Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
These are the Read-Only HFS+ drivers that comes with Boot Camp.

They can be installed on any matching Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 or 10 machine without the need to install the Boot Camp package (and also easily removed if necessary). - Technically v6.0 should work on Vista/7/8 but it has not been tested.

If you are using the Windows 10 Anniversary update uninstall the driver and use Paragon until things are sorted out.

How to Install:
1)
Uninstall Paragon or MacDrive
2) Copy AppleHFS.sys & AppleMNT.sys to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\
3) Merge Add_AppleHFS.reg
4) Restart

[Boot Camp 6] Windows 8.1 and 10

[Boot Camp 5] Windows 7, 8 and 8.1

[Boot Camp 4] Windows Vista and Windows 7

Attachments

• Apple_HFS_Read_Only_Driver_v3.2.0.2.zip
    78.3 KB · Views: 94,912
  • Apple_HFS_Read_Only_Driver_v5.0.0.1.zip
    46.7 KB · Views: 23,542
  • Apple_HFS_Read_Only_Driver_v6.0.1.0.zip
    46.1 KB · Views: 37,750
Last edited:

jhencken

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2011
University Place, WA
installation method?

Can you advise on how to install it on the Windows machine?

This is the Read-Only HFS+ driver that comes with Boot Camp 4. It can be installed on any Windows Vista, 7 or 8 machine without the need to install the Boot Camp package (and also easily removed if necessary).

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
There's a text file in the Zip archive with instructions.

Code:
How to Install Apple HFS+ Driver:
    1. Uninstall MacDrive/Paragon
    2. Copy AppleHFS.sys & AppleMNT.sys to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\
    3. Merge Add_AppleHFS.reg
    4. Restart

How to Remove Apple HFS+ Driver:
    1. Browse to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\
    2. Rename AppleHFS.sys & AppleMNT.sys to AppleHFS.sy_ & AppleMNT.sy_
    3. Restart
    4. Browse to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\
    5. Delete AppleHFS.sy_ & AppleMNT.sy_
    6. Merge Remove_AppleHFS.reg

Note: x86    folder is for 32-bit Windows
      x86_64 folder is for 64-bit Windows

Last edited:

woof1912

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2012
read-only

I'm curious. Maybe I'm wrong, but in Snow Leopard's version of Boot Camp, the driver for HFS+ was read-write. Did they change it to read-only for Lion?

DavyB56

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2012
UK
Possibly corruption problems with large HD

I'm curious. Maybe I'm wrong, but in Snow Leopard's version of Boot Camp, the driver for HFS+ was read-write. Did they change it to read-only for Lion?

They may have made it read-only for safety as some linux users found that large Hard Disks e.g. 2TB could be corrupted without journalling turned off.

Its well known that writable NTFS is risky on a Mac, heck NTFS is risky on a PC and the people at redmond ain't gonna fix that in anything less than a new major release of the OS

Major.Robto

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2012
NTFS is the standard file system in Windows 7 and 8. It is a very good and stable file system.

I never had a ntfs partition mess up

but i have hfs+ mess up three times on me now causesing the system to be unusable and then causing the disk ult to not work.

Had to format my drive with a win 7 install disk

dsmush

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2012
Had my MacBook Pro since 2010 and this is the first time it has stopped working took it to Apple today and they said it will need a reformat to fix it but I need some files off it so they suggested trying HFS drivers for windows since I have no access to another Mac.

How does this work do I just hook the Mac up to PC and with these drivers in place it treats it as a hard drive that I can explore and copy particular files over to the windows hard drive? Or do I need to copy the whole hard drive (image the drive)?

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Had my MacBook Pro since 2010 and this is the first time it has stopped working took it to Apple today and they said it will need a reformat to fix it but I need some files off it so they suggested trying HFS drivers for windows since I have no access to another Mac.

How does this work do I just hook the Mac up to PC and with these drivers in place it treats it as a hard drive that I can explore and copy particular files over to the windows hard drive? Or do I need to copy the whole hard drive (image the drive)?

As long as the pc has a firewire port, you can boot the mac in target mode and access it like an external HDD, yes.

dsmush

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2012
As long as the pc has a firewire port, you can boot the mac in target mode and access it like an external HDD, yes.
Does it need to be firewire can I use a hard drive dock and take the mac hard drive out and put it in that then attach to PC via USB?

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Does it need to be firewire can I use a hard drive dock and take the mac hard drive out and put it in that then attach to PC via USB?

To do it without taking the drive out it has to be firewire, if taking the drive out then any old dock that takes laptop hdd's should work, just a standard drive after all.

dzigg

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2007
Sorry but it doesn't work on my Windows 8 :(

I have Paragon installed before, it can read HFS+ drive on my system no problem , but it's giving me other issue which is I can't seem to shutdown the PC. So I uninstalled it and try to give this driver a go.

Btw, I have Windows 8 64 bit, the driver still goes to system32 right?

Thx

EdSaxman

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2012
Update v4.0.2.0

Some time ago I found the 3.2.0.2 drivers thanks to this thread, and in gratitude, I would like to contribute with this update:

Apple HFS Read Only Driver v4.0.2.0.zip

They are extracted from Bootcamp 5.0 for MBP 2012. Includes 32 and 64 bit version.

The rest of the content is exactly the same as in the Quad5Ny original zip.

Tested in Windows 8 Pro 64-bit.

Enjoy! ;)

Reactions: Smartcom5

2Turbo

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2011
Some time ago I found the 3.2.0.2 drivers thanks to this thread, and in gratitude, I would like to contribute with this update:

Apple HFS Read Only Driver v4.0.2.0.zip

They are extracted from Bootcamp 5.0 for MBP 2012. Includes 32 and 64 bit version.

The rest of the content is exactly the same as in the Quad5Ny original zip.

Tested in Windows 8 Pro 64-bit.

Enjoy! ;)

Thanks! This helped a lot when i needed to read something on my external from a pc.

Hopefully someone keeps this updated from time to time. I'm subed to this thread for the future. :D

k3nny

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2013
Thanks for the previous versions and registry files!

EDIT:

Here is a quick update with 64-bit drivers from BootCamp 5.0.5033:
- AppleHFS.sys 5.0.0.1
- AppleMNT.sys 5.0.0.0

Works fine with Windows 8.1 x64.

Attachments

• AppleHFS_v4.1.0.0.zip
    45.9 KB · Views: 8,305
  • AppleHFS_v5.0.0.1.zip
    49.1 KB · Views: 5,778
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: DeepIn2U

2Turbo

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2011
Thanks for the previous versions and registry files!

Here is a quick update with 64 bit drivers from BootCamp 5.0.5033:
- AppleHFS.sys 4.1.0.0
- AppleMNT.sys 4.0.1.0

Awesome! I take it these are from the 10.8.3 Bootcamp update? Does Windows 8 work?

Thanks!

evangw

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008
I'm not getting this to work... not sure if I'm doing something wrong. Can I use this standalone (i.e. without installing anything else from Bootcamp)? I copied the two files from the 4.1 version from K3nny and then ran the registry updater, but I still can't view any HFS drives. Using Win 7 64-bit on a pure Windows machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.