Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
California
Hi,

Not trying to start a flame wars here. I really am wondering.

Which would you recommend buying and why?

kadillac

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2012
The iPhone unless you want a big phone. Samsung took every feature the iPhone had and ghettoized it (S-Voice). Blantantly ripped it. It has NFC but who ever uses that?

taptic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
California
But doesn't everyone keep saying that the GS3 has better specs? Is this true and doe it matter?

kadillac

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2012
But doesn't everyone keep saying that the GS3 has better specs? Is this true and doe it matter?

Well, better specs as in having a larger screen. We can't tell with the processor whether it's better. Doesn't really matter, it's Android, and as a Nexus 7 owner, Android still lags and it is frustrating. The iPhone and iOS work seamlessly, I feel like Android holds the devices back.

Learylvr.

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2011
That's up to you . If you really can't decide, do a search on this forum for Samsung S3 and IPhone 5. This very question is asked every week on this forum. There is all the info your asking in those threads... Take a look. Good luck...

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Sigh

My friend who bought his Galaxy SIII the same day I bought my iPhone 5 has had repeated problems. Anecdotally his phone randomly reboots, randomly shuts down, all by itself as well and seems to be very erratic in its operation. He had buyers remorse two weeks into ownership. Which is too bad - the screen seems very nice for a droid phone.

Fed

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
It depends:

1. Feature-rich, good build quality, slightly clunky interface but nonetheless top of the line? (Samsung)
  2. Dated technology, the BEST build quality and super-fast (yet same-y) interface? (Apple)
I use an iPhone, buying a Samsung next.

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
It depends:

1. Feature-rich, good build quality, slightly clunky interface but nonetheless top of the line? (Samsung)
  2. Dated technology, the BEST build quality and super-fast (yet same-y) interface? (Apple)
I use an iPhone, buying a Samsung next.

Samsung good build quality? Apple dated technology?

Last edited by a moderator:

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I have an iPhone 5 and my wife has a GS3. Jelly Bean gives iOS a run for it's money. Actually I like Jelly Bean as much as iOS. However you can't best Apple's hardware compared to the competition. The GS3 seems cheap compared to the iPhone hardware wise.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
I've been considering it as well, but there are a lot of apps and compatibility that the iPhone has that I don't know if I could live without. However, everyone compares the iPhone to the GS3, but what about the Nexus 4? It seems to be getting a lot of rave and it doesn't have to deal with the carrier/maker bloatware. Plus it comes unlocked. The only real downside to it is the storage space options offered. I think, if you were considering an Android device, that the GS3 isn't the only one that can compete.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I've been considering it as well, but there are a lot of apps and compatibility that the iPhone has that I don't know if I could live without. However, everyone compares the iPhone to the GS3, but what about the Nexus 4? It seems to be getting a lot of rave and it doesn't have to deal with the carrier/maker bloatware. Plus it comes unlocked. The only real downside to it is the storage space options offered. I think, if you were considering an Android device, that the GS3 isn't the only one that can compete.

The Nexus 4 looks great if you're with a GSM carrier like AT&T though. A Verizon customer wouldn't be able to use the Nexus 4.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
Hi,

10x better

1) Ecosystem:
Fact 1: Better and more exclusive apps. Better and more exclusive games.
Fact 2: Non-exclusive apps and games come out first on the iPhone, in most times months before Android.

Generally speaking, all big and small design houses and game studios either don't give a ratsass about Android or treat it like a second-rate citizen. May be that will change in 5 years but this is how it is now.

2) Security:
Stricter App Store review process and 10 times less malware.

3) Support:
You will be waiting very very long for that new shiny Android update that Google has just rolled out. On iOS? You get the latest and greatest a few seconds later.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. I could talk about things like elegance, ease of use, details etc but this is all subjective. A nerd for example might not care or appreciate that but the first 3 points I listed are hard facts.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
10x better

1) Ecosystem:
Fact 1: Better and more exclusive apps. Better and more exclusive games.
Fact 2: Non-exclusive apps and games come out first on the iPhone, in most times months before Android.

Generally speaking, all big and small design houses and game studios either don't give a ratsass about Android or treat it like a second-rate citizen. May be that will change in 5 years but this is how it is now.

2) Security:
Stricter App Store review process and 10 times less malware.

3) Support:
You will be waiting very very long for that new shiny Android update that Google has just rolled out. On iOS? You get the latest and greatest a few seconds later.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. I could talk about things like elegance, ease of use, details etc but this is all subjective. A nerd for example might not care or appreciate that but the first 3 points I listed are hard facts.

The apps on iOS are more polished for sure. The app icons on the GS3 are not uniform in size which makes app screen look weird compared to iOS app screen. My PNC Bank app is smaller and other apps as well.

If I was going Android it would be a pure vanilla one direct from Google.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Well, you're absolutely kidding yourself if you think the GS3 feels better in your hand and has better build quality than the iPhone 5.

Last edited by a moderator:

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
This is the wrong forum for asking the question. This is a Apple based forum. Not a smartphone based forum. Anything other than the iPhone is bashed upon.

Well, you're absolutely kidding yourself if you think the GS3 feels better in your hand and has better build quality than the iPhone 5.

I think the S3 feels better in my hand, but I have man hands. Do you really think that everyone on the planet has the same size hands? If you think that anything placed on someone's hand feels exactly the same when placed in another person's hand, then you are kidding yourself. I like the size. The iPhone in an OtterBox was good also but still felt small in my hand. I had all the iPhones on launch day except the 5. Still have a couple in the family. I was ready for a truly larger screen for my use. My wife was not. But she sold her 5 and went back to her 4S because of all the issues.

----------

The apps on iOS are more polished for sure. The app icons on the GS3 are not uniform in size which makes app screen look weird compared to iOS app screen. My PNC Bank app is smaller and other apps as well.

If I was going Android it would be a pure vanilla one direct from Google.

I honestly never noticed that. Just looked at mine to see if you were right. LOL Never bothered me. Might now, not sure.

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
You did not specify your carrier. You might be interested to know my experience. I was using a year old Samsung Galaxy s2. After Neville Ray, CTO of T-Mobile announced Minneapolis is now reframed with 1900 MHz frequency compatible with 3G on an iPhone 5. When App,e started selling unlocked GSM iPhone 5, I bought. My experience was horrendous due to the spotty and weak 3G coverage by T-mobile. I had missed and dropped calls not to mention very slow Internet. So after 2 weeks I retired my iPhone 5 until T-mobile's coverage improves here in Rogers, MN. I would warn anyone considering to buy an IPhone 5 for use on T-mobile's network. You are better off on AT&T or Verizon. T-mobile is not yet ready though they claim 23 cities are now ready for iPhone 5 covering 100 million population.

Regarding Samsung and iPhone 5, the latter is clearly superior. As soon as I got the phone, my friends who did know I bought a new phone asked me if I bought a new car due to the low background noise. The phone is very smart. I only miss the Swype for typing.

Hi,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.