Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ab Ovo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
It seems suddenly about half of my "Bookmarks" of YouTube videos will not load and play. The page comes up, with the usual large black window, but it that won't load a video. Nothing I can do can make it play.

As well, on several Web sites and pages when there is a YouTube link, again the page will come up but the video won't load.

I'm on a Mac/w 10.6.8.

Any ideas? I don't know that I've done anything unusual; this sudden stopping of videos loading just happened the other day. Now about half my Bookmarks will not work, nor half the links I see.

Any ideas what this could be?

mach1ne

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2011
Glasgow, UK
Hey there,
I'm getting this too. It happened to me overnight around 4 days ago, which is why I'm here on the forum. Hoping someone else can shed light on this. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling Adobe Flash but makes no difference. Posted a similar thread in mac-forums.com but haven't had a reply there yet.
For anyone who's aware of this new problem and thinks they can help here's the score:

I have a Macbook using version 10.5.8. And in the last four days I can no longer play videos on youtube. The video 'screen' remains black and with no transport controls visible. This is happening with every video I look at now. Before it always worked fine. Even my old Powerbook still plays videos (albeit slowly!). My new MacBook Pro is also fine. So it's just this Macbook. I have checked if I need any software updates but none are showing up.
Some help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Gordon

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Hey there,
I'm getting this too. It happened to me overnight around 4 days ago, which is why I'm here on the forum. Hoping someone else can shed light on this. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling Adobe Flash but makes no difference. Posted a similar thread in mac-forums.com but haven't had a reply there yet.
For anyone who's aware of this new problem and thinks they can help here's the score:

I have a Macbook using version 10.5.8. And in the last four days I can no longer play videos on youtube. The video 'screen' remains black and with no transport controls visible. This is happening with every video I look at now. Before it always worked fine. Even my old Powerbook still plays videos (albeit slowly!). My new MacBook Pro is also fine. So it's just this Macbook. I have checked if I need any software updates but none are showing up.
Some help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Gordon

Same here and I am also on 10.5.8, hope the OP comes back here and says on what OS he is.

It is not your Mac as far as I know, I did not install anything and it just does not work anymore, pretty sure it is YouTube.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Subscribing to this thread, hope there's a fix soon. A friend had this happen about a month ago suddenly. She's running OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard. She also uninstalled then reinstalled Flash & Chrome, made no difference. She's particularly irked because she can no longer get into her own YouTube channel account.

mach1ne

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2011
Glasgow, UK
hey all,

guess what I found....youtube have been entering people into trials for html 5 without telling them. It's possible this happened to you too. See here:

http://www.youtube.com/html5?gl=GB&hl=en-GB

At the bottom of that page you will (probably) see a link to 'Leave the HTML 5 trial'

Click on this link....and BINGO....your videos should now work....mine certainly do.

Good luck

G

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
hey all,

guess what I found....youtube have been entering people into trials for html 5 without telling them. It's possible this happened to you too. See here:

http://www.youtube.com/html5?gl=GB&hl=en-GB

At the bottom of that page you will (probably) see a link to 'Leave the HTML 5 trial'

Click on this link....and BINGO....your videos should now work....mine certainly do.

Good luck

G

You know what I find odd about this, I switched to HTML 5 quite a while ago(that's what I think) and had no problems until a few days ago.
It should work in safari 5.0.6
Will try it though.

Supported Browsers
We support browsers that support both the video tag in HTML5 and either the h.264 video codec or the WebM format (with VP8 codec). These include:
Firefox 4 (WebM, Available here)
Google Chrome (WebM)
Opera 10.6+ (WebM, Available here)
Apple Safari (h.264, version 4+)
Microsoft Internet Explorer 9 (h.264, Available here, WebM support avaliable here)
Microsoft Internet Explorer 6, 7, or 8 with Google Chrome Frame installed (Get Google Chrome Frame

Ab Ovo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
YouTube videos all kerfluey!

Ah, mach1ne, many thanks!

I am running a straight iMac 24” desktop, 10.6.8, Safari only browser, using Version 5.1.7 (6534.57.2).

Maybe I've been entered in a trail for html 5 .... (new, it's all Greek to me, but thanks to you, every day gains a little knowledge in the old noggin) ... so I'll use your link and opt out and see what happens. Thanks. Good work!

--e.

Ab Ovo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
P.s.

mach1ne, I clicked the YouTube link and noticed up in the top right-hand corner my name, as logged in! It was YouTube GB, but they had me.

(I signed up with them some time ago and sometimes comment on videos).

I also saw at the bottom I was in the trail! So I clicked the link to leave, then logged out of the page.

Keeping fingers crossed!

This came to me via mail, and works, enjoy Christmas! Who can't love dancing goats!

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/b4_EdJ-XkUA?rel=0

--e.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I believe there was something wrong on YouTube, it now works again without doing anything.
I've been on HTML 5 for quite a while, can't remember when I joined the HTML 5 test, worked much better on a Powerbook G4 but since a few days when clicking on links did not work.
Flash on this Powerbook just sux.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Thanks, you all are awesome! I forwarded your information about the HTML5 trial & opt-out page to my friend. Waiting to hear back if it works. Fingers crossed that this finally does the trick.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
:( Hmmm, my friend went to the US version of the link to opt out and it read: "You are not currently in the HTML5 trial. Join the HTML5 Trial"

--which she decidedly did not. Any other ideas to fix this YouTube problem? :confused:

Thank you.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
This is so frustrating! My friend can get into her Youtube account but cannot view any of her videos or upload new ones. So the Trial Opt-Out didn't help her at all.

Today I tried to look up an address with Google Maps Street View and it no longer works --just a black window! I'm using the latest version Safari, and my Snow Leopard partition.

I also opted out of the HTML5 Trial. That didn't work.
I, heh!, googled the problem and black windows in Safari for Google apps goes back at least to February 2011. Someone on Apple forums said that changing Safari to 32 bit mode helped them. I tried that and no, it didn't work.

I tried to report the problem to Google three times and my report evaporated into the ether --because in order to do so, I had to mark the area in the SOLID BLACK window... Yeh, that'll work. Arrrggghhh!:mad:

Update: Works fine in my Mountain Lion partition. Poor, poor Snow Leopard has become an ugly step-cat. :(

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.