Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EPiCDiNGO

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2012
Can somebody PLEASE tell me someone is creating a way to run Windows from an external thunderbolt/USB3 SSD???
I have asked this question before and got mixed results, some say yes others say no I googled around and found out that apparently it is not possible unless you do some messing around with terminal and other things. It did sound complicated for me and as I am kind of new to OS X I decided against it for now and will just put up with slow booting from windows on a Fusion drive, that is unless I find a easy tutorial or guide for this somewhere. :apple: :(

aerobyravol

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
Switzerland
Sorry for this stupid question, but...

... with my 3TB Fusion Drive, I guess I won't have any issue to run Windows 32bit on a VM (VMWare), right?

jido

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2010
OK - thanks.

And once Apple has fixed bootcamp on 3TB HDD issue, do you know whether there's a way to migrate my (Fusion) VM on bootcamp?
Just copy your Windows disk to the new partition, then install the Bootcamp drivers.

In fact, don't the latest VMware and Parallels support graphic acceleration? You should be able to do at least /some/ gaming in a VM.

Or if you want to use Boot Camp right now, just partition your drive the right way (I saw posts on this forum with instructions).

You can also boot MacOSX from an external drive and Windows from the internal drive if you want.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
You mean, copy the vm ?
And how do I install Bootcamp drivers, then?
I guess, running my Mac, there are options to select the partition?

Copying won't work, I know you can import an existing windows machine into Parallels but exporting it?

It might be possible mounting the disk in OS X and then use Disk utility to restore that image to a bootcamp partition.

I did not respond to you before because I don't have Parallels so I can't give you advise on this, I do know though that you can not copy the image, that is pure nonsense and won't work.

Other's can probably answer this question better than me.

You could also do research yourself, for instance : MRoogle

jido

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2010
Copying won't work, I know you can import an existing windows machine into Parallels but exporting it?

It might be possible mounting the disk in OS X and then use Disk utility to restore that image to a bootcamp partition.

I did not respond to you before because I don't have Parallels so I can't give you advise on this, I do know though that you can not copy the image, that is pure nonsense and won't work.

Other's can probably answer this question better than me.

You could also do research yourself, for instance : MRoogle
Right, copying the image will not work. You need to copy Windows inside the image to the new partition. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
Windows 8 support and GPT support have nothing to do with each other.

Boot Camp will be updated with drivers for Win8, it will never be re-written to support GPT.
Why is GPT not supported? Not that knowledgeable with Windows 8.

mihai.ile

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2012
As replied on another thread, using the graphical interface probably no. But using the command line terminal I do not see one reason why it should not work really....
Delete the virtual fusion drive, create a windows partition on ssd and then create the fusion back using the remaining space on ssd and the hdd.

b0redom

macrumors regular
May 4, 2007
Well I'd probably just use the whole 128GB, and if I want to fusion it up use and external Thunderbolt SSD anyone see a problem with that?

Westacular

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2007
I really want you to be right.

However, I doubt Apple's commitment to Boot Camp. 3TB drives have been around since 2010. All 64-bit versions of Windows (except Win Server 2003) support booting from GPT. They have had 2+ years to develop a fix. At the very least, the configuration for the current model iMac has been set for 3-6 months. They couldn't get a Boot Camp update ready for release?

Apple used Boot Camp as bait during the PowerPC/Intel switch. Now they have far less motivation for providing their competitors operating system to run on their hardware.

Virtualization has improved dramatically. Excepting games, of course, VMWare and Parallels provide a good experience using Windows.

Finally, Apple realizes how small the user base is for Boot Camp. 17 million Macs sold in 2011. How many of those use Boot Camp? I would be shocked if it's 10%.

That's fair. Those are all good points, and it would be quite like Apple to decide that Boot Camp has run it's course and quietly let it die. I suppose one counterpoint is that Apple makes most of its money on the initial sale of the hardware, not from your use of OS X. It's incentivized to make the hardware as versatile as possible -- or at least, to appear that way. Keeping Boot Camp viable is still an attractive lure for switchers, even if most don't end up using it; this means they need to keep Boot Camp viable.

My guess is that six months to a year from now, we'll have a clearer picture of the future: either there will be updates, indicating continued support, or there won't be, and the slow death of Boot Camp will begin to set in (possibly with support dropped entirely in 10.9).

Fifemacuser

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
as above

But thats all I am going to say so dont ask :D

I ordered my new I mac yesterday and specifically asked on the phone about the 3tb bootcamp issue. Decided to go with 1tb fusion and buy an external drive if/when the need arises.

If They fix it before i take delivery i Will not be impresed. Will Probably send it Back and get The bigger drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.