Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
USA
I jumped from a going out of business blackberry curve in 2010 to a up and coming EVO 4G (wimax). I was very impressed with Android for a good period of time. But after the new car smell wore off the glitchy os, and Bad battery revealed itself. I had to download app killers to help with my battery which didn't do anything. So when I got the news that Sprint would be finally getting the iPhone 4S, I was ecstatic. I would be downgrading from a 4.3 screen to a 3.5, 4G to 3G. But I would be getting a all Round better phone. I was so pleased with the 4S I decided to get the iphone 5. The iphone 5 was a complete total waste of money. The only upgrade was half a inch and LTE which should of been on the 4S. Exactly the same experience on the 4S. After looking at my friends S3 I was completely blown away on the cool features and the progress of the Android software since the EVO 4G. But another friend showed me his note 2 and I was trained by Apple to say "that phone is too big" but after 5 minutes, my iphone 5 was too small. The innovation with the stylus and the pop out video is a serious game changer. I think if Apple didn't spend so much time suing companies and more time on Innovation I would be staying with Apple. But I think Apple knows they have a "cult" following and know they don't have to try as hard cause fan boys would buy anything with a apple logo on it. Hopefully the next iphone will be more revolutionary but until then. I'll be back in the Android camp.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
I really really want to get a note 2. I'm just not sure if its a big enough upgrade from the s3 I have.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
My friend upgraded from an S3 (international) to a Note 2 so I can ask him about his experience and get back to you if you like?

Yes that would be great thanks. I'm assuming he also has an international note 2. If so do you know if there is a difference between the international note 2 and the American note 2 like there was with the s3?

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
Android has some programs that do that pop up video stuff the gs3 and note unfortunately I forgot the name of the program.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
I've noticed it's popular to say that Samsung's software is subpar. And I can kind of see that with the original touchwiz in the Galaxy S, but I think with the Note 2, they seem to be the only phone manufacturer that are adding innovative features in their phones. The way you could interact with the stylus were really impressive.

I wish it was a bit cheaper off contract though.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012

That's it and supervideo or something like that does it as well. I miss android I might go back soon. I have sprint so the only option ill consider is the note 2.

When I bought my 5 a couple people wanted to trade for gs3 but I said nope.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I've noticed it's popular to say that Samsung's software is subpar. And I can kind of see that with the original touchwiz in the Galaxy S, but I think with the Note 2, they seem to be the only phone manufacturer that are adding innovative features in their phones. The way you could interact with the stylus were really impressive.

I wish it was a bit cheaper off contract though.

I like the LG feature QSlide http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM4dFVzpRFk

That's it and supervideo or something like that does it as well. I miss android I might go back soon. I have sprint so the only option ill consider is the note 2.

When I bought my 5 a couple people wanted to trade for gs3 but I said nope.

You could also get the HTC Droid DNA.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Pretty much the same experience and thoughts after I purchased and returned the iPhone 5 and bought the Note II. Couldn't be happier.

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
USA
What can Apple do to innovate? They don't care because their phones are still selling like hot cakes?

Eddie Bombay

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2011
Really don't want to leave my S3 for the Note 2 especially with premium suite right around the corner. Just got jelly bean on my S3

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Really don't want to leave my S3 for the Note 2 especially with premium suite right around the corner. Just got jelly bean on my S3

I think an SIII + Premium suite update almost = Note 2 already, doesn't it? I mean, feature wise....

bluthndr

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2012
Meh

Galaxy Note 2 vs iPhone (in reality - I own both): Note 2 is a great small tablet, but a so-so smart PHONE - it seems everything I want to do with the phone part, other than store basic contacts, requires some app or workaround and a bunch of time and effort make right.

Want to play your "free digital copy" from the movie you just bought? Nope, not on android.

Can't find a way to use different tones for text/email/phonecalls/vm/etc so I don't have to pick up and look at my phone 100+ times a day.

The "great battery life" is about the same as my iphone (1 day-ish). It is a little better, but I still have to plug it in every night because it won't go through 2 days, so from a usability stand point it's the same.

Faster and less laggy, yes, but at the cost of phone usability/ease of use (at least compared to iphone). I didn't buy it to play games anyways.

The S-Pen is cool and useful, but not a deal maker or breaker.

I got the Note 2 for the bigger screen because I read a lot, and it is nice for that, but it won't play videos unless I buy from Google or made them myself apparently, unless they are downloaded from intall_me_a_virus.com, so the video portion is not great.

