Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sheetrock321

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
I want to add a song to a playlist.

Open up iTunes 11.0.1. First you have to make sure "Music" is selected (out of Music, Movies, TV Shows, Podcasts, Books, Apps).

Then You have to select "Playlist" in the menu bar (out of Songs, Albums, Artists, ect.)

Then click "Add to" in the upper right. And you have to MANUALLY BROWSE through your library and find the song and drag it to your playlist. WTF.

The other alternative is to search the Library, click on the song arrow and click on "Add to" then select the playlist.

Am I retarded, is there something I'm missing here? This used to be WAAAY easier.

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011

Open up iTunes 11.0.1. First you have to make sure "Music" is selected (out of Music, Movies, TV Shows, Podcasts, Books, Apps).

Then You have to select "Playlist" in the menu bar (out of Songs, Albums, Artists, ect.)

Then click "Add to" in the upper right. And you have to MANUALLY BROWSE through your library and find the song and drag it to your playlist. WTF.

The other alternative is to search the Library, click on the song arrow and click on "Add to" then select the playlist.

Am I retarded, is there something I'm missing here? This used to be WAAAY easier.

ScreenShot2012-12-14at105949PM_zps07227e44.png

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
Agreed. I can't see how anyone thinks iTunes is better without the sidebar. Prettier, maybe. But clearly less functional. Many things take more steps without the sidebar. I turned mine back on the first day (at least I tried the new way).

wcdamsch

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2011
Actually if you start dragging the playlists will appear on the right, sidebar works too.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Actually if you start dragging the playlists will appear on the right, sidebar works too.
This. ^^^^

Select some songs and start dragging them to the right side of iTunes. When you do that, the playlists will appear on the far right side.

sheetrock321

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
So what you're saying is, I am retarded. Haha, thanks for the easy fix!!

btw, without the sidebar, I CAN drag podcasts and my ipod window slides open, but i can't get it to work for any songs. weird, but doesn't really matter, I won't be using this silly interface. If it ain't broke...

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany

Why don't you just select one or multiple songs and hit "the right mouse button" (two finger tab on the trackpad)? Than among other things "add to playlist" appears.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Oh Em Gee...I had no idea about the sidebar being an option. Guess what I just enabled!

If there is an option to do something useful in the UI, and you are not aware of it, and others are not aware of it either, then some user interface designer has messed up. Report it as a bug. (iTunes -> iTunes menu -> "Provide iTunes feedback").

So what you're saying is, I am retarded. Haha, thanks for the easy fix!!

Absolutely not. The purpose of iTunes is to play your music, not to test your powers of observation, ability to use Google, and general intelligence. If you didn't see that option, that is Apple's failure. Report it as a bug. (iTunes -> iTunes menu -> "Provide iTunes feedback"). The more people report it, the more likely that someone gets the message.

Dunkaccino

macrumors member
May 17, 2010
is there a way to get cover flow back?
You know where you could see your library in a nice album art coverflow?
Call me crazy, but I like it better than a simple list or a grid. And now you have to be in list view JUST to shuffle music.

I'm pretty surprised Apple decided to cut such a nice feature. Why take it out?

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
WHY IN THE HELL does this stupid program now forces me to unload everything on my iphone??

I ticked the boxes for controlling everything manually, yet it forces my entire music library on my phone. I am about to go insane. What an annoying, illogical, software update.

they should fire their UI designers. Itunes is a bloated mess that is too cramped and too resource intensive.

delphus

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2012
Brazil
minimize

I found pretty awful not being able to minimize it by double-clicking on the top bar like any other app allow you to do. Seems that only iTunes does it. :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.