Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luxem82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2012
Hi everyone,

Trying to decide which laptop to go with has been a bit maddening. I thought the cMBP 13” i7 might be my best choice. I'd use the laptop for web development (code editor, multiple browsers, Parallels running simultaneously), photo editing, some “casual” video editing, and the usual lean-back (sitting on couch) streaming, browsing, etc. No plans for gaming.

I'd like the machine to last 5+ years, which is why I picked cMBP (user upgradable) with the i7 config (more future-proof?), and the super drive will see some occasional action. I prefer the 13” form factor versus the 15”.

I'd really like to go with SSD from the start, and I thought about purchasing the base i7 with the 750 HDD, and then swapping it out right away with something like a OCZ 256GB Vertex 4. I need some more external storage as well, and considered putting the stock 750 GB drive in an enclosure and using it that way. Or should I just go with Apple's 128 GB SSD option and not mess with opening a new machine right away? Trying to be somewhat economical, but maybe it's not worth the hassle...

Any advice or suggestions is appreciated, thanks.

Mac Write

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2012
Vancouver British Columbia
Question
How much will you go out with your MBP? What do you currently have?
When you say you want it to last 5+ years, Do you mean up to date with current software (example running the latest Mac OS in 5 years)?
One idea if you don't mind having to have your external hard drive plugged in all the time, is to get the 128GB SSD and store your apps and OS on that and then put your home folder on your external HD. The problem with this, is that if it's not connected a new user home folder will be created at the mount point for your external HD (/Volumes/externalhd/) if you try to login without the drive connected.

If you do go the external route, if I am not mistaken, Time Machine won't back up externally connected hard drives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.