Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010
Classic example of Stockholm syndrome. Freedom sucks! Only Apple cares for its users! Next you'll tell us you still use Apple Maps and that going somewhere random is better than getting to where you want to. LOL! Of course you can "choose" to use Google Maps that work, because Google has given you a real choice, but that would be wrong, because it's not what master Apple really wants.

Keep telling yourself that.

Now hurry back to your Google Mail and Google Maps running on Google Chrome via your ad-funded Google OS.

"Choice." You guys are hilarious.

----------

No Thanks, I will stick with my iPhone 5 and MacBook Pro, they work perfectly and they are very secure, you can keep the open source crud for those who want to play Russian Roulette

Love how Apple users buy the Apple BS: "Only if you pay a premium, and Apple choses which apps and features are most profitable for them, shall you be allowed to use it on your phone, because... er... of security."

Apple sure did you see you coming.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Dont bother, some people just like to type because they can.

I don't understand why some people feel the need to bash a product just because they don't like it.

Open source software is great imo, and the fact is. Google is the ONLY major player pushing open source software, and I think that's great that they are.

Android has really grown up.

Personally, I call out a product on its merits, not its brand name.

Personally? I think Android/Windows Phone/What We've Seen of Black Berry 10 is ahead of iOS in some pretty huge factors.

This is actually GOOD, Apple fired the head of iOS and put Ive in charge to overhaul iOS.

What does this mean for us? Better products, Microsoft, Google, RIM, compete with Apple, Apple starts to slip up as they have been with iOS, they fire the head, and get someone good in charge.

I don't know why people bash Apple, or Google, or Microsoft, or RIM mindlessly.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
No Thanks, I will stick with my iPhone 5 and MacBook Pro, they work perfectly and they are very secure, you can keep the open source crud for those who want to play Russian Roulette

Bingo. End of discussion. Apple doesn't dominate phones or computers, but they have the best complete environment.

Bantz

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2012
To be in the competition you have to invent something - you still have not invented any thing new, you simple copied Apple

Android Notifications say hello

----------

Yes, and Google is thrilled to enable that choice in hardware, just so long as you are locked into their ad-based services.

None of the Google apps on android have adverts. Ive never seen an add on my Android phone.

adamtore

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2011
Sweden
Android Notifications say hello

----------

None of the Google apps on android have adverts. Ive never seen an add on my Android phone.

I am looking at my three android phones, no ads here either. Can someone show me a screenshots of these ads people here speak of?

ggmissmolly

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2011
Lexington, KY
So did he end with "amen"? It was surely a prayer, not a fact. Google (Android) is headed down the same fragmented path as Microsoft has already nearly stepped off the end of. Why can't Google see the fallacy in allowing phone manufacturers fragmentation to crap Google's nest.

No control, no future...

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010
Only iPhone owners argue that their expensive phones should be controlled by a corporation, not themselves. Apple has become the parody of Big Brother from its own 1984 commercial.

As the man said:

Those who are willing to trade freedom for security deserve neither.

I don't live in a totalitarian state, so I don't want a totalitarian phone. Thank god for Google.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Well for sure. Chevy's sell better that Porsche. Does that mean Chevy is better?

Considering the similar cost in subsidized markets where the majority is built into the plan, I view the luxury car analogy as a very poor one. I doubt Apple would even subscribe to it. They make a very approachable device and use that to market to a very wide customer base. If their business model revolved around limited volume driven solely by large sales, the mac pro might get more attention:p.

kdarling

macrumors P6
So while you say search is not their major mobile revenue source, he merely stated that "iOS accounts for two thirds of their mobile search revenues."

If the author of the article knew that search was a minor part of overall mobile revenue, and that's all he used that figure for, it would be okay.

However, everyone (including the article author) mistakenly assumes that 2/3 of all of Google's mobile revenues came from iOS, and use that as a basis for his calculations about Android.

There are articles and comments all over the internet extrapolating incorrect information because they mistakenly think 1) that most of Google's mobile revenue is from search ads and 2) that most of Google's mobile revenue is from iOS. All from a sound bite that left out the rest of the story.

We might argue what fraction of Google's oft-touted "mobile run rate" is attributable to iOS versus Android, but the bottom line is that whatever this fraction might be, the top line itself simply isn't that big. (On the order of a billion or so per quarter.)

I agree.

If you want to argue that Google is recording billions (the only significant amount in the mobile OS business) of revenue directly attributable to Android, then kindly cite your source.

I beg your pardon. I never argued about that. My point had nothing to do with total revenue, only where it came from.

In the context of the discussion, I was referring to the fact that on a carrier where Android does not have a pricing advantage, AT&T, the iPhone represents 77% of smartphone activations.

That 77% includes used iPhones that were activated for the second or more time after being handed down or sold to make way for a newer model.

The number of used activations was reported as 11% last year for the 4S. I've seen it as high as 17% when a really new model comes out. So new iPhones (of all models) actually counted for more like 64%-69% of AT&T activations. Still very good.

Last edited:

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2008
Lets put this in perspective.

