Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomasman87

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2011
I am getting the 27 inch iMac. Are there any must have accessories, apps, or anything you would recommend?

Thanks in advance.

miguelcoma

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2012
You should buy a good mouse and order a trackpad instead of apple's Magic Mouse (trust me, it's an awful mouse).
I just bought Logitech's MX Performance to play with it before my iMac arrives and I can't be more satisfied.

dryice589

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
You should buy a good mouse and order a trackpad instead of apple's Magic Mouse (trust me, it's an awful mouse).
I just bought Logitech's MX Performance to play with it before my iMac arrives and I can't be more satisfied.

This is exactly what I was going to suggest.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I am getting the 27 inch iMac. Are there any must have accessories, apps, or anything you would recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Apps.
Menumeters--Menu enhancement
Carbon Copy Cloner--Backup Utility App, free up until version 3.4.6
Easyfind--Find everything on your mac, Spotlight can't
Show & Hide--Makes Invisible files visible in Finder
Transmission--Torrents
Kismac--Wireless sniffer
Forklift--FTP
Pacifist--Open .PKG packages Not free
Finderpop--System enhancement

Don't install a virus scanner, if you need/want to scan use clamav

Ant2369

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
Connecticut

I'm also gonna be looking for a mouse. I've had MacBook Pro's for the last few years so haven't bought a mouse in a while and when I had they were all for PCs. I hear great things about the MX but have read the Logitech's aren't compatible with Mac games. I've also been looking into the highly rated Razer mice. Any thoughts? Are there new drivers for the MX to support games

photoz

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2006
Any thoughts on Transmission vs uTorrent?

I'm currently using uTorrent and I know about Transmission, anything better about 1 or the other?

dryice589

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
I'm also gonna be looking for a mouse. I've had MacBook Pro's for the last few years so haven't bought a mouse in a while and when I had they were all for PCs. I hear great things about the MX but have read the Logitech's aren't compatible with Mac games. I've also been looking into the highly rated Razer mice. Any thoughts? Are there new drivers for the MX to support games

I had/have an older MX mouse and did not have any trouble with it at all. As far as games are concerned, most games bind mouse buttons in-game.

I use a steel series mouse and is fully supported on macs.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Easyfind--Find everything on your mac, Spotlight can't
Spotlight can, if you tell it to.

Show & Hide--Makes Invisible files visible in Finder

Making invisible files visible in Finder is as simple as opening the terminal and typing

Code:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool YES
killall Finder

To show them again

Code:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool NO
killall Finder

And that's all that the app actually does.

There is really no need to install apps and waste space for these operations.

MagicThief83

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
NYC
I use the wireless Razer Mamba gaming mouse, as it's hands down one of the best mice I've ever used for gaming and general use. It works natively with Mac OSX. I ordered my iMac with the wireless keyboard and Magic Trackpad. The Magic Mouse does indeed suck! I'll also be picking up the the rechargeable battery set from Apple, along with the SuperDrive, and TwelveSouth's Backpack for the front of the iMac - it'll make for a nice stand.

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
I use the wireless Razer Mamba gaming mouse, as it's hands down one of the best mice I've ever used for gaming and general use. It works natively with Mac OSX. I ordered my iMac with the wireless keyboard and Magic Trackpad. The Magic Mouse does indeed suck! I'll also be picking up the the rechargeable battery set from Apple, along with the SuperDrive, and TwelveSouth's Backpack for the front of the iMac - it'll make for a nice stand.

I've been researching mice and think I'm going with the Razer Mamba as well. How's the battery life on it? What are you going to use the Backpack shelf for?

santatracker

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2012

MagicThief - i just learned that the twelvesouth backpack is not compatible with the new iMac. Its on their website (look on the bottom right on the back shelf product page). I am not sure why its incompatible. But do take a look.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Spotlight can, if you tell it to.

Making invisible files visible in Finder is as simple as opening the terminal and typing

Code:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool YES
killall Finder

To show them again

Code:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool NO
killall Finder

And that's all that the app actually does.

There is really no need to install apps and waste space for these operations.

Seems to be a newbie so that's why I included these Apps.