The camera takes much better pictures, but the "best pic" and "best face" programs are not right there.

Although there are a lot of features in the phone, it is not intuitive. I am reasonably tech-savvy and have to search google or read through info to figure out how to make a feature work. Fine if you are a teen, unemployed, or student. Not fine when I have work to do and a full time job.

Yes it works pretty good, but from an ex-iphone user, it feels more like a gimicky tech toy with lots of switches and features than a device to steamline communication and research like my iphone experience was.

The biggest discussion topic - the size and one-hand usability, is a total non issue. I am 6'2" 220 lbs, and it fits fine in any pocket. It does not require any conscious effort to operate vs my iphone - it is pretty much the same there for me. I will say, it really is too big for a belt clip and does not fit on one well. Mine made it about 5 days and it broke off after many close attempts.

Unless this thing gets easier to use soon (I am hoping it is just learning the new system), I will be wishing I kept my iPhone. Just posting for those curious. The "next big thing" has been pretty underwhelming so far.

Just my 2 cents.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Galaxy Note 2 vs iPhone (in reality - I own both): Note 2 is a great small tablet, but a so-so smart PHONE - it seems everything I want to do with the phone part, other than store basic contacts, requires some app or workaround and a bunch of time and effort make right.

Want to play your "free digital copy" from the movie you just bought? Nope, not on android.

Can't find a way to use different tones for text/email/phonecalls/vm/etc so I don't have to pick up and look at my phone 100+ times a day.

The "great battery life" is about the same as my iphone (1 day-ish). It is a little better, but I still have to plug it in every night because it won't go through 2 days, so from a usability stand point it's the same.

Faster and less laggy, yes, but at the cost of phone usability/ease of use (at least compared to iphone). I didn't buy it to play games anyways.

I got the Note 2 for the bigger screen because I read a lot, and it is nice for that, but it won't play videos unless I buy from Google or made them myself apparently, unless they are downloaded from intall_me_a_virus.com, so the video portion is not great.

The camera takes much better pictures, but the "best pic" and "best face" programs are not right there.

Although there are a lot of features in the phone, it is not intuitive. I am reasonably tech-savvy and have to search google or read through info to figure out how to make a feature work. Fine if you are a teen, unemployed, or student. Not fine when I have work to do and a full time job.

Yes it works pretty good, but from an ex-iphone user, it feels more like a gimicky tech toy with lots of switches and features than a device to steamline communication and research like my iphone experience was.

The biggest discussion topic - the size and one-hand usability, is a total non issue. I am 6'2" 220 lbs, and it fits fine in any pocket. It does not require any conscious effort to operate vs my iphone - it is pretty much the same there for me. I will say, it really is too big for a belt clip and does not fit on one well. Mine made it about 5 days and it broke off after many close attempts.

Unless this thing gets easier to use soon (I am hoping it is just learning the new system), I will be wishing I kept my iPhone. Just posting for those curious. The "next big thing" has been pretty underwhelming so far.

Just my 2 cents.

Yeah it sucks. You'll need to pull the DRM off the digital copy to make it work. Just another step, pretty easy though. If its a 20th century fox movie you can use the app fox digital copy to watch digital copies on android devices...free app...

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005

Just my 2 cents.

I really doubt you even have a Note II.
You created a new account today and this is your first post?
If you really had a note, you would not have all those negative feedback and to say that the battery is about the same as an iPhone? You have got to be nuts.

Most posts I've read from every new Note II buyer has been very positive.
You on the other hand had mostly negative comments.
I'm not saying there are negatives to the phone but you really seem like a troll.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
Note 2 is amazing iPhone 5 is tiny.

I spent a great deal of time choosing between these two phones and now that I've gone with the Note I really don't know how I could have managed with the iPhone. Typing/reading was just too hard. Just what I think though. Being big does have downsides but the positives more than make up for them.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
What can Apple do to innovate? They don't care because their phones are still selling like hot cakes?
Apple does seem to be coasting along & profit taking. Something they've earned the right to do. However they may find it's a very poor choice since catching up can be hard to do. A self selling product only stays that way for so long before it falls out of fashion. Apparently Apple truly believes they know better than anyone. Another dangerous assumption. One things for sure, there's some real competition out their now, it will be an interesting year ahead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.