me...

What is this even a chart of. Is it a chart of all active smart phones? then of course large phones will be a small percentage as they haven't been available for a very long time compared to their normal counterparts.

Why post deceptive analytics to try and support a point?

Fact: Galaxy S3 sold 30+ million units in the 5 months since it launched and became the top selling smartphone for Q3, outselling the iPhone.

Apple may catch up with the iPhone 5, considering its large entrenched customer base, however the fact that the S3 was able to sell 30 million units in a little over 150 days shows the strong appeal of larger screens.

Even the "Phablet" Note 2 is selling better than anticipated reaching 3 million in sales in a little over a month.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
What is this even a chart of. Is it a chart of all active smart phones? then of course large phones will be a small percentage as they haven't been available for a very long time compared to their normal counterparts.

Why post deceptive analytics to try and support a point?

Fact: Galaxy S3 sold 30+ million units in the 5 months since it launched and became the top selling smartphone for Q3, outselling the iPhone.

Apple may catch up with the iPhone 5, considering its large entrenched customer base, however the fact that the S3 was able to sell 30 million units in a little over 150 days shows the strong appeal of larger screens.

Even the "Phablet" Note 2 is selling better than anticipated reaching 3 million in sales in a little over a month.

The link says the data is from:

"Data collected during a 7-day period ending on October 1, 2012"

The data is not representative of the totality of all devices ever sold, this represents data collected from people who have used their devices between September 24th 2012 to October 1st 2012. This is on Google's developer website, to help developers decide which screen sizes to develop for.

This is Google's data, not a third-party source, and not an analyst guess.

Can you provide a source for your facts? Considering Samsung only releases "shipped" numbers and not "sold" numbers, I'm interested to see your source on this. The recent Apple vs. Samsung court case revealed the truth behind Samsung's purported sales numbers:

For example, in December 2010, the first quarter Samsung’s tablet launched, it announced it had sold 1 million units worldwide. According to court documents AllThingsD and CNET published yesterday, Samsung sold 262,000 in the U.S.

The discrepancy in numbers occurs again in the second quarter of 2012. A research report from IDC last week showed Samsung sold 2.3 million Galaxy Tabs worldwide. The court documents show that in the U.S., between April and June, Samsung sold 37,000 units.

More Secrets Revealed: Galaxy Tab's uninspiring U.S. Sales Numbers

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
You sure have a great understanding of how this works. I mean, a few weeks of data, showing that the whole new product is selling well compared to the one which is just a small refresh of the previous model, that's just incredible :rolleyes:
so glad you finally see the light. Side by side customers are buying the smaller new ipad more than the new larger updated retina ipad. So the buying public has spoken with their dollars.....So Apple released a smaller ipad that is cannibalizing their existing product line......you just can't admit you were wrong even when proven....

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009

Atleast Henry Ford made it his goal to pay his workers twice what normal wages were and to make sure his employees could all afford the companies products. Apple does not such thing lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.