Is Opening Terminal and typing those commands faster then clicking on an Icon in the Dock?
(I know these commands but I prefer that small little app in the Dock)

Show & Hide 132 KB

EasyFind 1,9 MB

New iMac 27 has what 1 TB!

Spotlight, tell it to a newbie how to search for all files, not as simple as it may seem to you.

These were mere suggestion though.

MagicThief83

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
NYC
MagicThief - i just learned that the twelvesouth backpack is not compatible with the new iMac. Its on their website (look on the bottom right on the back shelf product page). I am not sure why its incompatible. But do take a look.

Oh damn! Nice catch! Could've used it to hold the superdrive or my iPhone. Oh well, they will be releasing an updated version soon to support the new iMac. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Sometimes we fail to read the fineprint lol.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Buy 2 external disks, any connection, and use 1 for time machine and one for a system clone. Better yet buy 3, and keep one offsite or in a safe. I install SuperDuper first thing after buying a new system and make a clone and stuff it in a safe. I rotate 3 HDDs for system backups via clone.

santatracker

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2012
Oh damn! Nice catch! Could've used it to hold the superdrive or my iPhone. Oh well, they will be releasing an updated version soon to support the new iMac. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Sometimes we fail to read the fineprint lol.

You're welcome. I had my eyes on the backpack too, but was disappointed to see that its incompatible. But weren't the stands for the previous gen iMac and the current iMac the same? I am not able to figure out why its incompatible.

MajorBulk

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
Lincolnshire UK
Bluray Player and Writer

Does anyone know of a bluray player and DVD writer that has the 3.0 USB capability?
I've look around, and the only ones I've seen are just 2.0 :(

I'm getting the 27" iMac, should be delivered end December / beginning of January. It'll be my first ever iMac, coming from the PC:eek:

I'm in the Uk, so any help would be most welcomed

michaelmac

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2006
Why all the hate for the Magic Mouse. I absolutely love it - the scroll feature, right-click and so on worth beautifully. I also use Logitech wireless mouse for my work laptop yet, as good as this is, I still would not swap it for the Magic Mouse.

dryice589

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
Why all the hate for the Magic Mouse. I absolutely love it - the scroll feature, right-click and so on worth beautifully. I also use Logitech wireless mouse for my work laptop yet, as good as this is, I still would not swap it for the Magic Mouse.

I don't necessarily hate the Magic Mouse, it's just that in order to get full use of all the gestures in OSX you really need the trackpad. And I game, therefore I preffer a gaming mouse.

It's just my opion that its best to have both a trackpad and a mouse.

Ant2369

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
Connecticut
Does anyone know of a bluray player and DVD writer that has the 3.0 USB capability?
I've look around, and the only ones I've seen are just 2.0 :(

I'm getting the 27" iMac, should be delivered end December / beginning of January. It'll be my first ever iMac, coming from the PC:eek:

I'm in the Uk, so any help would be most welcomed

I was also looking also I narrowed it down to 3. I really wanted the lite on but is back ordered everywhere. I settled on the memorex based on the reviews I read. I've yet to try it as I'm still awaiting my iMac arrival

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106373
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135253
http://www.amazon.com/Memorex-98839-External-Multi-Format-Blu-Ray/dp/B005TFI72O

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Seems to be a newbie so that's why I included these Apps.

Is Opening Terminal and typing those commands faster then clicking on an Icon in the Dock?
(I know these commands but I prefer that small little app in the Dock)

Show & Hide 132 KB

EasyFind 1,9 MB

New iMac 27 has what 1 TB!

Spotlight, tell it to a newbie how to search for all files, not as simple as it may seem to you.

These were mere suggestion though.
Yes, it can be if you wrap up those commands into an Apple script app :)

No harm, no foul. I just think that learning about using the operating system a bit is very beneficial to all users and I can't stand applications that replicate functionality that is built into the operating system. I am looking at you, free memory type rubbish that actually makes the system run slower, but look at all my free memory. Sorry, I am going off on a tangent.

MajorBulk

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
Lincolnshire UK
Thx boto and Ant2369 for your replies :D

As i live in the UK it's disappointing that these are in the US which seems to offer the better deals :(

I'll try and have a better search here...surely they'll be one on for sale in the UK :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.