Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deanobear

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
I'm about to receive my first iMac - I'm sure there are a hundred threads, but I'm not even sure what I am looking for.

Are there any utilities/apps that are a real "must have" for OS X? Any help and guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Also, back in the olden days of OS 9 there was a great tetris type game called JewelBox, is it still available and does it run on OS X? I've googled it and every site is either late 90's or early 2000's and most of them dodgy.

Cheers :)

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
The MAS ( Mac App Store) is your best starting point. Apple offer bundles of starter apps, and It just depends on what you do with your Mac.

Word Processing: Pages
Spreadsheets: Numbers
Presentations: Keynote.

Bundled as iWork's

Office For Mac is also available if you need Word Excel and Powerpoint.

There are a huge amount of utilities, many free which you can browse through and select those that you will need for work. Aperture is a great choice for Camera work, and remember, you Mac comes with a lot of very powerful applications installed...Preview, Text Edit etc in your applications folder and on the dock will get you going without having to spend $$$ at first. Make a list of the tasks you do daily and go from there. Enjoy your new Mac..:)

mankar4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2007
USA
Totalspaces
Bettertouchtool- for window snapping
Afloat
Gmail for menu bar
Jdiskreport
Vlc- not mac only, but essential

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I'm about to receive my first iMac - I'm sure there are a hundred threads, but I'm not even sure what I am looking for.

Are there any utilities/apps that are a real "must have" for OS X? Any help and guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Also, back in the olden days of OS 9 there was a great tetris type game called JewelBox, is it still available and does it run on OS X? I've googled it and every site is either late 90's or early 2000's and most of them dodgy.

The following are some good apps you should have:
  • TrueCrypt
  • Spotify
  • Onyx
  • Disk Warrior
  • iStat Menus
  • Either MplayerX or VLC, both do wonderfully (Mplayer might be a tiny bit better, IMO)
  • BetterSnapTool
  • The Unarchiver
  • XCode
  • Office 2011

jsgreen

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
NH
1Password is the first app I install on a new machine

search is your friend on these forums - tons of posts like this one which will give you great advice on utilities and cool apps.

rien333

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
The Netherlands
1. Perain, for playing some non Apple-ish video formats in Quicktime
2. Dropbox, just take a look at their website for an explanation if you don't know it.
3. Smultron, nice little programming text editor.
4. Wunderlist, for tasks managent stuff.

But yeah, none of this things might appeal to you, so I recommend just taking a look in the App Store.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada

All depends on what are you going to be using your Mac for? Be more specific.

General useful items
Launchbar, 1Password, DropBox, TextWrangler

^ Bartender + BetterTouchTool are gems.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Last edited:

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Bettertouchtool= window snapping + expanding trackpad
VLC
Dropbox
Growl
jDownloader
MS Office
iPhoto
Music Manager for Google Music on the Cloud
Coconut Battery
CandyBar
PearNote

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.