Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
I don't know if people zoom in on text or if that's even possible (coming over from windows) but I can't do it. It just looks too stretched to me.

Is there some zoom feature I should mess around with?

sukai

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2012
I don't know if people zoom in on text or if that's even possible (coming over from windows) but I can't do it. It just looks too stretched to me.

If you have a trackpad double tap with two fingers on the location or just stretch them. Under View also there are some things you could try. also Pressing Command and+ or - will zoom in or out on the page. Thats all i know though.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I figure a reason you buy a 27" is so you don't have your browser taking up the whole screen. You can work a lot more efficiently if you make the browser window as big as it needs to be see your webpage. It's a lot of wasted space otherwise.

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2012
I agree. A bit of a waste, and against the whole idea/benefit of a larger screen like the 27". Use it properly, and make use of the extra space for better multitasking. I see so many computer novices using full-screen on every application - makes me think this is why they designed Windows 8 the way they did :p

For specific applications, like PhotoShop or Illustrator there are times when using the full size of a 27" makes sense - but web browsing isn't one of them. Most sites are designed to fit within 940-1,200 pixels wide which is much less than the 2560 width while running full-screen.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
You guys are right and that's actually what I've been doing just having Safari lined up with the dock. I'm coming over for PC so yeah a total Mac noob. I had a 22" monitor for years and Firefox looks good fullscreen on it but true the 27" is just too big. I haven't downloaded a single app yet so there hasn't been any multitasking to be had. :p

HunterMaximus

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2008
Toronto, ON, Canada
Full screen web browsing on all but the smallest displays doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Most sites aren't really optimized to make use of widths much greater than 1024px, or at least you don't gain much from doing so.

I don't have my 27" yet, but when I do, I'm probably going to run it with my main browser window at half the width or less, and use the rest of the screen for ancillary apps (Twitter, iChat, etc.). When I'm in coding mode, my text editor, Terminal and a browser window should all fit nicely side by side.

NVRENUF!

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
PERTH, Australia
Chrome is the only browser i use, and no it's not full screen. no need , plus half the web pages are not set for full screen anyway like this forum

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
fullscreen apps are awesome on the mba 11, specially safari but on 15inch+ screen you waste space.

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
For the 27 inch screen size the space around the monitor is just wasted when web browsing. All it leaves you with if you use it with a large window size is a small space for a calculator, maybe a bit for a reduced window not showing complete content and stacked windows for things running behind. This is how I end up using my windows at 27 inches. You can never beat a dual monitor setup for true multi tasking unless you go for a 21:9 monitor :D it is going to be the same in osx or worse if your app launcher does not auto hide.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I don't even fullscreen Safari on my 11" MBA. There is just no point as most web sites use a fixed width, so the majority of the screen will just be the background color.

Yougotcarved

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2012
I don't even fullscreen Safari on my 11" MBA. There is just no point as most web sites use a fixed width, so the majority of the screen will just be the background color.

Can I ask you guys something? Are there any tools to help you use the screen space on the iMac? For example Windows Aero has a great feature if you drag a window to the left or right side it will resize it to stick on the left/right side taking up half the screen, its really handy.

Does OSX have anything cool like this to help you distribute screen space equally around the screen, like if I had 3 apps could I easily space them one third each along the screen or do I have to p*ss around dragging and resizing till it works?

If so thats a major pain and might stick with Windows

Silvereel

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
Does OSX have anything cool like this to help you distribute screen space equally around the screen, like if I had 3 apps could I easily space them one third each along the screen or do I have to p*ss around dragging and resizing till it works?

That's one Windows feature I like. I would download this, it costs a few bucks but it's not bad at all: http://www.irradiatedsoftware.com/cinch/

You're losing built-in snap functions, but you can get it back, plus you're gaining Mission Control, which you're gonna love.

Silvereel

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
THanks mate! Quick Q, what built in snap functions do I lose and can they perform the same function as Cinch?

Basically Cinch just brings over all of Windows' snap features. OS X doesn't really have anything like that, but I really like having the option. If you weren't already used to it, it probably wouldn't bother you. Check out the video in the link I posted to get an idea of what it can do.

Even though you won't have window snapping without another app, it's a pretty small price to pay for what you're getting (notwithstanding the price of he iMac itself, of course). Mission Control is a great window management tool, and I think the way the Mac handles windows makes multitasking easier. Lots of great options, I don't think you'll regret making the jump!

Yougotcarved

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2012
Basically Cinch just brings over all of Windows' snap features. OS X doesn't really have anything like that, but I really like having the option. If you weren't already used to it, it probably wouldn't bother you. Check out the video in the link I posted to get an idea of what it can do.

Even though you won't have window snapping without another app, it's a pretty small price to pay for what you're getting (notwithstanding the price of he iMac itself, of course). Mission Control is a great window management tool, and I think the way the Mac handles windows makes multitasking easier. Lots of great options, I don't think you'll regret making the jump!

Ohh I see what you're saying you were referring to losing the functions of Windows! Thanks alot for your help and honest opinion. I think actually I was exxagerating when I said I might stay with Windows, because while I don't hate Windows I really would be excited for a change since I've used Windows all my life.

Anyway, thanks alot! Just ordered my 27" iMac!!

rpramanik

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2008
San Francisco, USA
Chrome ???? a couple questions.

Wouldnt be caught dead using Safari. It's still a memory hog/leak. Chrome, though, yes.

Does it track you?

Is Safari still a leak and does it really slow you down?

I always only sleep, so a leak would be terrible, specially as I use safari always.

Thanks for the answers. A little resistance as I also don't like the colors of chrome but am sure you can change that.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010

BetterTouchTool, which is for mapping your own gestures also has a built in snap and resize. Just drag a window to the right and it snaps and resizes to 50% then you can drag another window to the left and they meet in the middle.

Zoom is not good, better to do the double tap as suggested because it resizes to fill the browser exactly. Also if you go full screen it does not stretch the browser, it just stretches the snapshot it takes for a few seconds.

Wouldnt be caught dead using Safari. It's still a memory hog/leak. Chrome, though, yes.

Safari used to be like that but not any longer, I've had it open all day with streaming video and it's only using 300Mb

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.