Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Maybe I am missing something but I do not see a way to access my Contacts in Google Maps. I generally create a Contact Record for all locations I plan to visit on a trip so it is easy to select where I want to go. But while testing I could not find a button to access my Contacts. Seem like a very basic feature. I tried just doing the Search thinking it would search my contacts first but it does not.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Maybe I am missing something but I do not see a way to access my Contacts in Google Maps. I generally create a Contact Record for all locations I plan to visit on a trip so it is easy to select where I want to go. But while testing I could not find a button to access my Contacts. Seem like a very basic feature. I tried just doing the Search thinking it would search my contacts first but it does not.

Google did not include that is this version, maybe will be added in the future. will just have to copy and paste.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Google did not include that is this version, maybe will be added in the future. will just have to copy and paste.
Thanks. I have also used Navigon for years since Google did not have turn by turn. It had a bug where it would not parse correctly any address that had a suite or apartment (has been fixed in some release). Because they never fixed for a while another company created an app call Navigon Now which would search your contacts and then start Navigon with the address parsed correctly. Hopefully Google will address this soon so we don't have to this route.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Thanks. I have also used Navigon for years since Google did not have turn by turn. It had a bug where it would not parse correctly any address that had a suite or apartment (has been fixed in some release). Because they never fixed for a while another company created an app call Navigon Now which would search your contacts and then start Navigon with the address parsed correctly. Hopefully Google will address this soon so we don't have to this route.

TBH i do not understand why so many on here are so excited about "google maps" i have always used Waze or MotionX on my 4 and those have always worked pretty good, much better then the old google/apple maps that came with iOS 5 and below.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
TBH i do not understand why so many on here are so excited about "google maps" i have always used Waze or MotionX on my 4 and those have always worked pretty good, much better then the old google/apple maps that came with iOS 5 and below.
Actually I have been very happy with Apple Maps. However, like I said I generally have contact records for all of my addresses. Sometimes with Apple Maps when you do a search the address is wrong. So I was planning to use Google Maps as a backup when I do not know the address. However, it would be better to also be able to use it with my contact list as a backup as well. Crazy that they do not support contacts.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Actually I have been very happy with Apple Maps. However, like I said I generally have contact records for all of my addresses. Sometimes with Apple Maps when you do a search the address is wrong. So I was planning to use Google Maps as a backup when I do not know the address. However, it would be better to also be able to use it with my contact list as a backup as well. Crazy that they do not support contacts.

Since we seem to be having this conversation just between us, I will quote you again :D

I am still on my 4 until Christmas, then I get my new 5 and am very much looking forward to Siri and Apple Maps with turn by turn. I have never really relied on any POI data of any GPS software I use (even my stand alone Garmin). I always type in an address or pick the address from my contacts.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Since we seem to be having this conversation just between us, I will quote you again :D

I am still on my 4 until Christmas, then I get my new 5 and am very much looking forward to Siri and Apple Maps with turn by turn. I have never really relied on any POI data of any GPS software I use (even my stand alone Garmin). I always type in an address or pick the address from my contacts.
Then you will be happy with Apple Maps. It has a very simple interface. I like the interface better then any that I have used. However, I would not mind a few more features like speed limit on the road I am on. Navigon has it and it is handy.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Then you will be happy with Apple Maps. It has a very simple interface. I like the interface better then any that I have used. However, I would not mind a few more features like speed limit on the road I am on. Navigon has it and it is handy.

Motionx has the speed you are going and the speed limit, i do like that. I have iOS 6 on my 4 and i do like the interface just not the lack of turn by turn. Im so ready for my new 5, going to pass the 4 down to my daughter.

briankeith513

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2011
Atlanta, GA

Yep, that's pretty disappointing, I also want night mode, inside maps, and speed limit and speedometer info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.