Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saggel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2012
Coventry, UK
Hello everyone,
I have a White MacBook Early 2008.
Will the kingston hyperx 3k work on my laptop?
I know many of you have installed Sata3 disks on older machines, so I thought I should ask first. I know I'll never see the max speeds of the disk on my machine though. Will it make any difference for me to go for this disk instead of an older and cheaper one?

THANK you all in advance for the help!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
That SSD will work fine, but like you mentioned, you won't see the advertised SATA III speeds. SATA is backwards compatible.

saggel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2012
Coventry, UK
Thank you so much for your answer!
If I use a "faster" disk in terms of read/write speeds will I get an overall faster experience or will it be the same anyway cause it's fragmented by the SataI?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thank you so much for your answer!
If I use a "faster" disk in terms of read/write speeds will I get an overall faster experience or will it be the same anyway cause it's fragmented by the SataI?

Your speeds are going to be held back so much by a SATA I connection, I don't see how SATA III SSD speeds are going to matter one bit. I would get the cheapest you can find and not worry about fast speeds.

saggel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2012
Coventry, UK
Your speeds are going to be held back so much by a SATA I connection, I don't see how SATA III SSD speeds are going to matter one bit. I would get the cheapest you can find and not worry about fast speeds.

So, last question... is it the same for me regardless the read/write speed?
I'll get the same results from a disk with 550/510 as I'd get from a disk with 210/180?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
So, last question... is it the same for me regardless the read/write speed?
I'll get the same results from a disk with 550/510 as I'd get from a disk with 210/180?

Yep... you will always be limited by the SATA 150MB/s cap.

jwm2

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2012
You'll only notice a difference on transferring large files, and most of the time the bottleneck there is due to other sources (i.e. usb, wireless network, etc).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.