Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
I'll be driving down to Philly for a football game and well I don't have a digital camera lol and I was thinking about taking pictures with my iPad but I don't want to look stupid. I haven't really taken pics outdoor so I don't know how good the camera is.
For those who do take pics outside, how good are they? Do you feel comfortable holding that big ipad?
Ipad 4th gen btw

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
yes, you will look stupid holding up your Ipad to take photos. I once saw a dude holding his ipad to take pictures at a concert and he ended up dropping it on da floor. Of course, people stepped on it to the rhythm of music and i dont think Apple to exchange u a new one.

Camera these days are so cheap, its even cheaper than your Ipad 4 smart cases so i suggest get one or use your phone camera.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I see people taking pictures with iPads ALL. DAY. LONG.

I work at Disney World and I'd say 3 out of 10 people are walking around, takin pictures with their iPad. At first it looked crazy but you get used to seeing it. Tablets are a common thing these days so people are reacting less to them.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I do it if I'm at a workshop or seminar and I'm taking notes with my iPad, and I want to integrate e.g. a photo of a power point slide or a diagram written on a flip chart into my notes. Then I take a quick snap shot of the slide/diagram and then integrate it into my notes. It's very convenient.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
I'll be driving down to Philly for a football game and well I don't have a digital camera lol and I was thinking about taking pictures with my iPad but I don't want to look stupid. I haven't really taken pics outdoor so I don't know how good the camera is.
For those who do take pics outside, how good are they? Do you feel comfortable holding that big ipad?
Ipad 4th gen btw

You won't look stupid at all. There are a few narrow minded people who have no self confidence to do it themselves who may tell you that you'll look stupid, but you won't. They are generally the same people who ask the question "I like the white iPhone, but I'm worried people will think I'm girly. What should I do?"

If you want to take photos with your iPad, go ahead. I do, admittedly not all the time, but I still do.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2012
If you stop living life for other people then you might not be bothered ...I think ;)

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
I really only use the iPad if I need the iPhone to be in the picture (for example, the "post a picture of your case" thread). The only other time I use the iPad camera is when I am already using the iPad and see something I need to take a picture of.

loaferkan

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2012
I have taken pictures. It's not a big deal these days. But more than taking pictures , I prefer taking videos with iPad.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
The photos are surprisingly clear for a 5mp camera (maybe because of the bigger screen?).

If you yourself don't feel stupid, then no one can make you feel it. Trust me, just hold your iPad firmly with both hands and snap away. :)

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
Ipad 4th gen btw

While I agree with those that say it is ok to take pictures with it, you need to ask yourself if the potential to damage your iPad (or have it stolen - you will be in Philly) is worth it as opposed to getting a cheap, maybe disposable, digital camera.

stuaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
I remember seeing people at the Olympics this year using iPads as cameras....looks silly but each to there own.

I have used mine but only inside and was for eBay (Photostream onto my mac). I would be more worried about ether dropping it, or storing it somewhere when not taking a photo - a phone/digi camera can go in your pocket....iPad 4...not so much!

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
I take pics with it all the time! iphoto is great for editing on the fly & I can have pics posted on all my social networks in an instant. Why not use all capabilities of a device that you've paid for?

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Be careful not to block other people's views while taking your pics.

Regards,
Tom

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
You won't look stupid at all. There are a few narrow minded people who have no self confidence to do it themselves who may tell you that you'll look stupid, but you won't. They are generally the same people who ask the question "I like the white iPhone, but I'm worried people will think I'm girly. What should I do?"

If you want to take photos with your iPad, go ahead. I do, admittedly not all the time, but I still do.

It's not how it looks, but if you bring a large iPad to a game, hold it up to take a pic during the best parts and then block a persons view behind you then you're gonna get told to put it away. I came to watch the event, not your iPad screen.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I work at Disney World and I see people taking pictures with their iPads all the time. It really looks silly to me. They have their arms extended out looking at a screen, other guests are looking at them strangely.

Personally I always felt that the iPad never really needed a rear camera, but the front facing one for facetime is fine. However, as someone else mentioned earlier if you were in a meeting or seminar I could see where taking a picture to incorporate in the notes would be useful.

Then again with Photography being both a hobby and a part of my job, I always felt that phone cameras were inadequate. Although cameras in recent phones like the iPhone/iPad or even the crappy androids have improved to the point they are about as good as the point and click compact digitals that are out there. I prefer an SLR. If I were going on vacation to a place like Disney World I wouldn't want to trust my vacation photos to a camera that is incorporated in a phone. or iPad.

Too each his own then.
Keep Calm and snap away

spin.doctor

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2011
It probably will look sill to a football crowd, but who cares...

As far as bringing the ipad, I would not hesitate. Many NFL stadiums (I am guessing you are going to the linc?) have in house networks you can connect to. For example, at Metlife Stadium, you can connect to their in house open wifi and with their app get live stats, scores, video replays and even watch different angles. The football purists hate this because people are now watching an iphone/ipad rather than the game, but who cares.

So it might serve even more purpose. Just my $0.02.

AmyK

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2010
I don't like taking photos with my iPad... I'll use my iPhone or my real camera. There is no way I would take my iPad to a football game camera or not and I'm a girl and we take everything with us.

TebWeb

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2010
PA
I used my iPad3 a lot for shooting photos & videos. I provided social media coverage of a few community events, and it worked great for that. I'm seeing more & more people out in the public using iPads to take photos. As others have said, tablets are fairly commonplace now. What I found interesting with crowds reacting to me using an iPad for video was how some had a "gee-whiz" reaction to it. I was told that people would be watching the screen over my shoulder as I shot. The other thing I noticed was that it was hard to get candid crowd reactions---If I was trying to shoot people looking at an exhibit, they would instinctively move out of the way thinking they were blocking my shot (they WERE my shot!). They could see me coming a mile away with the iPad. But for my purpose of uploading instantly to social media, it was the best tool for the job.

I wouldn't worry too much of "looking silly." It's becoming more common now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.