Each iOS user generates, for Apple, a minimum of $250 per year in revenue (ie. hardware sales, phone company kickbacks, iTunes purchases, ad kickbacks from Google, etc.).

Each Android user generates, maybe, $4.00 per year in ad sales for Google. (Note: Each iOS user generates more revenue for Google than that..)

If that is really Mr Schmidt's definition of "winning" - then either a) you aren't as smart as you appear to be or b) you are fibbing through your teeth.

as a consumer/end user, are you saying i should get excited because certain corporation is making huge profits? btw, do you get a dollar of those profits? ;) i dont get it how some people justify spending more money so that their beloved corporation makes more profit. whether google/apple, it doesn't matter.

i have no reason to get excited!

vicky07

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
May be Android is pretty winning the mobile war with Apple but for me it can never overtake it!!
As they Apple is Apple;)

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Lets put this in perspective.

Each iOS user generates, for Apple, a minimum of $250 per year in revenue (ie. hardware sales, phone company kickbacks, iTunes purchases, ad kickbacks from Google, etc.).

That AT&T revenue sharing model expired a long time ago. If you're an investor, I can see how this would matter to you. As a consumer this works against you. If carrying the iphone is expensive, it can potentially drive up plan costs and ETF fees. Where do you get the $4 per year figure anyway? Google previously suggested they make around $7 per user per year regardless of iOS or Android.

StrudelTurnover

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
Ok then, well...
After about six weeks of my boss trying to shop around and budget for multiple tablets for the office -- he uses droid personally, and prefers it to Windows 8 -- he finally decided to just get a couple iPad Minis. I showed him a really excellent stylus and app for note taking, which is always what he thought iOS was missing...

It was/is my job to get the devices to a point where our data will sync across services like Evernote and Google/Yahoo, regardless of the kind of device. I advised him we would be fine no matter which platform, because they are all imperfect for our needs and missing one piece of the puzzle regardless.* Ultimately I think he just wanted to give up deciding between so many droid options, and settle on one model that he knows he can buy more of six months from now. Also most of the users are students and the market share on campus is largely Apple, so there's no learning curve when our student staff turns over.

He misses PalmPilots. :D If some enterprising app developer tried to make an app that mimics the Palm's contacts manager, I think they would find great success.

*On droid Yahoo will not sync calendars. On iOS Gmail will not sync Contacts. On PC Outlook will not sync with any cloud service. On Windows 8 the Microsoft apps are not full-featured with Exchange servers... sigh. One has to imagine that IT folk try to keep ourselves employed by not making anything perfect. Did I miss that part of the initiation? :p

Last edited:

blitzkreig

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2011
So .. free beer vs. good beer... If you cater to the 47% I suppose free beer will win out all the time.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
Most of you here seem to miss an important point. You can be an Apple fan all you like (I'm not the least of them), but you have to recognize that the iPhone is simply playing too much on the "convenience" factor.

As much as I like Apple, I may simply get a Nexus 4 (that's supposed to be the best Android device so far) because the iPhone is grossly overpriced. I'm not kidding, just compare the latest iPod Touch with the iPhone 4S: same chip, same memory, same screen. Camera is better on the iPhone, though, and only the iPhone has cellular capability.

But the price difference is just too much: $299 for the iPod Touch (that's already a big premium, even for a finely engineered audio player), $599 for the iPhone 4S. I won't trust anyone telling that just cellular capability literally doubles the MSRP.

So Nexus 4 I may well go, since it's "only" $359, even is storage is half (16GB).

Arumik

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2012
Consumer

Google is all about tracking their users while Apple is about serving their users.

So, by selling cheap phone and open sourced Android, manufacturers can build products base on it with low R&D cost, helping google to distribute the OS as much as possible and ultimately be tracking everyone's behavior that's using these electronics. And by using cross referencing of the personal data, content analytic and image recognition of the data collected from these devices and services, google can someday know more about you than your parents. Or should i say, they already did?

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US

Now that's a bit close-minded. Android has come a long way. I use both iOS and Android in my daily life and while I still prefer iOS there are many things I like about my Nexus 4. The OS it's running is far from crud.

johnhope

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2009
LA
That guy not only stealed all Apple products, now is telling tons of lies about android.
Android is a full of crap that no one want to code for. You will have to code a different version for every other tablet of phone out there.
It's the mess.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Google is all about tracking their users while Apple is about serving their users.

So, by selling cheap phone and open sourced Android, manufacturers can build products base on it with low R&D cost, helping google to distribute the OS as much as possible and ultimately be tracking everyone's behavior that's using these electronics. And by using cross referencing of the personal data, content analytic and image recognition of the data collected from these devices and services, google can someday know more about you than your parents. Or should i say, they already did?

You know, people trade their kidneys if you give them a free phone. :p who cares about personal data. /s

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

You keep telling yourself that Apple is all about serving their users.

PS - Google isn't the company you should be afraid of - there are at least two more that know WAY more about every single detail of your life. And I'm not talking government agencies. I'm talking about public companies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.