Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
I need some advice. I've seen people say they're running iOS 6 on iPod Touch 4 and it's running fine. I'm having issues and wondering what to do

1) Major lag, literally scrolling through music is lagging followed by crashing
2) Safari instantly crashes (odd because it never did before and now it is)
3) Any type of I messaging sucks because messages that come in are so slow and choppy I have to restart

I've done 2 clean restores and set up as new. What's going on??????

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
i have an iPod touch 4G running iOS 6 and whilst i do experience the occasional lag here and there, it works pretty well since the latest update (6.0.1).

not even the app store crashes as it used to.

not sure what the issue with your device could be. i have around 100 apps and 600 music files - its not a lot; and i've read that having too many apps and insanely large music collections can have an adverse effect on your iPods performance.

burgundyyears

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Might be a hardware problem. I had some issues on my 4G with the App Store with 6.0 (very crashy), but 6.0.1 has been fine. Actually less laggy than 5.1 for me. I haven't had to restore as new either.

touchipods

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012
Do not update to iOS 6 on touch 4g. You will regret it. Here is why:

If interested in the free ram usage on my iPod touch 4g:
iOS 6.0: 80mb

iOS 5.1.1: 140mb
IOS 4.3.2: 137 mb
(Took along time to downgrade and restore back up to iOS 6)
I got the average ram after a respring and after clearing the memory 3 times but iOS 6 couldn't free the memory so average couldn't get a little boost like other iOS versions. I got the free ram numbers from sbsettings and sbsettings is not fully compatible with iOS 6 so that might of been a factor.

I defiantly noticed the lack of ram in apps. It's the first iOS version where stock apps crashed on me. Settings and the app store crashed 5 minutes in. (I always restore when I upgrade so that is not the problem)
I hope I gave you some insight what is going on with iOS 6.
I might update you guys later with better results when sbsettings is compatible with iOS 6.

I doubt it changed much with 6.0.1 firmware. Hopefully 6.1 makes device smooth with more free RAM and some new features for once. Although 6.1 beta's have been lame.

iOS4 was smooth throughout. iOS 5.0 and 5.0.1 was a laggy crashing mess on touch 4g until 5.1 made it smooth again. 5.1.1 brought back some of the crashing though which I'm currently on.

Honestly iOS6 offered nothing really new or exciting (Passbook literally could've been an app in the App Store like Podcast). Do Not Disturb and Panaroma could've also been a minor update for 5.2 (like the camera icon shortcut was added in 5.1). I also dislike some of the layout changes:

-Music app. In iOS6 everything is white so it is painful to look at.

-App Store and Itunes. iOS6 layout is bad because you can't see the rating (# of stars) unless you click on the app. Also searching is worse because it only shows a few at a time. So can't quickly scroll lesser known apps or underrated ones.

-Apple Maps. Although it works decent in US, worldwide is a bit of a mess. Not having Street View or transit info is less features. However once Google finishes the Google Map App (and Apple allows it) this 'controversy' should die down.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
My iPod Touch 4G will be staying on 5.1.1 for the rest of its life, and that's the best possible measure. No compelling reason to put iOS 6 on it for me.:rolleyes:

Outrun1986

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
My iPod touch 4g only had 10mb of free ram according to a system monitor app I was running, and only that app. This is nothing and is barely enough for an app. I had constant app crashes and the music player would do nothing but lag. This device is basically not usable on iOS. As for how much I had on the iPod I had at least 8gb free storage on a 32gb iPod. As for having too much stuff on the device I bought the device to use it not to run 1-2 apps. If I can't use it then it becomes pointless to even own it.

Outrun1986

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
Because I can fill 2 iPods easily and I can listen to music while I use apps on the other. You can't listen to music and use apps at the same time on an iPod since the apps make noise and interrupt the music. This resulted in me listening to almost no music since I am constantly running apps on my device.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Because I can fill 2 iPods easily and I can listen to music while I use apps on the other. You can't listen to music and use apps at the same time on an iPod since the apps make noise and interrupt the music. This resulted in me listening to almost no music since I am constantly running apps on my device.

I "on the other hand" think that in your case, Ipad would be more suited.

Games and web browsing on ipad. Ipod touch 4 for music, video, light gaming.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
My iPhone 4 lags a bit but nothing major (running iOS 6). Just remember the iPod touch 4 gen was not designed for ios 6 so you might have a few issues in regards to lag. But all in all nothing huge imo and if you have problems that seem major might be more then the software you might have a hardware issue. If you are still under warranty I don't see why apple wouldn't take care of your iPod. Just something to think about.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
iOS 6 is optimized for individual specific device, so if you properly installed it, it should be alright. However, it will still lag in certain areas, and not as fast as the latest generation as well.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
iOS 6.1 is reportedly supposed to make the iPhone 4, 4s and 4th gen touch much snappier.

How do you know? I don't see it in the changelog, and with every new iOS update, there's always bound to be people who said the new update made their phone "snappier"... :rolleyes:

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
The source escapes me but I know I saw it somewhere! Lol and it was at least a somewhat credible source. As in it wasn't a forum post. It was a website giving the run down of ios 6.1

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
The source escapes me but I know I saw it somewhere! Lol and it was at least a somewhat credible source. As in it wasn't a forum post. It was a website giving the run down of ios 6.1

I think we will have to see when 6.1 actually come out.

However, new update are mostly focused to fix problems of new device rather than fixing the lag of older ones. Apple would encourage people to buy new device.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
So Apple screwed you over and you bought from them again???? Why????? Apple ruined my iPad, and that was the last time as I switched to a Nexus.

Apple forced you to upgrade to iOS 6 without allowing you to check online to see what other users had been saying did they? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.