Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
Steve Jobs said it would be easier for Apple to double its market share, than it would be for Microsoft to double its market share.

What Steve Jobs did was create really great products that people wanted when be came back as CEO of Apple. However, it seems lately, the iPhone/iOS platform is getting mundane. Times to get things rolling again.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
What Steve Jobs did was create really great products that people wanted when be came back as CEO of Apple. However, it seems lately, the iPhone/iOS platform is getting mundane. Times to get things rolling again.

Heads rolled in the past few months. :cool:

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
Have you even BEEN to China? Most of the country most assuredly does not live like that. A lot do, but not most. Even a small city in China has a population over a million.
Having googled: currently rural vs. urban population in (Mainland) China is approximately 50/50 -- so: about half live like that.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
2 million sold in a country of 1.4b people isn´t that high. But I think its a suitable number for such an expensive phone as apple sells. Android is sold on a lot of cheap products. People sort of forget that apple makes high quality and design products that isn´t really aimed at the average user (or at least it shouldnt be). All apple products are made for the upper middle class and up. THe fact that so many walks around with an iphone today is really amazing, a lot of people must have really struggled to save up for that phone....which also proves that apple has managed to dig deep into poor pockets for their expensive products...which is impressive in a way. It´s gonna be interesting to see if the day comes when Foxconn workers walk around with an iphone each, which they saved up for over a long period of time.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
$850/$975/$1100

3G contracts in China start at $7 a month for 150mb 50min and go up from there with the most expensive plan costing $140 a month. Anything you use in excess of that costs $0.05 per MB and $0.025 per minute. Text messages are usually free on contracts.

Here are the iPhone specific plans:
http://3g.10010.com/3gindex/3gfee/iPhone_plan.html
Here are the subsidies for various contracts:
http://iphone.10010.com
100 RMB = 16 USD

So the person who was posting that there were huge give-aways to incent iPhone sales in China was ignoring the fact that ATT/Sprint/VZ each "give-away" $450 of incentive on each iPhone sold....I doubt the goodies given in China approach this level of incentive.

Vinamra

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
And most of the Chinese population live in conditions like this:

rural-village-in-china.jpg

The mountain in the background looks like one giant roller coaster to me :p :D

zukernik

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2010
Hong Kong
So the person who was posting that there were huge give-aways to incent iPhone sales in China was ignoring the fact that ATT/Sprint/VZ each "give-away" $450 of incentive on each iPhone sold....I doubt the goodies given in China approach this level of incentive.

Prices for a 16gb with a 2 year contract in RMB:

66/month 4299 phone
96/month 3999 phone
126/month 3599 phone
156/month 3299 phone
186/month 2999 phone
226/month 2599 phone
286/month 1899 phone
386+/month free phone

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
And they want to rush out a 5S?

Madness. Iphone 5 is a massive upgrade over the previous Iphones and could easily sell what the Iphone 4 managed.
Massive upgrade lol. Maybe for u, maybe for u...

SleepyCasper

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2012
800 million out of 1.35 billion people are relatively poor peasants or workers. I say the number is very impressive given the recent report about Android's 90%+ market share in China. Back here in Macrumors a lot of people were bashing Apple in the other thread about the non-existence of waiting lines outside Apple Stores in China :D;).

The major factor for Android so popular in China is because they are cheap. You could easily get one Android handset in less than 120 USD in China. As many people stated the fact that majority of mainland China people only earning tiny salary. So, as only Android is providing cheap smartphone, it could easily take high penetration rate.

Moreover, a non-official fact that Android is easier for pirated software while iPhone (especially latest IOS 6 devices) is almost impossible. Only some rich people or people who don't mind to pay for apps do find the iPhone good.

I know quite some friends living in mainland and when I asked why they choose Android, they offer me the same answer - "All sofware are "free" "

pinwanger

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2007
A restaurant worker can afford an iPhone5, are you kidding? Have you been to China and see a typical restaurant in small towns and outside of Beijing and Shanghai center? They are lucky to afford a regular smart phone.

----------

No use talking to trolls. :D They won't let facts get in the way.

Why do everyone assume I am kidding, I was born and raised in China.

Let's do the math here, a restaurant worker can rake in about $2000 yuan + bonus a month. All of his or her living expenses (food + housing) are covered by the restaurant (typical practice). With no taxes on those money, a person can save up to $24000 yuan + bonus annual. That's about 4 grand in the banks or gadgets.

Now keep in mind I am only talking about a restaurant worker here. Though it is true about what you said regarding rural restaurants, but the majority of restaurants are not there.

Last edited:

KiiD

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Chicago, IL
Care to provide a reference for that claim since it seems highly unlikely to be true.

Actually it took Samsung a little less than 2 months to hit 10 million which is the fastest selling Andriod smartphone so no need to compare another.. It's Arch nemesis (iphone5) however, hit 5 million (half) in just the first weekend. Although it was predicted to hit 6mil it still is record breaking (It's Predecessor the iPhone 4S hit 4mil and it's opening weekend) and yes I have a reference. Or u can look up the hundreds of links saying the same thing on other search engines if u like #
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/samsung/9419878/Samsung-Galaxy-S3-breaks-10-million-sales.html

http://money.cnn.com/2012/09/24/technology/apple-iphone-5-sales/index.html

SleepyCasper

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2012
Check out the median (as in 50th percentile) in personal wealth before updating. The ones living in the Foxconn dorms are probably above that.

Totally agreed, also, it depends on location. Workers in ShenZhen Foxconn may earn like 500-600 USD in average monthly while other Foxconn factories may only earn half of that.

pinwanger

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2007
Nonsense ! I helped set up a software development center in 2 China cities. And invested in a friend's restaurant there. This is definitely not true even in the richest Chinese cities.

Have you ever been to China? last time I went, everyone and their mother had a smart phone and I wasn't even in the richest Chinese cities.

apesta

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2010
I just don't get why a lot of people need to compare android phones to iPhone. There are way more cell phone companies that uses android os while IOS is exclusive to just apple. Obviously the amount of Android users will outnumber the IOS. I would love to see whats the best weekend sales figure for Samsung Galaxy s3 was.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
The major factor for Android so popular in China is because they are cheap. You could easily get one Android handset in less than 120 USD in China. As many people stated the fact that majority of mainland China people only earning tiny salary. So, as only Android is providing cheap smartphone, it could easily take high penetration rate.

Moreover, a non-official fact that Android is easier for pirated software while iPhone (especially latest IOS 6 devices) is almost impossible. Only some rich people or people who don't mind to pay for apps do find the iPhone good.

I know quite some friends living in mainland and when I asked why they choose Android, they offer me the same answer - "All sofware are "free" "

Even in Hong Kong, people like to say that everything is free for Android.

----------

Totally agreed, also, it depends on location. Workers in ShenZhen Foxconn may earn like 500-600 USD in average monthly while other Foxconn factories may only earn half of that.

Minimum wage in Shenzhen is CNY1600 (USD256).

unlinked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Ireland
and yes I have a reference. Or u can look up the hundreds of links saying the same thing on other search engines if u like ��

References for the truth are usually easy enough to find but I was wondering where he got the less optimistic than reality sgs3 figures from.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
China is a Germany or UK attached to a dirt poor country of over 1 billion. Unless Apple releases a $99 phone (unsubsidized) they will get Western European sales results from China.

What?...."China is a Germany or UK attached to a dirt poor country"....eh?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.