Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elliebeth21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
Has anyone experienced any eye sight problems on the iPad 2? I recently got a 2012 iPad 2 and loved everything about it except the irritating eye pain that would inevitably occur from using it for more than 10 minutes. Now I'm using an iPad 4, and while the screen is much easier to look at.... It is awfully heavy. I am considering an iPad Mini, but I'm a bit afraid of the eye strain horror stories. Could somebody who has used all 3 chime in and give me any feedback as to which iPad is the least problematic of the three?

Last edited:

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Probably because it doesn't have retina. But I haven't had any issues with mine, does it matter what year they were created? I assumed 2012 was the year for iPad 3's and iPad 2's were being phased?

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Personally I have never experienced any eye strain and I have owned every iPad revision. The issue could well be with your own eyes as you have used both retina and non-retina iPads. Perhaps you should stick to e-ink displays for a while and see if the problem goes away. Eye test perhaps?

elliebeth21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
I was given a iPad 1 that I've never had any eye trouble with yet. I went for the iPad 2 because I knew it would be lighter and more powerful..... But it drove my eyes nuts. I didn't expect that at all, since this has never happened with the iPad 1....

elliebeth21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
I'm well aware of the brightness issue. I even did a test with inverting the colors. A minute after I invented the colors, my eyes felt much better. But I like to paint and draw with the iPad.... So that is not a long term solution.

It seems to me the panels are different in the 2012 iPad 2 model. I get no eyesore/burning using the iPad 1, Macbook Pro 2011, and my iPhone 3GS.

I guess what I'm asking - was my experience unusual with the iPad 2? Should i try another or buy a mini? The iPad 4 is fine but the weight is definitely significant.

Last edited:

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
if the ipad 2 gives you eye strain, don't even think about a mini....a family member has the 2 and I felt it was easier to read text on than the mini I had. I now have the 4 and love it..

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
Might think about having your eyes checked if you are having eye pain. That doesn't sound normal whatever you're looking at.

For whatever it's worth, I've been using my iPad 2 daily for hours since it arrived after launch day with no vision issues.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Has anyone experienced any eye sight problems on the iPad 2? I recently got a 2012 iPad 2 and loved everything about it except the irritating eye pain that would inevitably occur from using it for more than 10 minutes. Now I'm using an iPad 4, and while the screen is much easier to look at.... It is awfully heavy. I am considering an iPad Mini, but I'm a bit afraid of the eye strain horror stories. Could somebody who has used all 3 chime in and give me any feedback as to which iPad is the least problematic of the three?
Awfully heavy is a bit exaggerated, it's about ~10% heavier than your iPad 2. Yes it's heavy but it's still lighter than iPad 1. And we're just talking about 660 gram :rolleyes:
If you couldn't accept iPad 2's screen I don't see how can you accept the Mini's screen... it just has a bit better PPI but everything is smaller.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
I recently got a 2012 iPad 2 and loved everything about it except the irritating eye pain that would inevitably occur from using it for more than 10 minutes.

Does this even make sense, eyestrain after 10 minutes? I mean there is no flicker issue with the ipad2, what could cause discomfort after 10 minutes? Who knows? Any way, mini doesn't sound like the answer.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
think that you might need to see eye doctor, maybe u are having the non-retina allergy.

topic is over the edge, man. Non-retina ipad hurt your eyes and retina ipad is too heavy then maybe stick with notebook or sumting. really nonsense.

elliebeth21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
Just for follow up.... I've tried the retina, mini, and iPad 2 (gsm and wifi). The only iPad that didn't bother my eyes was the ipad 1. Which I guess I will stick with for now. I don't know what makes it special. I guess the screens that Apple uses now are a bit different than in the past.

Too bad because all of the iPads themselves are very cool.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I have dry eye syndrome and experience eye burning when using my computer at work. I have used the iPad 1, 2, 3 and now 4th generation with no problems. The retina screen on my iPad 4 which has a "warmer" white screen has been the easiest on my eyes to date. I would stick with the iPad 4 despite the weight. I think you would have trouble with the mini considering the smaller font size and lower resolution. I keep looking at the mini because I would like to have one, but when I see that screen I know it just wouldn't work for me.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan

It's a tenth of a pound heavier. You can't handle that?

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Your eyes need to be checked seriously...

Heavy you say, do you have a physical issue i.e. gout, arthritis etc.
Are you over 65+

Folks who answer yes to the above tend to have these sort of complaints about ipads and other tablet of simular sizes. It may mean that tablets aren't for you, maybe you need to stick with laptops and desk tops.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
I think you'll be happy with the mini. It may have the same resolution as the 2 but its done in a smaller screen therefore it's a tighter pixel density.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.